Static ip for emby server

JERRY1

Do i need a static ip for the machine server is on.

Going to try and setup remote access

Edited by JERRY1

Good day,

In this case where to remote to your emby server over wan (internet) then you need dynamic dns services, like no-ip, dynu ... etc.

My best

• Like 2

I would put a static IP on the internal network but you don't have to pay your ISP for an external one.  Instead, use a dynamic dns service as Abo suggested.  Many routers today will update them automatically.

• Like 3

Good day,

Yes indeed as Ebr said, static local (lan) IP address for emby server it the best.

My best

• Like 1

Yep, agree with @@ebr and @@Abobader, I have my server set up with a static local IP and with a dynamic DNS  (No-IP) set up I can access from anywhere on any device. Easy as...

• Like 1

Rumbaar

Yeah, I've assigned my Media PC a static IP from my router.  I'd use the router do this, than manually assigning it at the PC level.

legallink

From a practical perspective, you don't ned a dynamic ip service if all you plan on doing is using Emby Connect.  You only need a static service if you somehow need direct access to the server.  And similarly if you use Teamviewer or something similar, you don't need any of the above.

That being said, from an internal LAN perspective, it helps to have the server not change IP addresses on your internal lan so that port forwarding rules don't change so much.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

As long as canyouseeme.org shows the port is open you shouldn't have any remote access issues.

Thanks to all , it's up and running, one more question when i want to access emby what name

shall i use jerry1 .? When i normally go in from home only name i ever seen is admin

Happy2Play

"Jerry1" is only available if you are using Emby Connect, "admin" is your local user account.  It really doesn't matter which you are using though.

Thank you for the info.Also want to thank the posters on this forum, i didn't know anything

about port forwarding, dns service etc. I read many threads on here about it. Because of

your postings i accomplish this.