Every Other Platforms...

breezytm

It actually had a significant update to the UI just a few months ago but I also plan to re-vamp the Live TV guide to look more like the new Roku design in the near future.

maegibbons

Not sure it needs much.....

Scroll virtualisation on the guide in terms of look and feel.

Android TV is a pretty smart looking app.

Other things are features:

Picture In Picture

Channel up and down

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

Jdiesel

It actually had a significant update to the UI just a few months ago but I also plan to re-vamp the Live TV guide to look more like the new Roku design in the near future.

Yes please. The Roku guide is really nice especially the infinite scrolling. 

breezytm

I want the Home Theater UI. It's like every programmer and designer is designing their app using the Android TV style while most users hate it. The Emby app and the Plex look exactly the same. Go take a look at the Plex forum and see how many people say they flat out "hate it." Plus a universal UI, in my opinion, is very important. I thought that's the route you guys were going. 

@@ebr, I know you put a lot of work into this but truth of the matter is, that design is really not liked by many. Thumbs up when it comes to the live TV. My sister has a roku and she loves the Live TV stuff. 

Vidman

I want the Home Theater UI. It's like every programmer and designer is designing their app using the Android TV style while most users hate it. The Emby app and the Plex look exactly the same. Go take a look at the Plex forum and see how many people say they flat out "hate it." Plus a universal UI, in my opinion, is very important. I thought that's the route you guys were going.

@@ebr, I know you put a lot of work into this but truth of the matter is, that design is really not liked by many. Thumbs up when it comes to the live TV. My sister has a roku and she loves the Live TV stuff.

Perhaps you would like to voice your support here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44190-Emby-Theater-for-Android

breezytm

Can you be more specific though about what you don't like, because you're being very vague.

Nothing in particular. I just do not like the UI period. I think it is all over the place. As I said before, it's not just the Emby app. I can give you a list of all the apps I know of that looks the same way and I dislike them all LOL. I like Emby Theater layout. To me, it is more visually appealing. I guess I just like what I like. I wish i could be more specific but I can't. 

I think you guys should provide a list of skin and let users pick and choose. If that is possible. I am not sure. 

breezytm

Familiarity mostly. Brings me back to my Media Browser 3 days with MBC. I ran that for while. 

Edit: Plus each tab is specific and tells you what's next, what's new, suggestion, etc...

Edited by breezytm

you can't offer anything more specific than that? because quite honestly, if theater were to be made more consistent with the built-in web app, that would also (unintentionally) make it a little more like android tv. at least from the standpoint of the card layouts.

breezytm

Let me ask you a question. Why does every app on every device mostly look different? Netflix on every device looks exactly the same. Hulu, same concept. Consistency is not a bad thing. I can give my niece, nephew and my son the remote and tell them to go to Netflix and find something to watch without them coming back to me and ask me where to go. You know why? because Netflix in my TV, their TV, their mother's TV, my son's TV, their tablets, my son's tablet, Jesus's tablet all look exactly the same. My girlfriend loves Kodi for the same exact reason. Like Netflix, Kodi looks like Kodi everywhere unless you personalize it. That's not to say the Netflix is nicely designed but it is consistent and familiar. 

Just my two cents. You guys have a great design. Capitalize on it. That's one less aspect of the solution to spend energy on and time on. 

We are working on correcting that, and that's why Theater as you know it is going to change a little.

• Like 1

breezytm

We are working on correcting that, and that's why Theater as you know it is going to change a little.

Great. I hope so. In the meantime, I'll be waiting. 

I really hate saying how much I dislike this thing considering how much work @@ebr puts into it but it's the honest truth. Emby Theater is where it is at. Especially with that killer Live TV experience and the guide grid only Emby is providing and no one else. Can't beat that. 

Jdiesel

Let me ask you a question. Why does every app on every device mostly look different? Netflix on every device looks exactly the same. Hulu, same concept. Consistency is not a bad thing. I can give my niece, nephew and my son the remote and tell them to go to Netflix and find something to watch without them coming back to me and ask me where to go. You know why? because Netflix in my TV, their TV, their mother's TV, my son's TV, their tablets, my son's tablet, Jesus's tablet all look exactly the same. My girlfriend loves Kodi for the same exact reason. Like Netflix, Kodi looks like Kodi everywhere unless you personalize it. That's not to say the Netflix is nicely designed but it is consistent and familiar.

Just my two cents. You guys have a great design. Capitalize on it. That's one less aspect of the solution to spend energy on and time on.

I would agree with this. Hardware comes and goes, UI change and get upgraded. I'm willing to bet most people have a mixture of different hardware running Emby. Consistency for Emby is much more than consistency with the hardware's UI. I have a Android TV, Roku, PC running ET all of which are different. I have no problem learning how each work but my family does not. It is best to pick something and stick with it as frequent changes only make things worse and aggravate casual users. If Emby's goal is to be on all your devices it should have the same look on all devices as I doubt most users use Emby on a single platform.

maegibbons

Hi

I think the guys are trying to get consistency over all the apps but are hampered by what the devices can do.

Take the new Roku App.  Far more like the other apps now but only because ebr now has access to new methods to display things differently.

Consistecy - It will come.  There is a resource limitation. 

Whilst UI consistency is important, correcting bugs in, and finishing, functionality is more important IMHO, and there is still work to do there.    Such as Android Mobile sync/playing and LiveTV m3u/epg integration issues.

Krs

Mark

CBers

Every other platform is getting a facelift. When does Android TV get one?

Nothing wrong with it.

I definitely don't want the Theatre UI adding to it, unless it's optional.

Going in the opposite direction, I'd like to see the ATV UI made available to Theatre :)

• Like 2

Vidman

Hi

I think the guys are trying to get consistency over all the apps but are hampered by what the devices can do.

Take the new Roku App.  Far more like the other apps now but only because ebr now has access to new methods to display things differently.

Consistecy - It will come.  There is a resource limitation. 

Whilst UI consistency is important, correcting bugs in, and finishing, functionality is more important IMHO, and there is still work to do there.    Such as Android Mobile sync/playing and LiveTV m3u/epg integration issues.

Krs

Mark

Luke has mentioned there is no technical reason Emby Theater has not been released for android, something to do with muddying the waters by giving users too much choice was the reasoning i believe. I dont understand that reasoning my self as explained here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44190-emby-theater-for-android/

Edited by Vidman

Vidman

Nothing wrong with it.

I definitely don't want the Theatre UI adding to it, unless it's optional.

Going in the opposite direction, I'd like to see the ATV UI made available to Theatre :)

you do realize that with theater comes the ability to skin/theme right? If skins are ever developed in the future:)

CBers

you do realize that with theater comes the ability to skin/theme right? If skins are ever developed in the future:)

Yes, which is why I said the ATV UI could be added to Theatre.

Vidman

Yes, which is why I said the ATV UI could be added to Theatre.

when Theatre is available on most popular platforms then sure the possibilities are endless ;)

Edited by Vidman