Fast Channel Changing

Vitale4

Vitale4

I noticed on the download site that all of the downloads support Fast Channel Changing, or at least advertises it.  I am wondering how do I get this to function?

I am using HTML5 on a Mac OSX and ROKU devices agains EMBY Server: 3.2.1.0

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thanks

theeternalmushroom

I am not sure exactly what requirements are for 'Fast Channel Changing', but any improvement would help. Maybe the backend matters (NPVR here), but it takes 20-30 seconds to open a stream locally, vs 3-5 seconds directly (say NPVR Kodi plugin)

Yeah indeed. It takes some time.

I tried already many things. But it takes some time to create the stream. Couldn't find the reason yet...

I am not sure exactly what requirements are for 'Fast Channel Changing', but any improvement would help. Maybe the backend matters (NPVR here), but it takes 20-30 seconds to open a stream locally, vs 3-5 seconds directly (say NPVR Kodi plugin)

NextPVR will definitely be streaming to Emby in less than a couple of seconds. Anything above that is stuff that is happening on the Emby side of the equation.

Edited by sub3

htdotson

I'm using an HDHomeRun Connect tuner for Live TV. It works but it takes a little over 2 minutes to change channels. This tuner works instantly on Apple TV and HDHomeRun View. Has anyone else had the problem of it taking a very long time to actually see the video after clicking Play on the channel page in Emby Theater?

maegibbons

I'm using an HDHomeRun Connect tuner for Live TV. It works but it takes a little over 2 minutes to change channels. This tuner works instantly on Apple TV and HDHomeRun View. Has anyone else had the problem of it taking a very long time to actually see the video after clicking Play on the channel page in Emby Theater?

Is this with inbuilt Emby LiveTV??  Do you mean 2 Minutes or 2 Seconds?  I use the CONNECT and staight emby for Live TV (no headends) and channel start time is under 5 seconds.

If its more than 10-15 then there is something very wrong.

Krs

Mark

htdotson

It takes 2 minutes and 5 seconds to be exact - every time. I've used Emby for movie playback for years but this is the first time I have setup the Live TV option. I'm not sure what you mean by 'inbuilt Emby LiveTV'. I'm using Emby Theater 2.5.38 - Live TV. To configure the Live TV I went to my systray in Windows 10 and right clicked the Emby Sever icon and then selected Configure Emby. Should I do it a different way?

maegibbons

No - thats fine - if you have done it in the server manger then thats the "inbuilt" Live TV and you have used the HDhomerun tuner.

Do you run Emby Theatre on the same PC that is acting as the server?  I think from your description you probably do. 

From the server PC if you use a browser to connect to your hdhomerun device  like http://192.168.1.xxx/lineup.html and try and play a channel is it quick to come up or does it take some time?

Trying to see if you have a network issue from server to connect.

Krs

Mark

htdotson

Yes - I was running Emby Theater on the same PC as the server. But if I use Emby Theater on a remote PC, it still takes a long time to come up. I tired it on 2 other PCs on the network.

I can connect to the tuner using a browser on the server PC and the channels come up within a 2 seconds. No problem. FYI - I have 2 connect tuners and they both work using the browser and through HDHomeRun Setup.

Harold

htdotson

Hey Mark,

I found the problem. It's was with the inbuilt Emby Server Configuration - Live TV - Tuner Devices list. There were several old IP addresses listed for my 2 HDHomeRun Connect devices along with the correct device IP addresses. Emby was spending a lot of time looking for devices with the incorrect IPs. I deleted the devices with the incorrect IP addresses and now the stations come up within about 2 seconds.  I also manually assigned the IP addresses to my 2 Connects so I shouldn't have this problem again. It looks like the addresses and devices should be reviewed and maintained if you make changes to the tuners on the network.

Thanks for your time and help in resolving this.

Harold

• Like 1