Use existing SSL from Server Essentials (....remotewebaccess.com

Sahne

Hi all,

Current setup:

Physical Server 1

Domain Controller: Server Essentials 2012 R2 (using the free remotewebaccess.com domain and free SSL from GoDaddy)

Physical Server 2

Hyper-V Host: Server 2012 R2

- VM1 (Server 2012 R2) - Running Emby Server only - media libraries are on essentials and attached via network

- and many more VM's for different roles (not relevant to this post)

Anyway this is just a brief introduction how I have emby running. After many sleepless nights (easy now once you know what you are doing) I finally managed to use the free SSL (from GoDaddy) which comes with the domain ...remotewebaccess.com with emby.

If anyone is interested on how to do this I will sit down and wright up a step by step guide with screenshots on how to achieve this?

• Like 1

I would be interested. I think this sort of thing is nessessary for something I'm working on right now.

rbjtech

..me too.

I would be using the SSL Cert (GoDaddy) and domain from a microsoft whs2011 install (homeserver.com).  As you may be aware, whs2011 is based on 2008R2, so it's likely to be different than 2012R2 but I'm hoping any processes you provide still work .. 

I'm also just playing with getting Emby working using a non privileged account using the standalone install and that all appears to be working fine - so an SSL connection would be a great next step.

Thanks.

Shouldn't mattter if you are running whs2011, server essentials 2012, 2012r2 or 2016 as long as you are using the free domain from Microsoft. Neither does it matter if u r running emby on the actual server or on a member server. This will take a while to write /create a step by step, once i get more request I will take some time to provide the guide.

Yes this is correct but those instruction are all over the show and not really clear and specific for the server essentials. I am offering a proper step by step guide so everyone can understand and follow from start to end. Up to you guys to decide.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks so much for the write-up!! Your steps worked for me.  I have WHS 2011 setup and Im a newbie to certificates and security. I've been looking through alot of the posts on SSL and they all involved setting up an account with various websites and/or installing new software.  But through no fault of their own none of them mentioned how to setup if you have existing certs and/or domains.  Which made me think that I had to setup new certs and/or new domain.  But in the back of my head I was wondering why I couldn't leverage my existing go daddy cert and domain for this effort.  Your write-up showed me that I could use what I have and was very easy to follow.  thanks again.

Edited by twos50

• 3 months later...
Crestj

Thanks for the guide, very useful!

I'm running Server 2016 and Emby Server 3.4.1.0 so some options are slightly different (mainly on the Emby side) but I managed to get green ticks on all SSL-Checker website!

Unfortunately I am unable to access my Emby Server remotely using HTTPS using the link Emby gives me in the Dashboard.

I just get the "This site can't be reached" when accessing it remotely. 

If I try from a PC on my internal network to that same address it's fine but I guess Emby knows I'm running on the internal network.

Any ideas?

Crestj

I can access my Server 2016 Essentials login page running on my server remotely using the same certificate (working.jpg attached.)

post-181-0-17558800-1525965371_thumb.jpg

Not-working.jpg (attached) shows what happens when I try the Emby page.

post-181-0-49385300-1525965487_thumb.jpg

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html shows all certificates working (all green ticks)

In the Advanced page of Emby dashboard I have not set any "LAN", "Remote IP address filter:" or "Bind to local network address:" entries.

I'm using the default Emby ports, 8096 and 8920.

Crestj

Having read the last few posts in this thread (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56784-emby-stops-responding-to-https-every-couple-days/) regarding disabling of lower level SSL protocols I thought I would try that.

Disabled SSL3 and lower and all RC4 ciphers and rebooted.

Early tests now show I can access Emby remotely via HTTPS.

No idea if this was related to the issues in that thread as there is clearly some HTTPS problem going on in some configs but at least this is working (so far!)

Crestj

Oh, it's gone again.

This is most likely linked to the other thread about failing https connections so will not update this thread anymore.