Audio, NO video

x88dually

x88dually

Went into emby yesterday on a dumb tv with firetv.

went to watch a tv series, got no video but audio worked just fine. Went to another dumb tv with firetv and emby app, same situation.  hmmmm

Tryed both sam smart tvs, waala. Works.  HMMMMM

PCs play, smarts play, fire's crap out. DG UPNP player on firetv;s works on same vid's   HMMMMM Seriously.

Used media info on harddrive, mpeg4 vid's in mp4 containers.

Wondershare (changes resolution and adds ac3 5.1 sound, handbrake doesnt), to the rescue, 264 mp4's, worked just fine.

Problem resolved

Hope this helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...
justdrooit

I've noticed this on my T95m Android media player which used to work perfectly. I get audio but no video. I'm not seeing anything in the log even looking like I'm attempting to play/transcode the movie or TV show I want to watch... (yet it plays the audio)

I'm certainly not converting my entire library to satisfy my Android box...

I factory reset my android box last night and reinstalled Emby for Android TV on it. It didn't solve the problem. Nothing showing up in the logs on the server, as if I never attempted to play anything. Does this happen when Emby thinks the player can play the file natively? (That media player should be able to play everything I have natively)

It's not a bandwidth issue as my stand-alone HDHomerun player on it works perfectly.

I read sometime back that there was an issue with the current release of FFMPEG and that people were getting around this by either rolling back their version to the previous version or downloading a brand new Emby app that had "a workaround". Err... I put the one in the Play Store on it last night...

It works perfectly on my LG V20 phone and in Emby Theater.

Any ideas?

During playback (when there is no video) bring up the OSD by hitting any button on your remote.  On that OSD, there is an icon with a "!" in it.

justdrooit

Okay I did that and it asked if I was having trouble with audio or video, and I hit yes, and then everything played perfectly. Then I went to another episode and it was showing no video. Repeated the process and it worked. It kept doing this until the 4th or 5th episode and then it came back with "too many errors" and quit playing. I could start it again and hit "i" and it would play.

Soo... still nothing showing in the log except what my girlfriend was watching on her tablet, which worked fine. How do I fix this?

Can you please post the media info from the web app for the item that is exhibiting this problem?  Thanks.

justdrooit

Every video I try is doing this, xvid, x264, and x265.

From Media Info 0.7.80

General
Unique ID                   : 0 (0x0)
Complete name               : M:\Videos\TV\Man Down\Season 3\man.down.s03e05.720p.hdtv.x264-tla.mkv
Format                      : Matroska
Format version              : Version 2
File size                   : 457 MiB
Duration                    : 23mn 25s
Overall bit rate            : 2 725 Kbps
Encoded date                : UTC 2010-02-22 21:41:29
Writing application         : no_variable_data
Writing library             : no_variable_data

Video
ID                          : 1
Format                      : AVC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile              : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC      : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames   : 5 frames
Codec ID                    : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width                       : 1 280 pixels
Height                      : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 25.000 fps
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 8 bits
Scan type                   : Progressive
Writing library             : x264 core 148 r2705 3f5ed56
Encoding settings           : opencl=1 / cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                    : English
Default                     : Yes
Forced                      : No
Color range                 : Limited
Matrix coefficients         : BT.709

Audio
ID                          : 2
Format                      : AAC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile              : LC
Codec ID                    : A_AAC
Channel(s)                  : 2 channels
Channel positions           : Front: L R
Sampling rate               : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate                  : 46.875 fps (1024 spf)
Compression mode            : Lossy
Default                     : Yes
Forced                      : No

From the Emby Web App:

Media Info
VideoCodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate2724 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
NAL4
AudioCodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleAAC stereo Default
Containermkv
PathM:\Videos\TV\Man Down\Season 3\man.down.s03e05.720p.hdtv.x264-tla.mkv

Did your Android box recently have an update?

I don't know why that shouldn't play fine but this is a non-standard box so can't be sure.

justdrooit

No, not since last year. Updates are very rare for these things. Now there was a time where I was having problems playing a movie and I went and changed it to use an external player, but since then, as I mentioned earlier, I've done a factory restore on it, so it's pretty clean.

Is there any way to get this to start showing up in the log on the server? Hard to troubleshoot problems if there's no mention of it in the server logs.

There's a reason I really would like this one to work again. The TV it's hooked up to doesn't have HDMI on it, only DVI and lesser connections, but it's still a 27" 720p flat panel. I've found most other media players won't even show a boot screen when using a HDMI->DVI & stereo plug converter as they seem to have HDCP on them from the start which my poor old TV in my bedroom doesn't support. I've managed to get it working with an old FireTV Stick, but almost everything needs transcoding with that which pushes my server a bit more making it a little less available for my family as better than half of my content is x265. Yes, I understand the reasoning behind HDCP, but it's a PITA for someone that would prefer to not throw out perfectly good working TVs.

Edited by justdrooit

The lack of HDCP could very well be why there is no video...

You can follow the instructions in How to report a problem on sending a log from the app.

Rumbaar

Sounds like a very similar issue I'm having with my Nexus 7 and playing MKV files with a certain "Profile".   I too was getting a black screen and audio only.

Can you try playing the file in browser, and moving to the middle of the media (so there is an image on screen).  Then go to your device and try playing from resume and see if it renders the frame (with image) and just hangs there but audio continues?

justdrooit

Yeah, I often will watch something downstairs on my home theater PC and then as it gets close to bed time, I'll stop it, head upstairs to bed and then watch it on the media player up there. So, there's a lot of doing pretty much that each day.

Now I noticed a *few* videos play, but I know I couldn't get Enemy at the Gates playing no matter what on the the T95m media player last night. Hitting the i and clicking on the Are you having trouble playing audio or video (yes) did not fix it. Could only get audio.

Now when I configured an external player (VLC), I got the opposite. I could get video, but no audio!

I sent the log last night. Should be 2 or 3 of them you received.

Edited by justdrooit

Can you please provide this information?  Thanks.

• Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

justdrooit

Enemy At The Gates 2001 1080p BluRay x265 HEVC 10bit AAC 5.1-LordVako.mkv

Rough estimate on time was around 8:50pm EST

Name was justdrooit

Many thanks (in advance) for your help, ebr

Edited by justdrooit

Something about the video cannot be rendered in the Google player.  Here's what we get from it:

Track:0, id=null, mimeType=video/avc, res=1920x816, supported=NO_EXCEEDS_CAPABILITIES

The capabilities in question very well may be HDCP support as you aren't supposed to be able to play HD without that.

• Like 1

justdrooit

Hmm... This used to play everything. I mean everything... I wonder though... I believe the screen in setup is set for 720p60, but it also gives 1080i as an option and I'm pretty sure I've set it to that before and the screen looked fine. I'll give that a try tonight. (I mean I think the odds are against it fixing it but I'll try it)

Thanks again ebr. :)

Edited by justdrooit

justdrooit

Yeah... that didn't work. Now I did watch The Big Short in 1080p x265 10bit on it last night and it worked perfectly. And yet I tried resuming/playing Enemy At The Gates which was 1080p x264 8bit and just sound and no video. Very strange. I would have expected the x265 to be the one that wouldn't play if there would be one that wouldn't play...

EDIT: Sorry, Enemy at the gates was also 1080p x265 10bit

Is there any way to tell what exactly is meant by "supported=NO_EXCEEDS_CAPABILITIES"?

This movie's settings: 

Video

CodecHEVC
ProfileMain
Level120
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate2121 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Audio

Languageeng
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng Surround
Subtitle

CodecSRT
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
TitleUnd Default
Edited by justdrooit

justdrooit

Well, I took that media player off of my tv and tried setting back up my FireTV (last year's ed). Before I wasn't able to get it playing through the DVI on the TV, but it worked this time. Tried Enemy at the Gates and that worked fine. Just wish the FireTV had a true on/off button/switch. It's sleep mode leaves the TV screen active.

Side note: It seems Amazon has improved the FireTV a little over the last year. Pretty snappy performance. Curious though, does the Emby app update automatically on the FireTV? I didn't see it show an Update box on it while my SlingTV did have an Update box. Worked great...