Live TV suggestions

Chillout

Chillout

(#1) In the EGP guide grid, when I click on a show that's live, it brings up another window that makes me hit play.  It seems like an extra step when I already wanted to watch it. Its a good dialog box to have if the show is in the future to give me the option to record or (#2) switch/auto tune to the next show I want to watch.

(#3) I'd like the ability to record while watching live (and anything that has been buffered) rather than stopping the feed and selecting record.

(#4) It would be nice to adjust the buffer size and padding inside Server settings.

PS. I am trying to migrate the household from WMC to Theater and these are a few of the gripes from the peanut gallery about the interface.  Switching from a familiar interface in WMC to something more advanced like Theater has proved problematic... 

589f95469bbef_Untitled.jpg

Edited by Chillout

It looks like you're in desktop  mode, because in TV mode you wouldn't get that dialog, it would take you straight to the program details. I will revisit that at a future date and probably have it just play (in TV mode)...but desktop and mobile modes will always match whatever the built in web app does.

• Like 1

Chillout

For me, the extra dialog box comes in both Desktop and TV modes.. I am confused why the two modes have different features (ie. EPG scoll bars in desktop not in TV).  It would offer a more familiar interface if they both did the same thing except TV mode was designed with the 10ft viewpoint.

puithove

FYI - you can jump directly to playback, skipping the details screen if you use the play command on the grid.  This is Ctrl-Shift-P on the keyboard, or if using a Windows Media remote hit the Play button.

This works in other parts of ET as well to skip the detail screen like to start a TV episode directly from the Next Up on the home screen or start a movie from the movie poster.

Chillout

I use only an air mouse to watch TV on my HTPC so key stroke short-cuts dont really work for me....  

I like the idea of clicking on the network and starting to play it automatically rather than opening a confirmation window...  thats something the general population could get used to.

58a3ab9859537_Untitled.jpg

• Like 3

I would also like to see this, 1-click play

Some additional suggestions

* Instead of opening up the details windows, why not show a small window somewhere with those details ?  WMC style maybe and show them in the bottom ?

* If a channel is playing, can the guide be imposed over what is playing ?  Again, like WMC

* Or, if a channel is playing, can that channel be shrunk to a small windows in a corner while browsing the guide ?

* I think you know where i am going with this, the closer Emby Theater TV gets to WMC TV/Guide the better.. at least from my pov.  

Edited by Tester
  • Like 3

Guest asrequested

It looks like you're in desktop mode, because in TV mode you wouldn't get that dialog, it would take you straight to the program details. I will revisit that at a future date and probably have it just play (in TV mode)...but desktop and mobile modes will always match whatever the built in web app does.

Luke, in TV mode, would it be possible to have the guide react to mouse hover? Not for movement, just to highlight the show so we can see the details at the bottom. Granted, I can right click and make that happen, but the problem with that is that if I click on a show that extends past the current page, the page scrolls forward and you can't move it back with the mouse. You have to use the arrow keys. If the mouse cursor highlights without moving the guide, that would solve that issue. Either that or use my previous suggestion of being able to drag the guide. Ideally, both.

Chillout

Dragging the guide is a good idea but I'm not sure how many people would think of that... everyone knows how a scroll bar works and the first thing they look for when they need to get around.

My vote would be to add scroll bar first and then add drag option as an extra feature.

Dragging the guide is a good idea but I'm not sure how many people would think of that... everyone knows how a scroll bar works and the first thing they look for when they need to get around.

My vote would be to add scroll bar first and then add drag option as an extra feature.

There is a scrollbar if you enable the desktop layout mode. It is not there in TV mode because users who sit back with a remote are not going to expect to see scrollbars.

Hopefully guys are beginning to notice a few new layout improvements:

- Dedicated play/resume buttons to match our other apps

- If you drill down into recordings from the home screen, this will bring you into the live tv section. It's still very early but ultimately you will have all of the same content and features as the other apps. Please leave any feedback. Thanks !

Guest asrequested

Hopefully guys are beginning to notice a few new layout improvements:

- Dedicated play/resume buttons to match our other apps

- If you drill down into recordings from the home screen, this will bring you into the live tv section. It's still very early but ultimately you will have all of the same content and features as the other apps. Please leave any feedback. Thanks !

I'm liking having the recording(s) menu. Being able to look at all my schedules is great.....though clicking on a show under the series tab gets me the eternal spinning circle. This is a very welcome development. Nice!

Guest asrequested

A suggestion I would make would be to remove the Latest Recordings from the home screen, as they are present under recordings. Seeing them twice, is both annoying and redundant.

Guest asrequested

There is a scrollbar if you enable the desktop layout mode. It is not there in TV mode because users who sit back with a remote are not going to expect to see scrollbars.

And I was thinking of dragging the guide itself, not with a scroll bar. But I do see your point. I won't be getting a remote, as I need the keyboard and mouse for most of my usage

Chillout

Not everyone uses a remote in TV mode... Scollbars or dragging the grid in TV Mode would be useful for navigating the EPG guide grid and using only a mouse. There is no way to do this without using a remote. I was thinking the scrollbar would be the easiest to add since its already been deployed in Desktop mode but anything would be fine.

I tried using desktop mode but the fonts are too small for even a 65" TV and microscopic at 4k resolution.