Server - "Group movies into collections" per user

mastrmind11

mastrmind11

I want them grouped, other users don't.  Push the feature down a level and make everyone happy.  Thanks

• Like 2

mastrmind11

woah.  really?  so then how about both levels, off everywhere by default,  global overrides child?

Koleckai Silvestri

Would prefer the return of the per-user setting as well. Not sure why it was changed.

The proper way to have "Global" settings is to allow them to be overridden at the library and the user levels. If people don't want the users to change this, they can turn off that functionality.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

One reason changes like this are made (in addition to simplicity) is performance.  The more you have to run through the decision logic of what to show each user, the longer it takes.  So, sometimes we have to compromise on some of these features to get gains in other areas.

Koleckai Silvestri

Hopefully, one day we get the option to use a better database system like MySQL/MariaDB or PostgreSQL. Then we can have features and performance.

Hopefully, one day we get the option to use a better database system like MySQL/MariaDB or PostgreSQL. Then we can have features and performance.

Quite possibly but I wouldn't assume that would be a silver bullet.

• 1 month later...
d00zah

I wanted to elaborate further on this request, as it represents one of my few remaining 'nits' to pick with Emby. Admittedly, my use case is simple... the original MB2 model... manage/audit in browser, enjoy in EMC.

While I prefer having movies grouped into collections for clients (makes sense when navigating large libraries), managing things in the webUI can be a tad clunky when I need to go back to the config section to toggle the option just to get a reliable total movie count. Formerly. separate admin/user account settings addressed this.

IF making this a per-user option again is simply out of the question, I wanted to propose some potential alternatives (in order of preference... mine):

- Ignore this setting in the webUI... the 'Collections' view is only 2 options to the right making grouping redundant.

- OR -

- When sorting movies by anything other than 'Name', automatically un-group collections. .. results end up weird with collections at end/beginning of list otherwise.

- OR -

- Provide an accurate total movie count at a glance even when displaying grouped by collection. This ought to apply to the 'Reports' section, too. Not a complete solution, but addresses the issue I encounter most often.

EDIT: Or simply the ability to toggle the option directly from the 'Movie' view?

I realize these suggestions don't address all other user preferences, but it's a start. Thanks for your time.

Edited by d00zah

Well if we have the web app, or any app ignore it, then we'll have to deal with constant reports of it "not working".

d00zah

Fair enough, that addresses option #1. How 'bout the others? Option #2 suggests something similar to how the list behaves when applying a filter, so it's been done. That's why I proposed a number of potential options.

EDIT: or even a Grouped/Ungrouped filter depending on the state of the setting?

Edited by d00zah