Slider to choose how much of the backdrop is visible.

Scott310

Scott310

Hey Guys,

Lately the backdrops have been changing across most platforms. At first it was the blurry backdrop. I wasn't crazy about it but at least you could see the whole thing. Then came the backdrops where its clear but the left half of the screen is blacked out. I really don't like this at all. At times especially with a video backdrop it is unclear what you are looking at. And I'm sure some people may like this. That's why I think a button or slider allowing you to choose if you want the half black backdrop or not. I really want to stay with the official emby theater but if it stays like this I'll have to start using ember. I think the ability to choose how much of the backdrop you see would make everyone happy.

If you are reading this and agree, make sure you like this post.

Thanks for listening guys!

Edited by Scott310
  • Like 12

Scott310

I've also taken the time to ask all of my remote users what they think of it and all of them have said they do not like only being able to see half of the backdrop...

Koleckai Silvestri

I've disabled the visual in the Web App. Not fond of it in other apps. I prefer to see the entire backdrop without modification.

Scott310

Hopefully @@Luke can weigh in on this topic. I recognize how hard they work on the platforms and I don't want to come off like I'm bitching but I get annoyed every time I look at that half black screen. I'm sure some people don't mind it but for me the backdrops are a big part of the experience. If only there was a button in the settings to bring back the whole backdrop if you want, I'd be a happy camper...

Edited by Scott310

arrbee99

Definitely agree. Have also disabled in the web app. A slider would be nice, but if not maybe ET could respect the disabling applied to the web browser.

Scott310

Definitely agree. Have also disabled in the web app. A slider would be nice, but if not maybe ET could respect the disabling applied to the web browser.

How did you disable it in the web app?  I don't see where to do that.

arrbee99

You go to Settings / Branding and paste this...

.background-theme-b .backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, .7)!important;
}

into the space under 'Custom css:' and save. Should work.

You fiddle with the .7 to make the background brighter or darker - had it at .5 but that's a bit bright for me.

Thanks to Happy2Play for that !

Scott310

Great trick !

But apparently this only works in the web app. Is there anything we can do about the other platforms i.e. Emby theater for xbox one? I really would love to be able to see the whole backdrop and not have half of it blacked out.

But apparently this only works in the web app. Is there anything we can do about the other platforms i.e. Emby theater for xbox one? I really would love to be able to see the whole backdrop and not have half of it blacked out.

You can learn how to create skins for Emby Theater here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-302-learn-how-to-create-skins-for-emby-theater/

Let us know what you come up with !

arrbee99

It would certainly be nice, but no idea if its possible. Ember for Emby shows off the backgrounds well though...

• Like 1

Forked 70 times and no one has presented a functional skin?

I think the issue is not everyone wants to deal with supporting users. It is easy to fork, make your own changes and then just call it a day.

Scott310

You go to Settings / Branding and paste this...

.background-theme-b .backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, .7)!important;
}

into the space under 'Custom css:' and save. Should work.

You fiddle with the .7 to make the background brighter or darker - had it at .5 but that's a bit bright for me.

Thanks to Happy2Play for that !

I tried this and it worked perfectly!  @@Luke is there an easy way maybe to have this setting carry over to the other platforms or no? Especially Xbox One for starters? I would be super happy if it was this easy. 

Edited by Scott310

arrbee99

.....we can hope. Also FYI sometimes it seems that fix can occasionally get broken with server updates. Some kind person will usually post a fix.

• 4 weeks later...
arrbee99

I think the issue is not everyone wants to deal with supporting users. It is easy to fork, make your own changes and then just call it a day.

Ah yes but you're obviously very good at this and so can say its easy to fork, but practically the first thing I see in the instructions is 'fork this repository' - how ? then its package.json skininfo.js plugin.js etc all to change maybe one line of code.

So please consider making the cross-fading an option (though yes you do get a lot of requests for options...and it might then require a second option to adjust brightness...)

58c9ab8f5d7d6_ETBackground.jpg

It is not feasible for us to teach github, so that is just something you'd have to research and learn about.

Scott310

@@Luke, I have somebody customizing a skin for me. Once he has altered the code to my liking how do I apply the skin? That is the only part I am confused about.  Your post about creating skins said just fork, make your changes and then apply it in the app.  I am not asking for a lesson in code or github but just wanted some clarification on how to apply a completed skin.

Thanks!

In the app settings in Theater there is a place to install a skin.  Eventually, we'll have a catalog like the server and EMC but right now you just provide an url to the new skin.

Scott310

Thanks @@ebr but I am not seeing where you are talking about.  It only allows me to select the default skin.  The only place I can see where I can see that it will allow me to install something from a URL is under Install plugin. Is that where I should do it?

Koleckai Silvestri

You would install it under Settings -> Installed Plugins. You can install from a URL there.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri