Kinect Connects users with Media Browser Kinect

chef

I wanted to build a Skype interface into the Media Browser Kinect App, but it got super complicated, so instead I spent time and learn what it would take to create my own type of Skype app for Media Browser users.

This is what I came up with in a couple of hours.

So far, it will only work on a home network, however I am going to attempt to get it working over the interwebs.

What this means is that if you run Media Browser Kinect, you will be able to video chat with other Media Browser Kinect users!

Actually pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGKYfRBQwx0&feature=youtu.be

• Like 6

An update. I have the app look for other kinecta on the home network and then connect to their color stream image.

Now I have to read about how to connect to apps running over the internet.

I think this could be a pretty useful part of the app.

trooper11

That is a great idea.  I hope at some point, someone is able to hack together an adapter so that I can use the new Kinect on my htpc and my X1.  My wildest dream is that once MS allows media apps like MB3 on the X1, that will open it up for you to leverage Kinect as its hooked into the system.

I have my old Kinect hooked up in another room now and have been using it with MB quite happily so far.

That is a great idea.  I hope at some point, someone is able to hack together an adapter so that I can use the new Kinect on my htpc and my X1.  My wildest dream is that once MS allows media apps like MB3 on the X1, that will open it up for you to leverage Kinect as its hooked into the system.

I have my old Kinect hooked up in another room now and have been using it with MB quite happily so far.

Trooper, you have been using MBKinect? cool man!

trooper11

Trooper, you have been using MBKinect? cool man!

Yes I have.  I finally had time a couple months ago to set it up in our living room.  The theater room now has the X1 Kinect, so I moved the old Kinect into the living room with that htpc.  I'm still playing with some of the settings to customize the experience, but I'm happy to say its been reliable so far.  I can't wait to see how its further expanded going forward.