Lost Direct Play (v.1.3.2)

dimitrik
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

dimitrik

As of the latest version, I seem to have lost the ability to direct play mp4/ h.264 files.

The web client on safari for iOS does not have this issue, files direct play just fine.

Any ideas what could be responsible? Am I the only one who has this problem?

In addition to that, please also offer some discussion about why feel you've lost direct play. thanks !

dimitrik

Thanks Luke. I will post a server log tomorrow. As to the discussion, I can't really say much. It used to work fine until last week. Today I tried resuming a file and noticed it was transcoding. I tried a few more and saw the same behaviour. Then I tested the iOS web client and noticed that direct play worked there.

I have the latest version of iOS 10.2 on an iPad Air 2 and I'm running the server on windows 10. Is there anything else that would be useful? The loss of functionality seems to coincide with the last app update but I can't be certain about that.

Edited by dimitrik

No, other than check the in-app bitrate setting. Perhaps you customized it to a lower value and that is causing transcoding. If you did, try setting it back to Auto.

dimitrik

No I already checked that. It's still on auto. In any case even if not it would still give me the option to select direct during playback, right? But it doesn't. I can only select playback modes up to the file resolution.

Can you discuss the example? if it is not direct playing, can you please also attach the ffmpeg log? thanks.

dimitrik

Sorry, there was no ffmpeg log generated. Just the server log. What does this mean?

Edited by dimitrik

Then that would mean it is direct playing, and sure enough in your log I see lots of direct plays. I don't think there is actually a problem here.

dimitrik

Could this be a change in the UI of the app? Until the last version, when using direct play, if you clicked the little "gear" it gave you a list of resolutions and nitrates as well as an option called "direct". Now that last option seems to be gone.

Could you add it back in?

• Solution

It is just a UI change yes. We'll add a force direct option in a future update. thanks.

• Like 1

dimitrik

Cool thank you. So it turns out I had "lost" direct play after all, just at the UI level ;-)

Edited by dimitrik

• 2 months later...
dimitrik

Hi Luke and thank you.

The version just made available at the App Store is 1.3.4.

On this I can see a new playback quality option called "auto" which I have not noticed before, however I can not tell for sure if this is doing direct play or not. I think it does as I can see very smooth playback on .mp4 videos which the iPad definitely can play natively. On WMV I still get the "auto" option, but seeking is choppy which I guess is because of transcoding.

Is this what you meant or should I wait for 1.3.5 to be released?