No Live TV or guide on iPad

lifespeed

lifespeed

I have an iPad Air (2014 vintage I believe) with Emby installed.  Although it is able to access the media library without issue, attempting to view either the guide or channels does not produce a listing, just the heading at the top of the screen.  So of course I can't watch Live TV on the iPad.  Does this feature not work for iOS?  I can watch Live TV using Emby Theater on the PCs or Emby on our Android phones.

I am using the latest version of Emby and iOS, don't have the device in my hands ATM.

Hi, @@lifespeed, we're sorry to hear about this, but yes, live tv is fully supported. What about the Suggestions screen in the live tv section? Do you see content there?

lifespeed

Hi, @@lifespeed, we're sorry to hear about this, but yes, live tv is fully supported. What about the Suggestions screen in the live tv section? Do you see content there?

Yes, on the suggestions screen it shows a few live TV channels, and tapping the play icon does actually play live TV.  Sounds like you've seen this before, how can I fix it?  I tried removing and re-installing Emby to no avail.

I haven't seen it before actually, I was just trying to collection information. if you click over to the guide tab what does that look like? can you take a screenshot? thanks !

lifespeed

I haven't seen it before actually, I was just trying to collection information. if you click over to the guide tab what does that look like? can you take a screenshot? thanks !

Here are the screenshots, Suggestions is populated with some shows like on the PC.  The Guide and Channel screens are missing all the channel listings.  I didn't take screenshots, but Recording, Schedule and Series screens all look normal, the same as on Emby Theater for PC.

post-44858-0-82922000-1484979261_thumb.png

post-44858-0-66139200-1484979269_thumb.png

post-44858-0-21033500-1484979275_thumb.png

server-63620535596.txt

Edited by lifespeed

lifespeed

I figured out that applying parental ratings to Live TV breaks the guide.  It does so on the PC clients as well as the iPad, I did not check the android phones.  So I guess this is not really an iPad problem, that just happens to be where a user with parental ratings set in the server was logged in.

Unchecking the option to apply parental ratings to live TV for the affected users in the server GUI fixed it.  This is OTA television in the San Francisco bay area.

Well, if the option is there for you, it doesn't really "break" it, right :) You just need to assign parental ratings to your channels. But I think we will just deprecate that to avoid others getting tripped up by it in the future.

lifespeed

I did not anticipate needing to assign ratings to the channels, I thought the TV shows themselves had a rating assigned to them.  I guess I won't bother to assign ratings to the channels if it won't be supported in the future.

I see where ratings could be useful for cable TV.

I suppose we could detect infer channel ratings based on programs, it's tricky though because late night content will bump up the ratings, but most children will be in bed anyway so there's really no need to take the entire channel away.

I suppose we could detect infer channel ratings based on programs, it's tricky though because late night content will bump up the ratings, but most children will be in bed anyway so there's really no need to take the entire channel away.

I wouldn't infer a channel rating based on programs, as you said programs have different ratings during the day. I guess a better option would be to mask the program in the guide that is not allowed based on the rating, and also not to allow that program to play based on the rating. Otherwise it would be like blocking your whole TV or Movies libraries, just because you have one movie that is R rated.

yea unfortunately no matter what we choose, we will still wind up coming back to the same problem - user activates setting, later forgets about it, then later things something is wrong with Emby when programs or channels don't show up.

lifespeed

yea unfortunately no matter what we choose, we will still wind up coming back to the same problem - user activates setting, later forgets about it, then later things something is wrong with Emby when programs or channels don't show up.

I know that if I had read a note in server Parental Control next to Live TV specifying that parental ratings were manually configured per channel I may have . . .  still later forgotten about it because I added a TV tuner to my network some months after setting up Emby Server.

Maybe some sort of sanity check like if few or no channels have parental ratings configured, and parental ratings are applied in the server there is a problem?  Lots of user babysitting, lowest common denominator and all that.  It did catch me unaware.