Emby Theater for Windows not connecting to Emby Server

JulesC

I've installed Emby Theater for Windows on my HTPC running Windows 10 (Anniversary Update) and trying to connect it to my Emby Server running on Windows Home Server 2011, but I've been unsuccessful.

I was under the impression the "Emby Theater for Windows" app would automatically identify the Emby Server running on the same LAN.  I also tried connecting via the IP Address for the Emby Server, but it didn't work.  I didn't try Emby Connect, because I assumed that was used for remote access.

Please let me know what I may be missing here as I'm very new to Emby...migrating from "My Movies/WMC".

Thanks for your help.

Luke, I tried both and was unsuccessful.  My goal is to install Emby Theater for Windows on 2 HTPCs running Windows 10 (Anniversary Update).  Is it mandatory to add "Users" to enable these connections.  Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.  FYI...I cannot connection my iPads either and I'm using Emby Premier.

It sounds like you are just having general connectivity issues. Can you please describe step by step what the connection failure is? thanks.

Starting the installation process for Emby Theater for Windows (Windows Store app)

post-181856-0-88223200-1486589821_thumb.png

On the next installation screen I see "Sign in with Emby Connect", which I skip since I'm trying to connect to my Emby Server within my LAN.

post-181856-0-22637400-1486589822_thumb.png

Next, I try to "Connect to Server" via the IP Address.

post-181856-0-48973600-1486589822_thumb.png

After it tries to connect for awhile I get this "Connection Failure" message.

post-181856-0-68671800-1486589822_thumb.png

Is this what you were looking for?  Let me know if you need any additional information.  

I tried connecting to the Emby Server from another PC within our LAN via the browser (following suggestions from "Connectivity" wiki), but i received the following error:
This site can't be reached

[iP Address] took too long to respond

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Further supporting your point about "general connectivity issues".

Ok, then i would check out the troubleshooting section. Something is blocking the connection and we need to find out what. thanks.

Good point, Luke.  I reviewed the "Connectivity" wiki.  Once I opened the TCP Port (8096) on the Windows Firewall I was able to connect my HTPCs and iOS devices.

Thanks for guiding me along as I ramp up my learning's for Emby.

• Like 1

@@JulesC

Congrats on sorting it out.  I left WMC with some trepidation, but now I'm not looking back. I've had great success with Emby Theater and the LiveTV recordings have been working great.

• Like 1