Emby Server - Prevent Access from Web Browser (User Access Settings)

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

As the tittle states. The option to prevent a user from accessing Emby from a web browser thus giving the ability to only allow connections from whitelisted devices. 

• Like 1

I can make this change but you have to be aware it only lasts until the browsing data gets cleared, and then you have to do it again. if users are clearing browsing data on a regular basis then you'll be doing it very often.

Jdiesel

If that is the case I don't think it will be overly effective way of preventing prevent web access.  

There is no way to uniquely identify a web browser. There is no web api that gives us a UUID or anything along those lines. So basically what we do is generate a random key and save it in local storage and use that as the device Id when communicating with Emby Server.

As long as user is not constantly deleting local storage, this will generally last for a long time, but if they are clearing it out there's not much we can do.

Jdiesel

That is interesting. It isn't a major issue for me at the moment but I am just thinking of ways to better secure my server and manage my bandwidth effectively. One way to do this is to prevent account sharing. 

Maybe a better a better approach is to limit the number of unique device ids that can connect at any give time on a per user basis. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is interesting. It isn't a major issue for me at the moment but I am just thinking of ways to better secure my server and manage my bandwidth effectively. One way to do this is to prevent account sharing. 

Maybe a better a better approach is to limit the number of unique device ids that can connect at any give time on a per user basis. 

yes If we could limit any user to say 3 simultaneous connections at 1 time it would be great