Disable Transcode Setting Globally?

elpirate
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

elpirate

I am aware of the ability to define a DLNA profile for a particular device and have achieved this with my set up, however, despite setting the profile to not transcode by not assigning any formats in the transcoding section and also stating that I would like to direct play all formats, Emby still tries to transcode certain files.

Is there a way or can Emby be developed to have an option to totally disable transcoding?

In my set up, I would rather have a message on my device stating it cannot play an item, rather than have the video partially [play / skip / freeze etc due to Emby transcoding it.

See screenshots below:

589ba8419580c_Capture1.jpg

589ba86c61ccf_Capture2.jpg

• Solution
Happy2Play

Are you sure Emby is using this custom profile?

Have you looked at the per user setting?  Users-select a user

Media Playback

Allow media playback
Allow audio playback that requires transcoding
Allow video playback that requires transcoding
Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding
Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2

elpirate

Well I'm sure it is using the profile as it identifies it in the log.

As far as the user setting goes, my device doesn't require as user profile for DLNA.

I have never had to log in with the DLNA device, the server has just appeared and been accessible.

Why would a user profile be relevant for DLNA without the requirement to log in?

I have, however, since changed the settings for my profile in which I am the administrator.

hi @@elpirate, there is always an Emby user in context, so the users settings mentioned above are the correct approach. By default dlna will use your administrator, although you can change this in dlna settings.

Does this help?

• Like 1

elpirate

Thanks for the info.

I will test this out tonite and report back.

It's good to know that DLNA settings by default are attached to the administrator user.

Stay tuned for results on the advice!

elpirate

Ok so I got my wife to test this morning.

Unfortunately, Emby has still tried to transcode even though I have disabled transcoding for all users. See screenshot attached post-173259-0-41307900-1486689202_thumb.pngpost-173259-0-58394700-1486689217_thumb.png

elpirate

Can you provide the emby server log?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/49-server/

It must have been either a different user or happened prior to I would think. Thanks !

I have attached the server log file and the 2 transcode files.

The test I refer to happens between 10:10am ans 10:15am.

The transcode log files were created at 10:11am and 10:12am (lines up when playback was attempted in the main log).

An example movie I was trying to watch but emby wanted to transcode is Ghostbusters 1984.

I know my DLNA playback device can play this file as it worked with previous NAS I had that used a very basic miniDLNA server that had zero configuration options. (GoFlex Home)

The device Profile name is Telstra T Box. You will see that Emby identifies it in the log before it starts to proceed with transcode, despite me disabling it.

Thanks.

server-63622281600.txtffmpeg-transcode-023092a5-8141-4fff-896e-e490f5d0460f.txtffmpeg-transcode-24608cd7-3e9f-49cf-8efd-5d442d73a154.txt

Edited by elpirate

Ok, my mistake sorry. Yes after further review, we have not extended this all the way down to DLNA so at the moment it won't be respecting those settings. I think somehow that just got missed, probably because most people don't really associate users to dlna devices. We can add this in a future update. Thanks.

• Like 1

elpirate

Thanks for the clarity Luke.

It would be great if this could be added asap so I can use Emby DLNA as it saves me from having to use a dedicated DLNA app (serviio) just for the one device. The videos I can't watch with Emby through DLNA due to it wanting to transcode them work fine in Serviio.

Ultimately it would be great if the watched status compatability was opened up to more older devices as mentioned in another thread however I realise that DLNA is far less prominent these days.

Serviio have nailed their DLNA capabilities (so they should have being a dedicated DLNA app!) and Emby is not far away from having very similar functionality.

Might be a good idea to remove the answered status of the post in this thread referring to the profile options being relevant to DLNA.

Thanks again Luke.

For now what you could do is save the kodi or vlc profile into a new profile as they are designed to direct play everything. then you can adjust the identification criteria to target your device.

• Like 1

elpirate

Also, this means that the fact that I have not assigned transcoding to any file in the DLNA profile for my device would mean that Emby will always transcode all by default if there are no defined formats for transcoding I assume??

Might be a simple fix to remove this from the DLNA profile settings if assigning a User profile to DLNA devices requires too much coding or if there is potential for it to create issues for devices that do not have the facility to enter user credentials to access the DLNA service.

Edited by elpirate

The default profile will direct play the most common containers and codecs, eg. mp4, .ts, h264, aac, mp3, etc.

• Like 1

elpirate

For now what you could do is save the kodi or vlc profile into a new profile as they are designed to direct play everything. then you can adjust the identification criteria to target your device.

Awesome Luke I will try that.

elpirate

I already have the same settings applied for direct play that exist in the KODI pre loaded profile. The only difference is that I have nothing in the transcoding settings, whereas KODI is set to transcode a couple of formats:

589e646380d0b_Capture.jpg

Basically, I think the "direct play all" setting isnt working as it should across all DLNA devices as it still try to transcode.

Edited by elpirate

There isn't such a setting so you can't really say that it's not working. It might be transcoding but there is always an explanation and a corresponding change to the profile that can be made to change it.

elpirate

Well my Custom DLNA profile settings are the same as the KODI profile as seen in the screen shots in this thread with the exception of the max streaming bitrate (mine was lower than KODI) and I just changed that to match and it still wants to transcode the same file that works fine on Serviio and my old setup. Something isn't happening as it should as it won't direct play certain files that other apps do.

Edited by elpirate