FR - Determine show from air date in file name

kamakamadaun

kamakamadaun

Would it be possible to support date based naming conventions for tv shows?

I record a lot of tv shows that have no episode numbers (news magazines etc) and I would like the order to be understood by MB3 so that the next available episode shows up in the "next up" view.

I am using tvheadend that is using the naming convention:

Tv show.2014-01-30

or with time:

Tv show.2014-01-30.21-30

Would it be possible to support this somehow?

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Using the date in the title for distinguishing episodes is not a supported method currently. Naming conventions are here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/?p=21472

However the system will retrieve the air date of the item and hopefully can be used as sorting criteria when playlists are added.

The server is having an "Auto Organize" function for TV Shows added. It is supposed to watch your show folder and then organize them into series and seasons for you. As I don't have Live TV setup right now, I haven't played with this functionality yet.

kamakamadaun

I don't know what you mean by "Auto Organize". I suppose that it finds the show and retrieves data from various databases?

That is only good for shows that exist in databases. But many news or news related shows especially are not present in any databases or have any episode number. So another way to handle them would be necessary. The solution that seems most natural would be to use the air date/time and just sort them in order. I know it is not supported at the moment. that is why I ask :)

Koleckai Silvestri

Sorry didn't see it was a suggestion. Not used to them getting rid of the Feature Suggestion forum yet.

WWWestern

Luke, I think that suggestion needs introduction a new media type for news-like shows: "News" (or some like), where hierarchy as follows Show/Year/Month/Issue - 2014-01-30.wtv

kamakamadaun

If you do this please allow for the time to be included. I have some shows where the show is divided by a small "news break" half-way through. But in the EPG info the two segments are just listed with the same title. only the time indicates that they are not a re-run.

What about calling this "TV shows by air date" or similar?

I don't use windows media center anymore for recording but for the people that do the filename is: TV show_Channel_2013_08_09_18_55_00.wtv

You might consider supporting that too.

trusselo

I have my news shows (daily show and the colbert report) auto-download with Media Center Master, it downloads the shows with date in the name, (as poster has), but then MCM auto re-names them to E##S### format, and MediaBrowser obviously sorts them correctly.

Might want to look into naming your shows differently...

E:\TV\The Daily Show with Jon Stewart\Season 19\The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.S19E57.Bill de Blasio.mkv

also naming them correctly, Media browser will be able to find and pull metadata for that show, im sure it is not doing that now.

see the tvdb page for this show http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=71256&seasonid=529946&lid=7

you need the episode number and season to get metadata (at the moment).

A change that could be done to mediabrowser server, would be, if it finds a date in the video file name, it searches by originally aired date to pull metadata, which would in-tern get episode number and would order shows correctly.

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1

kamakamadaun

The whole point is that the some shows do not have any data in any database.

Say for example you were recording a show like The O'Reilly Factor (god forbid, but it was the only US show I could think of). It has no data in thetvdb (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=70656&lid=7) so there is no way to pull any episode number.

This show even exist in thetvdb but shows in other countries would even not be found there.

trusselo

the shows arent arranged by country, arranged by language.  

O'reilly factor can be found by anyone in any country, they just may not have a localized page for the show (their language).

if you cant think of any other shows, then you obviously haven't run into any shows where this would apply to you. so??? confused to why you NEED this, specifically this way.

if you cant give examples, we cant find fixes..

Edited by trusselo

trusselo, he is using The O'Reilly Factor as an example.  Go check out the link at TVDB.  Only three seasons listed, with only one show listed per season.  How is he supposed to use something like that to get episode naming/numbering info?

He is making a Feature Request, not asking for a fix.  I don't see anything unreasonable in what he is asking.  Why does it matter what exact show he is asking about?  Maybe he is embarrassed about whatever show he is really after (although I'm not sure how much more embarrassing you could get than O'Reilly).  Maybe it is an obscure show about people who suffer from bouts of public diarrhea.

kamakamadaun

Jesus. I am talking about Danish news shows mainly. I assumed noone here would know them or have any interest in what specifically they are: "Debatten", "Deadline", "Ellemann|Lykketoft", "1240K", "TV Avisen", "Nyhederne", "Kontant", "Tirsdagsanalysen" etc.

I used the "The O'Reilly Factor" as an example of a well-known show where thetvdb has no useful info. I assume there is many less known weekly news magazines on CNN and other real news channels that likewise has no useful info to be found.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

People are really just trying to help solve your issue with the tools provided. That way you don't have to wait for a code fix if a solution can be found.

If you modified your naming convention a little, you would probably get what you're looking for though. Instead of showname.date.ext, try:

showname.sYYeMMDD.ext

YY=Year

MM=Month

DD=Day.

So an episode would be Debatten.s2014e0205.ext

If you need the time, add it at the end of the filename before the extension. The system still won't find information for the videos but they'll conform to the system currently in place.

Edited by Wayne Luke

kamakamadaun

Thank you. I like the suggestion. But it doesn't seem to work. I guess it currently doesn't expect 4 digits episode numbers.

I tried:

Debatten\Season 2014\Debatten.s2014e0130.ts

Debatten\Season 2014\Debatten.s2014e0131.ts

and also

Debatten\Debatten.s2014e0130.ts

Debatten\Debatten.s2014e0131.ts

The first way it believes both files are episode 13. The second way it shows there are two files but doesn't list any seasons. No way to access the files.

trusselo

while adding filename date ordering, instead of date derived fetching of metadata, is far less useful, it may just be necessary for situations like this, now that there is more info and some specific examples....

so.. instead of having the server find metadata, we would have to add in media browser center / theater / android / ios / roku oh and server webUI,  veiw by filename date, or date added...?

though, these shows could be added to tvdb, as all shows and info are added by users like us. Most metadata sites are user derived information. Without people like us there would not be the great libraries we have now.

Edited by trusselo

Koleckai Silvestri

Most clients already allow sorting by date added just can be hidden. Roku might be a bit tricky.

trusselo

yeah date added should work...?  what client was the OP using?  oh and recording himself...

kamakamadaun ...  do you know of any metadata websites that DO have the info for these shows??

Edited by trusselo

kamakamadaun

I am sure these shows do not exist in databases with the episodes. Some are in thetvdb and some are in imdb. But without episode info. It would be some work to add this info compared to the number of users per show.

Also they would probably be tricky. They tend to get cancelled if there are breaking news for example (and also in the event national holidays, big sports events on the same channel etc). And there is no published schedule.

I don't know how easy thetvdb is to edit. But I guess it would be possible to add weekly showings up front. But it will be messed up if noone bother to remove entries if the show happen to be cancelled. Also I sometimes catch the rerun if the first showing conflicts with another show that doesn't have as frequent reruns. So having a date based system would really be the most comfortable solution.

Parsing the filename for the date would of course be preferable to date added. I assume something need to be changed in the system despite parsing the filename to allow for episodes being logically ordered by date and not episode number. So that "next up" would work.

I am using tvheadend to record and MBC and android to watch. Many people are using MBC to record so if you do something you might want to parse MBC's filename too or read the info from the wtv metadata.

Edited by kamakamadaun
  • Like 1

kamakamadaun

Now come to think of it the frequent cancellation means that someone would really have to be on top of editing thetvdb to not mess up the episode numbers. And catching the rerun the next day would cause it to miss the db entry.

Not to speak of the horror of managing daily shows.

trusselo

people do it all the time. the daily show with jon stewart, and the colbert report, play 4 times a week, always up to date, before airing.

Koleckai Silvestri

Now come to think of it the frequent cancellation means that someone would really have to be on top of editing thetvdb to not mess up the episode numbers. And catching the rerun the next day would cause it to miss the db entry.

Not to speak of the horror of managing daily shows.

Just takes a couple of people who are ardent fans of each show. Probably only a few minutes of update per day. Most episodes don't have a lot of data. Name, Synopsis and Air Date are the most important.

trusselo

yup, usually just takes one good fan, to get it going, then the gaps fill in by themselves...  or one night of nothing to do and a few left handed cigarettes, and poof! whole show on there...

kamakamadaun

Well being a die hard fan of one or a few shows is one thing. Another one is taking on the whole pool of Danish news related shows...

• 11 months later...