Samsung UN55J6300

Jay204

Hey folks,

I am looking to move over to Emby from Plex because I'm using a QNAP TS-231 which is notoriously bad for needing multiple daily restarts when using Plex.

However, I have a Samsung UN55J6300 which I purchased less than a year ago.  

Sounds like I may be out of luck in running Emby?  I'm pretty sure my Samsung OS is not Tizen.

Any feedback?

FrostByte

SamES/cmcg it appears that the chart below is wrong and the line separating Orsay/Tizen sets should be moved up to include the 15TV_STANDARD2 category sets with the Orsay sets.  Not sure what it would take to add them all (or maybe just add all J-series), but if they can load the app then I would assume they are running Orsay and it wouldn't hurt to just check for "J" in the appropriate column

http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specification/tv-model-lineup

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Hey thanks very much for responding so quickly.    I've been reading the links you provided and am getting stuck, unable to find any way to get a popup box that would allow me to enter the IP address.

You can logon as develop (user "develop", password "000000") by clicking the menu button and than select Smart Hub and in there Samsung Account menu on your remote.
After you logged on as develop you can press the smart hub button on your remote. Go to my app's list and on one of the installed apps hold the enter button down for a few seconds.

This just doesn't seem to work for me.

SamES/cmcg it appears that the chart below is wrong and the line separating Orsay/Tizen sets should be moved up to include the 15TV_STANDARD2 category sets with the Orsay sets.  Not sure what it would take to add them all (or maybe just add all J-series), but if they can load the app then I would assume they are running Orsay and it wouldn't hurt to just check for "J" in the appropriate column

Yes, if you think all J-models support HEVC.  We should just treat all J series same as H

FrostByte

FrostByte

Thanks, that's my fault then.  According to this the J6200 is Tizen also,

but Samsung told Luke it isn't :)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43747-emby-app-not-listed-in-smarthub-for-model-un50j6200/?p=410833

Then someone else said their J6300 wasn't Tizen either.  So I basically just gave cmcg all the models in that box so he isn't having to change it all the time. 

Edited by FrostByte

Oh wow, that linked video from Samsung looks exactly like my UN55J6300.  I had no idea I was running Tizen.

My first move WAS to just search for Emby in the app store but it does not come up.  Would this be because I am in Canada?

If that's the case, I'd need to install it manually in developer mode from an IP address, right?    

Sorry for being so nooby guys.   The older I get, the more this stuff passes me by.

FrostByte

The are kind of two problems going on.  We're finding out some of the J-series sets aren't really Tizen that are being advertised as Tizen and secondly the Tizen app is only available in the US right now.  Luke is working with Samsung, but it seems like they are draging their feet.

Since you are in Canada (I couldn't tell from your time zone) then that will definitely stop you from seeing the app in the store.  There is a work around where you can fool the TV into thinking you're in the US, but you may lose the ability to use some local apps. 

Edited by FrostByte

Well...I can tell you that the two you added so far do NOT support H265 so that may need to change  :) , but there are some that do.

Looks like I screwed up the J52.  Looking back through the threads, I think this was supposed to be J62=H not J52!  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43747-emby-app-not-listed-in-smarthub-for-model-un50j6200/&do=findComment&comment=410983 and I think I mistook it for JU6200 (which supports H265 according to the 2015 model specs)  and must be different to J6200!    There is no consistency in this model naming!

Great job digging up all the manuals

FrostByte

Ya, it's screwy that they can have a J6200 FHD model and then reuse the same number for a JU6200 UHD set.  There is also a H5200 Blu-ray player that wasn't able to load the Orsay app.

Right now it's all just confusing because the charts from the Samsung developer's page appears it has some things wrong and no one can tell for sure what they have.  They need a big splash screen that says "TIZEN".  Maybe the support menu says it

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

So assuming that I really am running TIzen, is there any way to load the app in developer mode from the internet or a USB stick?

Well thanks for all the responses, folks.  I appreciate it !

Guess I am stuck with Plex until Samsung updates their Canadian app store.

FrostByte

Well thanks for all the responses, folks.  I appreciate it !

Guess I am stuck with Plex until Samsung updates their Canadian app store.

Well, there's a third way that people have gotten around that successfully, but it requires you to change the country settings on your tv

I contacted Samsung Canada and asked about Emby.   It was a bit of a bizarre conversation that really went nowhere.

Jackson: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?

Jason: Hi there. I have a Samsung UN55J6300 television.

Jackson: Hello, Jason. How are you doing today?

Jackson: Please go ahead with your question.

Jason: I'm great, how are you?

Jackson: I am doing good. Thank you for asking.

Jason: Ok, I've tried Plex but am having a few compatibility issues with my NAS media storage. I have been reading up on Emby and understand that it is available in the Samsung U.S. app store.

Jason: However, I cannot find it in Canada.

Jason: I guess I am just wondering if it is scheduled for release? Is there any reason I can't get it here in Canada?

Jackson: I understand that you are experiencing difficulties with the Plex app. Let me check how I can help you today.

Jason: Great, thank you.

Jackson: You are welcome.

Jackson: We certainly understand your concern and requirement. Firstly, we would like to inform you that Samsung TV's are only platform for applications.

Jackson: It is the decision of the application manufacturer for adding the application to the TV models in Canada.

Jason: It's my understanding the Emby has made the app available for use, it's a matter of Samsung making it available via Smarthub.

Jason: Not to argue.

Jackson: Smart Hub is a plat form to download the apps in it. However, Samsung does not have control over adding the apps in Smart Hub. The App Manufacturer should add the app in the Smart Hub.

Jackson: I sincerley appreciate your understanding re grading the applications in the smart hub.

Jason: it's my understanding that Samsung tests, approves, and restricts the apps prior to approving them for distribution via Smarthub. So you're saying anyone can write an app and just post it to Smarthub without Samsung's blessing?

Jackson: I certainly understand your concern, the app publisher selects the models for which they are willing to add the apps as they have their software requirements.

Jackson: Those apps are tested for the particular models and will be added to the model through firmware update.

Jason: Ok. Thanks for your time.

Jackson: You are welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Jason: This model uses the Tizen OS, right?

Jackson: Yes, you are correct, Jason.

FrostByte

Heh, all my conversations with them go about the same way.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I certainly understand your concern".  They are clueless and go from a script.

Are you going to try the work around?  The only downside is that you may lose the ability to use some local apps i.e users in UK lost their BBC app, etc.  The instructions are toward the end of the Status of Tizen thread

Edit: I'm not responsible if you screw your tv up though :)

Edited by FrostByte

Yeah, I dunno.   There are one or two Canadian apps I'd rather not lose.   I may give it a shot this weekend.... mayybee.  :)