Updated to 3.5.1 and now I cannot direct stream

eric90066

eric90066

New emby user here!  

I have a qnap ts-451 and was using the previous version of Emby without issue.   

But I updated to 3.5.1.0 and now I cannot direct stream video files.

All the video files I can stream are all transcoding.  

I'm not sure what broke between 3.4 and 3.5.  

Logs are not particularly helpful as far as I can see.  I do notice mono tends to take up a ton of cpu resources.  

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

Attached is emby and ffmpeg log.

Thanks!

ffmpeg log.txt&api_key=743da1eed717455e95a0cdbc7c44773c.txt

server-63621590400.txt

Hi @@eric90066, this particular example is direct copying the original video and only converting the audio. Additionally you're using Chrome, the source file has ac3 audio which Chrome does not support, therefore the behavior would have been exactly the same prior to updating the server.

is there another example you want to look at instead?

eric90066

Hi Luke, 

Thanks for the feedback.  

I never had an issue with any of these videos when using chrome on 3.4.  That is my primary browser and have always been able to direct stream using that.  

OK.  Attached two more ffmpeg logs and server log.   One video I used Chrome, another video I used  Opera (probably should have tested with the same video). Either case, the result was the same.  Nothing using both browsers.

Is there a better browser I should be testing with?

I also noticed a lot of entries regarding my receiver, a sony STR-DN1060. Is there an issue here as well?

Thanks.

emby using chrome.txt

emby using opera.txt

server-63621590400-all.txt

These are direct streams. In the server dashboard when you play these will say Direct Stream. We do not consider these full transcodes.

eric90066

These are direct streams. In the server dashboard when you play these will say Direct Stream. We do not consider these full transcodes.

But they won't play.  When I click on them, I get nothing but the twirling circle.  Only transcodes will play.

eric90066

OK.  Interesting update. 

Now one of the videos (the one marked for Opera) will play -- in Chrome. 

What happened was, the Emby server crashed.  When I restarted it I disabled DLNA debugging. 

I then tried several videos that would not play before and they are now playing. 

What's also interesting is -- the system does not say it is a direct stream, but a transcode (it says 1080p 60).  But the logs do not show a transcode occurred. 

Still the other video (avatar) will not play.    Will try to reboot the qnap and see if that does anything. 

ok. can you provide a log from starting up the server? that file started from midnight. i would like to see the server startup activity. thanks.

eric90066

I am now able to play many more videos.    

Even ones that are clearly direct stream (they do not say direct stream but cpu is 10% and the videos play right away). 

The ones that won't play are in the same directory.  Will try to rebuild that directory and see if that helps. 

the crash came from the realtime monitor and unfortunately it was thrown by the mono runtime in a way we can't catch. if it starts becoming a regular thing then you may want to disable it.

eric90066

I assume by mono runtime you are referring to the real time monitor?

So rebuilt the directory with the files in question and no change. 

I think something you wrote maybe at issue.  The audio codex for the files that do not play are ac3 and dts.  

I don't know about ac3, but it makes sense dts files would need to be transcoded in order to stream.   

So for some reason ac3 and dts audio codecs are not transcoding or streaming.

That brings me to ffmpeg.  In this build I noticed there was not a "system installed" version.  

Is that normal?  Does emby come with its own installed version of ffmpeg? 

eric90066

Follow up -

Just for reference. 

I fixed my problem by using the docker instead of the qpkg.

After installing the docker, I transferred all of my files over and now everything streams without issue.