Advanced Substation Alpha Subs not rendering properly

RanmaCanada
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

RanmaCanada

Screenshot_20170208-212312 is how the subs look on the Android TV app.  As you can see it is not understanding the sub instructions properly, nor is it playing in the right font.  

Screenshot_20170208-212820 is how the subs look in the mobile version of the app, and how they are supposed to look.

If I use an external player, like SPMC, the subs play perfectly fine, with the proper font, etc.  Just curious as to why the mobile version can play the subs perfectly, and the AndroidTV version apparently can't.  Is it a limitation of the player that is used?  Because it's not even using the fonts that are in the mkv file.

if you would like some logs, let me know and I will produce them, as this happens all the time.  I have also updated the app just to make sure (beta) and it is still doing it.  I think it just might be the internal player not being able to handle it, but as I don't see many posts about this on here, I thought I would give it a go.

Btw fantastic work on everything.  S905X and S905 boxes work 100% with the internal player for almost everything (divx/xvid still transcode, but meh).  Keep up the fantastic work.

post-62851-0-58399300-1486607818_thumb.png

post-62851-0-10630900-1486608663_thumb.png

Edited by RanmaCanada

• Solution

Best guess is the subs are external (or the item is transcoding and they were extracted and being delivered externally) which means we are using our custom sub presentation which just presents the straight text in the stream.  The mobile app is probably rendering them with VLC (but not sure).

Try hitting the "!" button during playback and see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

RanmaCanada

When I play through the app, they are still direct playing, so no transcoding that I can see is happening (unless it is doing it and not reporting it)

But I will try and will update momentarily. :)

RanmaCanada

Your suggestion worked EBR.  Thank you.  It is now playing the subs properly, and using the embedded font.