Chromecast cloud synced media?

Ponyo

Hi,

I just found this blog entry and I was wondering exactly how it works.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-190-emby-for-chromecast-updated/

If I understand it correctly a user can select whatever he or she wants to sync and then select google drive as the destination. After content finished upload to drive, and a user wants to cast a drive synced item, how does that work? Will the app always check whether there is a drive version and if there is prefer that above the file on the server?

I don't have a Chromecast but I want to check if this is a usable way for watching content for my brother. The server is too far away from him to stream at reasonable speed but I assume streaming from drive will be better.

How does this work?

Chromecast Will automatically pick the drive version over the server version even if it's the same as the original file (can be played by Chromecast)?

Well, it's designed to choose the most efficient based on transcoding, not on network. if the google drive version will direct play then the answer is yes. if they both will direct play. then I'm not sure, I'll need to test that. But it might make sense to have it prefer the cloud version in that situation.