Live TV playback issue

h.buckle

h.buckle

Emby Server 3.1.2.0

Emby Android TV 1.3.18

nVidia Shield 2017

My setup is a DVB-T2 tuner card in a client PC running MediaPortal and using the MediaPortal plugin on the server.

All clients and the server are on a wired gigabit network.

Live TV playback works fine in Emby theatre on the desktop but I am having issues with the nVidia shield.

Live TV will not work at all using the player built in to the Emby Android TV app - it attempts to direct stream but I just get a spinning wheel. Remux log is attached. It seems to be be an issue with the ts container - if I remux part of the stream to mkv then the Emby app can play it fine.

If I select VLC as the player for live TV then playback works, using either direct play or direct stream, but playback is jerky. However if I open the stream URL from the MediaPortal client directly in the VLC app then playback is fine, so the jerkiness seems to be caused by having the stream be passed through the server.

Let me know if there is any more information I can provide.

Log.txt

pünktchen

? It's an ffmpeg remux log, and I've never had TVHeadend installed

Yes, i see it now. Sorry! Must be something with Tapatalk and previous downloaded logs.

Where do you open the stream with good VLC results, on a PC or Shield?

h.buckle

PC playback in Emby theatre is fine as it direct plays.

Playback on the Shield using the built in player attempts to direct stream but playback never starts - this is the attached remux log

Playback on the Shield using VLC embedded in the Emby app direct streams, and does play, but the video is jerky

Playback on the Shield using VLC as an external player direct plays and works fine.

So it doesn't appear to be an issue with the MediaPortal plugin, seems to be that for one thing the server is direct streaming when it doesn't need to, and that when it does direct stream playback is not smooth

pünktchen

Thanks for clarification.

So the main question is why does it direct stream with internal player and embedded vlc and direct plays with an external player? @@ebr The second question is what can be done to improve direct streaming playback? Btw. are you on Emby server stable, beta or dev? I ask because i have big playback problems with dev while it's perfect on stable.

Thanks for clarification.

So the main question is why does it direct stream with internal player and embedded vlc and direct plays with an external player? @@ebr The second question is what can be done to improve direct streaming playback? Btw. are you on Emby server stable, beta or dev? I ask because i have big playback problems with dev while it's perfect on stable.

Hi @@pünktchen , please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

pünktchen

Hi @@pünktchen , please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Funny you're asking for this - wanted to create some logs for you, got a server update and now some playback problems are gone  :lol:

What's left is the same that @@Spaceboy has mentioned in an other thread:

1. The user pre-definded bitrate setting isn't respected for live tv, but recordings. At least in Android TV this happens very often, in Android Mobile the pre-defined bitrate is never respected.
  2. When i lower the pre-defined bitrate to force transcoding of recordings, ffmpeg kicks in, but on Android Mobile i only get a black screen with the player controls. No Video, no audio and no duration in the player.
  3. Playback of HD recordings (remuxing) in Android TV leads to never ending spinning circle.

Also in Android Mobile for direct playing SD streams the video stays black, but i can hear the audio in the background.

Didn't want to start a new thread but I have a similar issue.  My offsite FireTV stick seems to ignore both it's own streaming limitation as well as the server's outgoing bandwidth limitation.  It tries to direct play and I get a frame at a time.  Logs:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao2HmJdFTqZehY1qhxTwbqAJUHQEww

Those remux logs didn't look like they came from a Fire TV and searching for the same item in the server log also didn't appear to be from that app but make sure you are using the latest version of the app.

Emby is used a lot at my house, not sure what you were looking at but pretty early in should have been the attempts from remote client as I deleted all logs, went to my office and tried live tv.  Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled and magically all my problems went away.

• 2 months later...
h.buckle

Just to update I still have the same issue with LiveTV playback dropping frames with server 3.2.13.0 and Android TV app 1.3.36. It's only on HD channels. Playback is using Direct/V mode (Direct/I doesn't seem to work, just get the spinning circle). Playback in the external VLC app is fine. Log sent from the app at 1100 UK time, user logged in is Media

maegibbons

Hi

What happens when you force it to transcode with the "Playback Error" option?

Krs

Mark

h.buckle

Selecting playback correction doesn't help. Trans/V is even worse, as in it plays but isn't watchable - the stream looks to be corrupted somehow. Trans/I fails to play, just sits on the spinning wheel