The actions of '*'

Disorganise

Disorganise

Guys,

Does * do something different with a keyboard versus a remote control?

I used * on the remote to bring up the context menu.  Tonight I'm accessing from a different PC with MBC installed and wanted to edit some metadata or at least get some info where the files are located - so I hit * and got thrown to the end of the movie list, which I figured must have been like a shortcut search - and since no movie name begins with *, it threw me to the end.

But I was just browsing the file system so I could update the IMDB info manually so it might update the rest of the metadata, and found that the Video_TS folder is empty. 

• So I think '*' had the effect of deleting the files? 
  • Is this correct? 
  • Should there not have been a warning?

thanks

BATTLE DONKEY

As far as I know the * does the same thing on a remote or keyboard. The only way to delete anything from within MBC is to first manually edit the .xml file and even tho I dont use the delete function I doubt it would leave left over empty folders.

There is no metadata editing facility in MBC.  The * key is universal but it is possible your remote isn't actually sending a '*'. 

To delete anything from within MBC requires you to manually edit your config files and respond 'Yes' to a confirmation prompt. And delete is not an option from the context menu.  Only the detail page.

Cheesegeezer

Well I'm having this issue too with the MCE 1039 Model Remote (Actually using a harmony One but it's mapped to this mce remote control) 

My * key on the remote does Jack!! but pressing the asterix key on the numpad or Shift+8 works fine.  It's so annoying, i never really used the * key shortcut before but it's going to be useful in my collection very shortly.

Does anyone know a work around for this to work.  All the other shortcut keys work fine.

BATTLE DONKEY

Well I'm having this issue too with the MCE 1039 Model Remote (Actually using a harmony One but it's mapped to this mce remote control)

My * key on the remote does Jack!! but pressing the asterix key on the numpad or Shift+8 works fine. It's so annoying, i never really used the * key shortcut before but it's going to be useful in my collection very shortly.

Does anyone know a work around for this to work. All the other shortcut keys work fine.

Do u have ur harmony remote programmed to control media centre SE? If that isn't working u can try programming shift + 8 on the remote either using the hot keys or mouse control

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/td-p/374844?nobounce

Cheesegeezer

Do u have ur harmony remote programmed to control media centre SE? If that isn't working u can try programming shift + 8 on the remote either using the hot keys or mouse control

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/td-p/374844?nobounce

Yeah I had it mapped to SE and thought that that was the issue, so I physically made the Harmony relearn the * key from the original remote.  I'll have another look into it, but i think i maybe doomed.  If i do get a result I'll be sure to post up.

Cheers

Disorganise

My goof.  I looked through my backup and found the folder empty too - must have been a mistaken metadata stub for a movie with the same name but different year.  To make a tad more confusing, the 'correct' movie is an mkv not DVD format as I had expected, and so in a different folder - hence when I looked under the DVD's I found the only the 'wrong' stub which was empty and jumped to all the wrong conclusions.   Move along, nothing to see here...