Supported formats?

Ponyo

Hi,

I am (again) considering switching to a android device instead of Kodi on my Intel NUC because I like the Emby app better and having apps like Netflix available is a big plus for the GFAF. Plus I'll finally have a remote instead of having to use my phone as a remote..

However what does Emby (not) support as far as audio, codec and subtitles goes? The device I'm thinking of getting is a Nvidia Shield (2) as it seems to be the only device that is truly capable of DTS-HD, TrueHD etc passthrough.

So if I get a Shield will I be able to direct play all my movies with HD audio, PGS subs, AVC/VC1 etc? Right now with Kodi everything direct plays and I would like to keep it that way.

I tried testing with my Firetv stick but that is lacking support for HD audio I believe plus it is too slow to play high bitrate content so I didn't get far with that hehe.

Any dev/Shield owner that could chime in with regards to what does and doens't direct plays?

Hi @@Ponyo, this information is on our wiki:

Android TV:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Android%20TV

Fire TV:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Fire%20TV

Android TV now supports DTS-HD passthrough and TrueHD passthrough on supported devices. We'll need to update the wiki for that @@ebr. Thanks !

Thanks, don't know why I didn't find that wiki.

Support for direct play of PSG subs isn't back yet? is the player used on the android app the same as on android tv? In that case I could do at least some testing with my phone.

PS and completely unrelated but internal .srt files have been broken (unable to load on both the browser and AFT stick) for a while now.

PGS subs will be your stumbling block for anything other than an htpc app.

If you can replace those with text subs, then you would be golden with the Shield.

Doable but I'd be nice if we could do PGS subs as well.

By the way in what way do the android and firetv/android tv player differ? I tested with the app on my phone and that can direct stream a file with dts-hd and pgs subs.

Edited by Ponyo

The phone is probably using VLC where as the TV app is going to favor Google due to the DTS soundtrack.  Since PGS subs are much less common than DTS we make the choice to make the audio sound best in a TV setup.  In the future, we might be able to make the TV app make a different choice if PGS subs are selected.

Because the mobile version does not have the requirement of HD audio passthrough so that gives it a little more leeway in what techniques it can use

• 3 weeks later...
Lawrage

Thought id chime in here as im in the same boat, replacing the HTPC and the Nuc with a Shield.

Testing with the Shield using the Emby app is quite positive, movies and tv shows play fine however there are a few that dont direct play so there is a pause while the transcode starts, load the the server etc...

Not sure if you have any Anime but have a few dual audio / subtitle files that refuse to play.

This has led me down the road of installing SPMC on the Shield as it supports HD audio passthrough as well and then using the Emby for Kodi plugin. Playback this way is working great so far, all direct playing but still fiddling with the look and feel as I much prefer the Emby apps layout.

optimalt

Can you give examples of what is not direct playing?

An obvious example from the posts above is a anything with HD audio and PSG subs. Direct plays on shield with SPMC. Transcodes on shield with emby.

An obvious example from the posts above is a anything with HD audio and PSG subs. Direct plays on shield with SPMC. Transcodes on shield with emby.

Yes, PGS subs will not be supported and need to be burned in.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, PGS subs will not be supported and need to be burned in.

Will this ever be supported?  Your competition can already direct play PGS subs with HD audio on the Shield TV.

• 4 weeks later...
Samenluisteren

Dear Emby developers,

I hope I am on the right topic.

I really love your system and I am a user for many years now. 

I switched to an android tv and have some issues with the Emby App.

My Philips PUS6521 supports dts passthrough. But still not within Emby.

When I play with the internal player from the tv itself, dts and ac3 is perfectly played. 

Why isn't it with Emby and why can't I choose the internal player from the tv if I choose to play with different player from the settings.

I also don't have the settings for dts bitstream.

i tried to install the beta version of Emby, but it sais the tv doesn't support beta version. How come. Android TV is Android TV, isn't it?

I hope you can resolve this.

• 4 months later...

Another vote for direct play of pgs subtitles on shield tv.

Try the latest beta version.

• 2 weeks later...

Try the latest beta version.

I haven't gotten around to buying a Shield TV yet but this is good news.

Just on other question that I didn't want to open a new topic for, is 24p support working properly? I was going over the Beta release notes and noticed it was in there but there are a lot of complaints online about the Shield TV/certain apps apparently not switching to the correct framerate and just play back everything at 60fps.

Just on other question that I didn't want to open a new topic for, is 24p support working properly?

That has been working fine for quite a while.  You can even change the display mode during playback if you wish.