New live TV set up

roberthleeii

roberthleeii

I am looking to add over the air tv to my emby and am having a little trouble figuring out what options I have. I feel like the HDHomerun connect is my primary option but at around $150 plus $25 a year for guide data there has to be an cheaper way to accomplish my goal of recording and watching my over the air tv with an antenna.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert Lee

Hi, guide data costs money. Perhaps you can look around and find a free source, then you can use that with our XmlTV feature.

You can also setup a machine with Windows Media Center, then use ServerWMC and Emby can get the guide from that using the ServerWMC plugin.

roberthleeii

I actually don't mind the $25 for the guide Data. I was more interested in finding a cheaper tuner that would integrate with Emby. I just figured for over the air (non cable card) there was a cheaper option. Even the HDHomerun Prime is cheaper than the Connect...

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

clarkss12

You will find that the Connect is really a very nice device and soooo versatile.  With the HDHomeRun OTA networked tuner, I have a tvheadend DVR, DVBLink DVR, HDHomeRun DVR and now an Emby DVR, all using one Schedules Direct EPG account.

My Tvheadend DVR server is running on a $30 Amlogic S805 stick running LibreELEC (it is my main DVR).  My DVBLink DVR server is running on my old Synology NAS (was my first networked DVR).  SliiconDust is working on their own DVR, and it works fairly well for OTA users, but still pre-beta.

The Emby DVR is coming along very well, considering it is only a smart part of their all-in-one media consumption.  I have a 2016 Samsung Smart TV that is running the Emby app, and it is fantastic.  I just got done watching a BlueRay rip of the Green Berets with VC1 encoding, and it played perfectly with Dolby Digital, using the native Emby app.  I was using my $37 Amlogic S905X running Ubuntu 16.04 as my backend server.