Ignore article when sort of ( like a , an , the ) , but with more....

Alex45
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CharleyVarrick

Thanks, been looking for that for a while now

I thought library scan logically had to found in Library, but I guess not.

If already running, it shows in dashboard main page (have to scroll down just a few lines). To start (or stop) it, is in scheduled tasks.

Its already underway, at 13% so I guess Emby figured it out by itself.

Edited by jlr19

Hi , jlr19 , when emby server start , it looks to your system.xml file. If this file is incorrect ( by data , or wrong structure ) , it will reset the system.xml back to defaut .

In defaut , it's like the first time you open emby server , no library , no setup....no metadata.....

So , i think you must do like me , in computer , i always do backup of files before move or editing. Like that , if there is a problem , i'll simply do a copy/paste from my backup files.... ;)

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Hi , first excuse for my poor english , i'm french.

So , first , i modified system.xml , to ignore some article when i sort movie by name ( like a , an , the in english language )

So , I added this line to system.xml

<string>l'</string>
    <string>le</string>
    <string>la</string>
    <string>les</string>
    <string>un</string>
    <string>une</string>
    <string>à</string>

Why , because in french language , we ignore this article : l' , le , la , les , un une , à
Everything is good , except this article : l'       ( letter l with quote ( inclined from left down to hight right ))

So , for example , this movie name : L'Âge de glace , must sort in A logically in french, but in my setup it sort in L )

So , what i am missing ?

( Thanks by advance for your answer , and excuse me for my very poor english )

@@Luke

If I understand correctly, Emby ignores English articles (a, an, the) by default, out of the box,

but not French articles (à, l', le, la, les, un, une)

If Emby users have French titles in their library, these users each have to edit their system.xml file individually (?)

Edited by jlr19

The out of box settings are currently only handling English, yes. It's an area we can improve in in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

An improvement of this detail would be great.

Because editing the system.xml file only works partly for me.

After adding the German articles (der, die, das) to the file and doing a library scan they will be ignored for sorting in the normal movie view. But when a filter, for example watched status or genre, is applied the articles are used for sorting again. The English articles are still ignored when filtering.

So, it looks like this settings in the system.xml will be ignored when using filters for my movie library.

Alex45

Hi , I know i open the post , i was sick last days. 

answer for Kalle : In my emby , articles wil  be ignored , EVEN when a filter is active ( watched status , genre ..... )

So , how i do :

1) stop emby server

2) edit system.xml

3) start emby server

4) remove all my folder for my library

5) add again all my folder to my library

P.S : to keep your current watched status , i suggest you to sync with tracktv

Since my last post I have recognized that it only worked correctly for newly added movies.

So, I think you are right. I have to rebuild my movie library.

But because I have a huge movie collection on multiple disks I'm not very happy about that.

And also I have edited multiple movies by hand, so I think I will wait a little with it. The watched status is no problem, I'm already using trakt.

Yes you are correct. It's an opportunity for improvement for the future. thanks.