Channel changing too slow

clarkss12

clarkss12

Been testing the live TV on different Android boxes and the channel changing is very slow, takes from 8 to 12 seconds to change channels.  Using different apps, unrelated to Emby, the channel changing is much faster.  For instance, using the native HDHomeRun app running on the same box takes only 1 or 2 seconds to change channels.  When I tested my Mi Box, (with the official Android TV OS), the "Live Channels" app changes channels instantly.

In order for this Live TV feature to be a real game changer, the channel changing time, must be improved.  Anything more that 2 or 3 seconds to change channels is a killer for the live TV function.

I have no idea what information I can provide to assist in diagnosing the problem and solution.

• Like 1

pünktchen

The problems is well known. It's bandwidth measure if you have auto bitrate enabled, stream probing to know if the client is able to direct play the stream and in worst case transcoding itself. The only solution would be to allow the client to define "I can direct play everything". There's a big thread about it here in the forum.

clarkss12

The problems is well known. It's bandwidth measure if you have auto bitrate enabled, stream probing to know if the client is able to direct play the stream and in worst case transcoding itself. The only solution would be to allow the client to define "I can direct play everything". There's a big thread about it here in the forum.

Thanks, I will try to search for that thread.  In the mean time, I will change from "auto" to another arbitrary bit rate and see if that helps.

Thanks, I will try to search for that thread.  In the mean time, I will change from "auto" to another arbitrary bit rate and see if that helps.

It won't, this is mis-information. The bitrate tests happen in the background and do not delay playback.

maegibbons

@@Luke

If bitrate testing is not the culprit, then why are emby clients so slow at changing channels compared to other apps?

Krs

Mark

@@Luke

If bitrate testing is not the culprit, then why are emby clients so slow at changing channels compared to other apps?

Krs

Mark

Please see post #4. Thanks !

@@Luke

The short answer is because the "other apps" are written specifically for the streams you are watching while we have to be able to handle everything. Also, those apps don't provide features like stream sharing.

I'm certain we can continue to improve this however.

clarkss12

For testing purposes, today I am using my Mi Box (official Android TV OS) as my client.  Using my Pine64 as my server (started to test using my Amlogic S905 box, but Emby killed it, had to reboot) to watch live TV and it takes exactly 12 seconds to change channels.  Now, the picture and audio is freezing every minute or two, totally unwatchable.

Anyway, back to the slow channel changing problem.  The channel is "Direct Streaming"  thought it should be "Direct Playing".  The video quality is excellent and the HD channels play in Dolby Digital.  One other thing, my HDHomeRun tuner has the ability to transcode, and the transcoding is turned off in my tuner settings, but it appears your app is causing my tuner to send transcoded video, because the streaming bit rate is too low for an HD channel, which is playing currently.

Attached, logs and pics.

post-38990-0-46468100-1485888091_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-90726000-1485888091_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-24302800-1485888092_thumb.jpg

Live TV changing channels 12 seconds ffmpeg log.txt

Live TV changing channels 12 seconds server log.txt

Edited by clarkss12

clarkss12

Now I am running the Live TV streams using my Emby app running on my Samsung TV, it plays perfectly using "Direct Playing", and no transcoding.

So, my question, why does the live streams play with "Direct Play" using the Emby app on my Samsung TV, but while using the Emby app on my Mi Box, it uses "Direct Playing" and transcodes the stream???

Also, changing the channel on my Samsung TV is only about 6 seconds, which is still too long, but not as bad as the 12 seconds on my Mi Box.

I am going to test some other boxes now.

maegibbons

@@ebr

I understand you have to deal with all sorts of channels.  So once you work out if a particular channel is hdhomerun or m3u etc etc and how to play it, why not cache this info for next time so you dont have to keep checking every time (if that is what is taking the time).

I think us users just like to understand the problems you are facing. Lukes request to "Report a problem" as in #4 IMHO is pointless as I believe this is a recognised "feature" of emby currently.  I dont know what more can be added than "emby is slow at changing channels".

There is no criticism intended, we just want emby to be better than everything else!!

Krs

Mark

clarkss12

Tested Live TV running on my Zidoo X9S and it is playing using "Direct Streaming", but at least it is not transcoding the signal so my stream is running around 9 Mbps, also plays without pausing every minute or two.  So, it is playing the live stream very well, but no Dolby Digital.

But, again, the channel changing is taking 12 seconds to change.

clarkss12

Tested my $40 Amlogic S905X Android box running your Emby app playing live TV streams.  Good news, the bit rate coming from my tuner shows around 12 Mbps, which is HD, the bad news, your app tries to transcode the stream, consequently, it will not play and times out after a minute or two.

I don't know why it tries to transcode the live stream.

see attachments.

EDIT: By selecting external player for live TV streams, it works exceptionally well using MX Player Pro, or VLC apps, and has Dolby Digital.  However by using an external player, I lose some of the options of the Emby player.  I tested using VLC player, and it has closed captions, but when enabled, the video is jerky.

Again, the channel changing delay is around 12 seconds.

mini m8s 2 ffmpeg log 1.txt

mini m8s 2 ffmpeg log 2.txt

mini m8s 2 ffmpeg log 3.txt

mini m8s 2 server log.txt

post-38990-0-20559300-1485890320_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-47985600-1485890320_thumb.jpg

Edited by clarkss12

Now I am running the Live TV streams using my Emby app running on my Samsung TV, it plays perfectly using "Direct Playing", and no transcoding.

So, my question, why does the live streams play with "Direct Play" using the Emby app on my Samsung TV, but while using the Emby app on my Mi Box, it uses "Direct Playing" and transcodes the stream???

This is often the case because TVs are built to play TV content but Android (and other platform) boxes are really not.

As I said, I'm sure there are improvements we can make here (and we're working on it) but it isn't just a simple switch we can throw or anything.

clarkss12

This is often the case because TVs are built to play TV content but Android (and other platform) boxes are really not.

As I said, I'm sure there are improvements we can make here (and we're working on it) but it isn't just a simple switch we can throw or anything.

Thanks for your answer and I do understand..

• 1 month later...
dcburnquist

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm just adding to this one.

I'm also getting anywhere between 8 and 13 seconds for changing channels. I've used an Nvidia Shiled TV, Mi Box, and Sony Android TV. Like the original poster of this thread, I've experienced no more than 3 seconds for channel changing using the Live Channels app (powered by the HDHomerun App) on all of these devices. Do you have any updates on what's being done inefficiently on Emby vs. most other Live TV apps?

Also, Apple TV isn't completely relevant in this particular instance, but the Channels app takes 2 seconds to change channels, so there's clearly every indication that being able to quickly tune to channels on most of these clients is a pretty reasonable endeavor. Have you figured out what the problem is yet? Emby seemed like the way my household was going to go, but the difference between 2 or 3 seconds and 12 seconds on every channel change every single day could very well prevent some members of the family from being willing to take the plunge.

EDIT: It occured to me as I was writing this that Emby is technically the only media server of the bunch. Maybe there's something to that? Is it possible that generally speaking the server functionality and bells and whistles behind the scenes are getting in the way of Live TV doing it's thing efficiently?

Edited by dcburnquist

We will be continuing to improve channel start time with each new release. Thanks !