[Help] Playback jitters/freezes/pixelates when transferring new content via SMB and playing a video file on a given machine

djhifi

Quick question,

I have the latest EMBY for KODI beta installed on a Nvidia Shield. That Nvidia Shield has an advancedsettings.xml with "memory buffer" of +/- 300MB.

When I am transfering new files to my NAS and, at the same time, playing a movie/tv show, and the emby for kodi notification of new content pops-up on the Nvidia Shield, the playback stops/freezes/buffers.

The above behaviour, so far, has not occurred with the advancedsettings.xml removed from the same machine.

I have a high end LAN (cat6 cables, good synology, etc etc). I am capable of +/- 80-90mb constant. So why is this happening?

I've been trying to sort out the problem and it seems related to the emby addon "new content" ? Is it possible?

I, on the other hand, don't know why the behavior doesn't happen when I remove the "memory buffer".

I need this setting cause my KODI seems to be suffering with a random freeze and catch up of playback (unexplicably)

Does EMBY for KODI "hang" on the network so much that it completely overtakes the whole band?!

PS: Im on KODI Jarvis 16.1 (spmc)

Edited by djhifi

BasJaspers

I have a similar problem with Blu-ray playback and skipping chapters.

@@djhifi I am wondering what kind of movie file you are using and if you use transcoding or directly play the movie. I can imagine that when you are using buffering that the bandwith is fully occupied for a few seconds especial when using Blu-rays or big size files.

Edit.

My problem is related to the kodi version. Did a test with Kodi 17.0 and than it works fine.

Edited by BasJaspers

Sorry, no idea what that means.

Sorry if you didn't understand. Why I was asking there is if  the addon uses at ALL THE TIME the LAN bandwidth (in my case gigabit) in order for the server message when new content is added being at this moment, freezing and/or making playback buffer when it pops-up?

PS: Im using direct paths and direct play. No transcode whatsoever.

If I remove the advancedsettings.xml (that contains a buffer allocation) the emby for kodi "new content" pop up stops making the playback freeze.

I have a similar problem with Blu-ray playback and skipping chapters.

@@djhifi I am wondering what kind of movie file you are using and if you use transcoding or directly play the movie. I can imagine that when you are using buffering that the bandwith is fully occupied for a few seconds especial when using Blu-rays or big size files.

Edit.

My problem is related to the kodi version. Did a test with Kodi 17.0 and than it works fine.

I am running Jarvis 16.1 and the files are all MKVs. No BD Streaming.

I did not yet install krypton, I will remove advancedsettings (because with krypton a lot of changes to cache were made) and see if the problem persists.

The transfer is probably just going as fast as possible even if that means saturating your network. Does that help answer your question?