TrueHD/Chapter Playback Issue on ShieldTV

Savage13

Savage13

Hello folks, I just bought an Nvidia Shield TV yesterday.  Your work on it has been amazing!  I can pass through DTS-HD and TrueHD and the auto refresh rate works like a dream.  Seriously, big kudos guys!  I did run across something rather odd while playing with it, however.  On movies with TrueHD sound, if I skip ahead or start playback from a chapter as opposed to the beginning of the movie, the video plays at about 1.5-2x normal speed while the auto plays normally causing a very jarring experience.  This does not happen with DTS-HD movies, just the TrueHD.  For now I'm passing playback through to SPMC which is working just fine when skipping (though it does not report back to Emby the spot where it should resume next time if I play again....any work around for that in the meantime?)  If I can get this sorted out (even if it's just a workaround for resuming movies with SPMC as an external player) this little box will literally become my perfect HTPC solution.  Thanks in advance! 

(server log for time of playback attached)

emby log.txt

Does this only happen with direct chapter playback, or any resuming?

If you are getting TrueHD, I assume the item is direct streaming?

MSattler

Yup, same issue here.  Play back the movie from the beginning and it's fine.  Skip ahead to any chapter, and it has the issue.

If I start fresh from a specific chapter it does it too.

Direct Play

3.1.269.0 beta

1.3.19g

Thanks!

Savage13

It does it either on a direct chapter playback OR resume.  Direct streaming....TrueHD audio still plays (at normal speed) but the video is sped up and jumpy.  

MSattler

Unfortunately, sounds like an issue in Exo.  Hopefully, a future update will fix it.

Is this based on some other evidence of other products that use Exo, where the same thing happens?  Or are you just drawing this conclusion based on that you cannot find anything?

Edited by MSattler

MSattler

FWIW,  the way it plays back is very much the same way stuff plays back when the refresh option is on.  Except it's off.

Is this based on some other evidence of other products that use Exo, where the same thing happens?  Or are you just drawing this conclusion based on that you cannot find anything?

It isn't a conclusion but a guess at this point and it is based on the fact that we are not in control of the syncing of the audio and video streams.  When direct playing the item, that is handled entirely by the player.

MrWebsmith

ebr -

would this be another reason to have some sort of advance setting for force playback to vlc then?  could you code a beta so that we can test that as a theory at least?

• Like 1

CBers

ebr -

would this be another reason to have some sort of advance setting for force playback to vlc then? could you code a beta so that we can test that as a theory at least?

Would still like to see an option where we choose which player to use, exoplayer or VLC, so that playback starts with that player rather than having to switch as playback starts.

MSattler

Interesting, Plex does not give me any issues skipping ahead.  Guess I'll just start watching Plex again.  Love the back and forth.

• Like 1

ebr -

would this be another reason to have some sort of advance setting for force playback to vlc then?  could you code a beta so that we can test that as a theory at least?

No because LibVLC cannot bitstream TrueHD.

MrWebsmith

ok.. just wondered

i just hooked my new gen2 shield up to the avr so ill be doing some more testing of the hd audio formats, ill see if this bug with resume-based playback affects my setup as well

• Like 1