Every Other Platforms...

breezytm

breezytm

In my opinion, Emby Theater should be released across all platforms. Keeping things consistent with a modern design. And then the focus should switch over to what matters most. Bug fixes, faster browsing, better transcoding, better scanner, lighter server, feature requests, among other things that matter most. At then end of the day, it doesn't matter what the apps look like, the critique will be on how smooth playback is on all devices. The UI is not something worth wasting time on when you already have something that gets two thumbs up from the community. 

Actually, the modern design is currently what the Android TV app is presenting.  As you said, almost all the apps on the platform look this way as does the platform itself.  In fact, your example for the model of consistency of Netflix, is actually the inspiration for the design of this app (and most of our TV app platform).

New+Netflix+TV+Experience_US.jpg

5895f62386456_moviesuggestions.png

5895f62f422fb_tvlibrary.png

Theater, actually, has a much older and more Windows-centric overall design.  It was based on the Xbox layout that came out several years ago.  Since then, almost all devices in this space have moved more towards the Netflix style design above and we are too.

So, what I actually hear you saying is that you don't like the more modern designs and prefer the (slightly) older Xbox style one.  That's fine and certainly well within your prerogative.  However, attributing that view to "most users", IMO, is spurious and I think that opinion is backed up by the fact that so many new devices and apps are going to the design you see above.

We are working on a more consistent UI across apps and devices but we are working more towards the general idea that is already in this app.  However, we are also working on expanding the reach and platforms of Theater and, since it is very skin-able, there will be other options for those of you who do not like the new designs.

• Like 6

breezytm

I said the Netflix app was consistent across all devices. I never said whether I like it or not. Whether I do or do not like it; I really don't have a choice but to use it. I have been doing so for years. All I am saying is I don't like the current UI in the Android TV. If the objective is to go with that UI, as a customer, I will have no other choice but to use it. Which is fine. As long as all devices look the same way.

I hope that this UI is not the one you guys choose to go with across the board but then again I am not the one who has to code them. Like I said before, whatever is given to me as a user I must use since I don't really have an alternative. I thought Emby plan was to go Emby Theater on all platforms since it seems as if you guys were pushing hard for it and then stopped. 

There are things that each of the TV apps do well and we are taking all of them into consideration.

A consistent interface on all devices would be great. That said I'm perfectly fine with the ATV interface. Easy to use and most of the time you don't even have to leave the home screen because all the new movies and next up stuff is listed there. I like it better than Kodi (artic zephyer) on my main device.

My only gripe is that you have to scroll all the way down when you go into a library to select your view. At least I think that's how it works, don't go to there often because everything is on the main screen ;) I'd prefer if everything was just listed A - Z by default.

Edited by Ponyo

@@Ponyo can you give an example of this?

My only gripe is that you have to scroll all the way down when you go into a library to select your view

I'd prefer if everything was just listed A - Z by default.

You can make the app do that if you wish.

For each library that you want this to be the case, go into the all items view and bring up the options (cog icon).  Select "Grid" for the default view.  Now, every time you open that library, you will be taken directly to the grid view and it will remember your sort and filter settings from the last time you were there.

• 4 weeks later...
breezytm

The TVPlus (Powered by Fandango Now) app looks great. It looks like a combination of Emby Android App and the Emby for Apple TV App. The white background makes it look nice for the living. Perhaps I can make do with the titles. 

Emby Apple TV app look really nice. My friend just got an Apple TV. I had her install the Emby app. After she logged in and I realized how nice it was I got so jealous and mad her uninstall it. Just Kidding :)