Playing AC3 via WDTVLive

ChrisL

Also - the new MKA file doesn't show up in the folder using the web interface so I suppose thats consistent and has nothing to do with the WD box

Happy2Play

Personally I would think this is normal since mka is usually inside another container, just like ac3 is also.  I have never seen them outside a mkv or mp4 as a standalone file unless I am remuxing files.

Thanks for your feedback guys. I did consider putting the ac3 within an mkv container but was concerned that either MB or the WD box or both would consider it as a video file and not show it up when browsing for music and would probably ignore it in a playlist mixed together with mp3s. I could try that though. My WD user guide http://www.jstv.co.uk/joining/jstvi/manual/WDTV_Live_User's_manual_English.pdf suggests that ac3s and mkas are supported audio file types and my tests have confirmed that via Windows shares..

I won't be able to try this for a few days but I'll let you know

Thanks again.

Happy2Play

See pages 209-211 of the Manual http://www.jstv.co.uk/joining/jstvi/manual/WDTV_Live_User's_manual_English.pdf

Audio on page 209-210 is a little deceiving but I believe only applies to Video Audio, see Page 211 in reference to Music.

Eidt - Had issues with url do the apostrophe.

Edited by Happy2Play

Thanks for looking, Happy2Play. The manual is not as clear as it could be, but I think the supported audio formats on p210 are audio not video audio - I believe WAV for example is a pure audio format and that is in the relevant part of the table. I think the supported formats on p211 relate to music thumbnails and this would seem right because when I successfully play the ac3 track via windows shares I don't get thumbnails. I don't mind that though, I just want six channel audio.

ChrisL

Thanks for your attention Luke. Trying an MKV container didn't show up either. 

Out of curiosity, I played the original AC3 track via the web interface - I have a 5.1 speaker arrangement on my PC too. It went into transcoding and mixed it down to 2 channel mp3. Emby seems absolutely resolute that I should only get stereo from an audio track. Those artists who spend months re-mastering their masterworks for surround sound would be spitting feathers if they knew!

If I play a video with embedded ac3 audio on the web interface ffmpeg translates the audio to aac (not mp3) and - I think - maintains the six channels so it is possible.

I appreciate that most users will actually want their audio mixed down to 2 channels but I'm sure you will understand there will be exceptions where people will want to experience the music as it was originally intended to be heard.

Maybe an Emby audio setting could be devised that could default to the current setup but optionally allow preservation of channels for audio (by using the ac3 native to aac native ffmpeg route) ? I'm sure you'll have a better solution.

Thanks for that, but my browser does support aac and that is what transcoding is (or can) produce.

AC3 is not the same thing as AAC. Your file is AC3 audio, but the web browser does not support that.

ChrisL

Thanks for the feedback. Luke, yes, I know Chrome doesn't support AC3 audio which is I suppose why Emby transcodes it. My point is that Emby transcodes the audio file to MP3 (2 channel) while it could transcode it to AAC which is supported by the browser and can take 6 channels. 

- @Happytoplay - there's no pleasing everyone is there ?