beta - new app missing icon

speechles

r1U8Jdt.png

The little purple [roku] icon to identify the platform is missing. Did you change the "roku" to "rokusg" and because there is no icon for rokusg we see none?

Also, can getting friendlydevicename() back in the app be reviewed?

Edit:

Nxh4slk.png

Okay, so the "client" did change this is why there is no icon. We needs an icon!

That DeviceName isn't mine.. heh.. get it? friendlydevicename() is missing..

Edited by speechles

@@ebr I figured this out. When you alter the "client" from one the server already knows, you need an appiconurl in the authorization header to get an icon.

authString = authString + ", AppIconUrl="+ Quote() +HttpEncode("http://ereader.kiczek.com/rokublue.png") + Quote()

Note: httpencode is just an alias for escape

ununU09.png

Custom app-logo now. Fits with the way I two-toned the emby logo. Not sure you are doing this or not, sharing is caring. Make a cool logo to show there. :D

Edited by speechles

Note: httpencode is just an alias for escape

Yes, but it is marked as deprecated so I would start using Escape().

Also, can getting friendlydevicename() back in the app be reviewed?

This wasn't removed.  Try blanking out the value in the app settings.

Blanked it. Removed the new app from the "devices" section of the server. This is how I know you changed the client to "Roku SG": which caused it to lose the icon. It isn't using the friendlydevicename(), instead of argue, see for yourself, check your code or something.

Roku Ultra

This is what I see.

Yes, but it is marked as deprecated so I would start using Escape().

You silly

Function HttpEncode(str As String) As String
    obj= CreateObject("roUrlTransfer")
    return obj.Escape(str)
End Function

As I said, it is an alias.

Blanked it. Removed the new app from the "devices" section of the server. This is how I know you changed the client to "Roku SG": which caused it to lose the icon. It isn't using the friendlydevicename(), instead of argue, see for yourself, check your code or something.

Roku Ultra

This is what I see.

If you want me to continue to cooperate with you, you are going to have to start to display some sort of common courtesy on this forum - towards me and everyone.

The code was not changed so I am seeking help in finding out why you are seeing something different than I am.

globals.AddReplace("rokuDisplayName", CleanName(device.GetFriendlyName()))

5888c275561b6_rokudevicename.png

My best guess here is the problem is related to the fact that the app also has its own customize-able device name.  I'm going to remove that and we can just direct people to the official Roku method of device naming.

My best guess here is the problem is related to the fact that the app also has its own customize-able device name. I'm going to remove that and we can just direct people to the official Roku method of device naming.

No.. read above, luke is going to remove those "stock" icons. You will need to send your own url for the icon from your app.

The reason it changed is because you changed the "client" name. You had "Roku/SG" before. This would become "Roku" and give the stock roku icon. Now its "Roku SG" and its own app. It needs an icon.

It doesnt matter what the iconurl sent with capabilities is. The server wont use it. You must send an AppIconUrl in the authorization headers with the url to your icon.

You can let users also modify the appname in app. Let me show you how I do this:

modelName   = device.GetFriendlyName()
       ... snipped irrelevance ...
       GetGlobalAA().AddReplace("rokuModelName", modelName)

This is the appmain code. Initialize the modelName with the friendlyDeviceName every time. Global var style.

displayname = FirstOf(RegRead("prefDisplayName"),"")
    if displayname = ""
        displayname = firstOf(GetGlobalVar("rokuModelName"), "Unknown")
    end if

This is the code in preferences. If the user does not give a preferred display name,  the friendlydevicename is used.

This lets a user create a custom name, use it, then delete it, and get the fallback to the friendlydevicename. This is how the servers change device name works. If you use a custom name and delete it the original is used.

dname = FirstOf(RegRead("prefDisplayName"),"")
    if dname = ""
        dname = firstOf(GetGlobalVar("rokuModelName"), "Unknown")
    end if
    chars = dname.split("")
    name = ""
    map = ["@","A","B","C","D","E","F","G","H","I","J","K","L","M","N","O","P","Q","R","S","T","U","W","X","Y","Z","[","]","^","_"]
    for each char in chars
        if asc(char) > 127
            char = chr(95)
            else if asc(char) = 34
            char = chr(39)
        else if asc(char) < 32
            char = "^"+map[asc(char)]
        end if
        name = name + char
    end for
    authString = authString + ", Device=" + Quote() + name + Quote()

Then the code to send the authorization. This falls back to the friendlydevicename the same if there is no preferred device name. Then runs it through that standardizing code.

How are you attempting to do this?

If you want me to continue to cooperate with you, you are going to have to start to display some sort of common courtesy on this forum - towards me and everyone.

The code was not changed so I am seeking help in finding out why you are seeing something different than I am.

globals.AddReplace("rokuDisplayName", CleanName(device.GetFriendlyName()))

Calling you silly because that was a silly question. Call em like I see em. Sorry if this offends you. I am trying to make light and help you at the same time. All of this is learned as you go. Trial by error. So I am sharing my insight here.

There is the difference that code you use on the last line. I am not storing a clean name. The roku displays these just fine in utf-8. It is when using the function to encode the url that the roku is breaking utf-8. So the only time you have to sanitize is when sending over http.

Edited by speechles

No.. read above, luke is going to remove those "stock" icons. You will need to send your own url for the icon from your app.

The reason it changed is because you changed the "client" name. You had "Roku/SG" before. This would become "Roku" and give the stock roku icon. Now its "Roku SG" and its own app. It needs an icon.

I was talking about the device name.  I fully understand how the icon functionality works.  Thanks.

I also don't really take offense at being called "silly".  I do take offense with your tone in statements like this:

...instead of argue, see for yourself, check your code or something.

I was not arguing with you.  I was trying to go through a process that would help determine where the issue was.

@@ebr I cant see how you are doing things, which is where the "check your code" came from. This is why I gave the code to show how I am doing it. Then I have to wait. I cant just make the change and submit a pull request or I wouldve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Okay, finally figured it out.

When your app was in the early versions, it was storing the model name in the display name. This made the app think I had given it a custom name to use in app. I realized this, when I saw yours does work like mine. Good job.

Deleted the custom in app name, and it defaults back to the friendlydevicename() now. This is how its supposed to work. Awesome. Didnt realize it was storing this name without me ever giving it one until I looked and wait a name is there..wtf. Apologies... We can have cake and pie now? How big do you want your slices? Ice cream and whip cream on top?

aea14515327a83b26d1f2aa2c8cad0da.jpg

Note: It was odd, the cursor started at the front of the "Roku Ultra" name. There was no way to delete that name, at first. Not until realizing you must use the right cursor key to move to the end of the name, then use delete. Need to have the cursor move to the end of the name if one exists ahead of time. Others may fall into this trap too, and think that they cant remove the name shown.

5937f7dfc36bbcccfdb66aeb5a404334.jpg

Edited by speechles

Okay, thanks.  BTW that's exactly what I asked you to do with my first request :)

Okay, thanks. BTW that's exactly what I asked you to do with my first request :)

Its the cursor not positioning itself at the end of the name that threw me. In blue neon it puts the cursor at the end. This difference confused me until I saw where it was insert characters as I clicked on them. Then it dawned on me I have to move to the end, and then I can delete.

When I first tried this (when you mentioned) it didnt let me delete because I didnt catch the fact cursor was at beginning. I thought this must be it default to the wrong name.

Edited by speechles

Its the cursor not positioning itself at the end of the name that threw me. In blue neon it puts the cursor at the end. This difference confused me until I saw where it was insert characters as I clicked on them. Then it dawned on me I have to move to the end, and then I can delete.

When I first tried this (when you mentioned) it didnt let me delete because I didnt catch the fact cursor was at beginning. I thought this must be it default to the wrong name.

Okay well all that will be moot since I just removed that setting :).

Guest Grace1313

I don't think you are being helpful at all, i think you're just being passive aggressive. Your real motive is to show people how much you know and to belittle them in the process. You just phrase it in the form of a joke so you have an out... which, unsurprisingly, you took.

No, I'm not a psychiatrist but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

I don't think you are being helpful at all, i think you're just being passive aggressive. Your real motive is to show people how much you know and to belittle them in the process. You just phrase it in the form of a joke so you have an out... which, unsurprisingly, you took.

No, I'm not a psychiatrist but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

I think you are a suck up. You suck up, and in the process, look like a cheerleader. Raw raw sis-boom-nah!

Now for the joke, what color pom-poms do you have?

My real motive is to not go through the painful process of another half-baked app. Those who cannot do, all they can do is complain. Thanks for the complaint I've filed it in the circular bin.

Guest Grace1313

For claiming to be so smart, you sure can't seem to get the point of most of my posts. It has nothing to do with you helping make a better app, it's your tone. You think I'm sucking up because I'm defending ebr, but it's really the only person i see you communicate with because i don't go into the bn thread. You are offended you weren't asked to help with the new app and it shows in your posts. And once again, you end your post to me by saying i can't do anything but complain. I'm not as smart as you, i get it. We all get it. You finally found one thing in life you're good at so you have to make sure everyone knows.

Just call 'em like i see 'em. Sorry if that offends you.

For claiming to be so smart, you sure can't seem to get the point of most of my posts. It has nothing to do with you helping make a better app, it's your tone. You think I'm sucking up because I'm defending ebr, but it's really the only person i see you communicate with because i don't go into the bn thread. You are offended you weren't asked to help with the new app and it shows in your posts. And once again, you end your post to me by saying i can't do anything but complain. I'm not as smart as you, i get it. We all get it. You finally found one thing in life you're good at so you have to make sure everyone knows.

Just call 'em like i see 'em. Sorry if that offends you.

You sucked up to me the same way. Flavor of the month.

I am in no way offended. Take offense to what? Are you offended that I am not offended but you thought I was offended and now you are finding that offensive? Why is this diatribe needed? Defending ebr? Omg, you are so chivalrous. He doesnt need defending, really now, settle down. We were past this (me and ebr were having cake and pie, bro, did you miss that part?) but you sir keep this going the same direction. Good job. Do you feel proud of yourself now? Is this the part where I should cry because we used to be good friends and now its all over? *Insert cry face emoticon here*

A river has been cried. Can we move on now? Sure we can, but can you?

Also, yeah, dramatic excessive carriage returns to set this apart.

When did I say I was smart? Was I sharing the wonders of how the universe works, or performing calculus in any threads? There was no mention of how intelligent I am, or am not. Wise..hmm.. Maybe? A wise ass? Probably, some might even say, certainly. I never questioned anyones intelligence. I would request the same respect.

One thing in life I am good at? HAW.. Wow.. thats quite sad. You must be such a sad person to even type that. The one thing.. LMfAO.. Glad you think that way. I need to call my kids, and tell them they arent the single good thing Ive done. I also hacked up on a roku app. Man, will they be impressed. I may need to publish a full page ad in their local newspaper it is that thrilling. The one thing I am good at.. I am laughing my ass off at that hilarious comedy gold. Just calling it like.. You see it.. Which is blurry and distorted.

Oh wait, the joke, right.

These two guys walk into a bar.

Why didnt the second guy duck under it?

To moderators/admins, apologies for the post. I know, its troll bait and childish. I should rise above it. Yeah.. next time.. Mental note made.. lol

Edited by speechles

Guest Grace1313

Lol, focus on anything but the real issue. Spew lies, try to be funny, anything to divert the attention away from the real problem.

I think you are confusing sucking up with being nice. Of course, given most of your posts, you don't have that one in your arsenal.

I don't think the mods care about your childish ways, they're prob used to it by now and don't kid yourself, ebr can only say so much given that he is one of the devs. The fact a dev has to threaten to stop communicating with you should give you a clue that something is wrong with your behavior.

I'll wait for your reply since you MUST get the last word in.

My troll bait worked. I used 6 pokemon go lures on it. I knew I would catch a pokemon. I shall name you blastoise and never open your pokeball again. Finally, an end to it all.

Now who wants some cake and pie recipes?

Again, sneaking it in at the bottom.

We dont talk on these "threads" it is "typing". Are you the mouse in @@ebr's pocket? What is between me and him remains just that. Between me and him, sir. Why you continue to put yourself in the middle is starting to look ridiculous. Got it off your chest now? Do you need a hug? Cuz that wont be me.. lol.. Maybe ask ebr.. haw.. okay time to fry an egg..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk