Shield 2 muting receiver (CEC) when playing movies

dougw03

Ok. I made it crash the same way again. 1554. Exactly. Went from 60 to 59

And it crashed when you, arrowed to that option or when you clicked on that option or at some other point...?

After i clicked

If that's the case, I'm afraid I don't know what the issue is and I'm not getting a crash report.

Just to confirm, you can bring that menu up and arrow around to all the options just fine.  It only crashes if you select one?  Only certain ones or any one?

Vidman

Okay, if it only happens with that setting enabled then I have to believe something in that communication is getting messed up somehow. The only muting control we have in the app is responding to remote control commands and that would affect the app no matter whether CEC was in use or not.

Right, only seems to happen in this app tho

I can't see what it would be at this point but I wasn't even aware of that option on the box so I'll have to try turning it on on mine and see if I can reproduce it.

Vidman

I can't see what it would be at this point but I wasn't even aware of that option on the box so I'll have to try turning it on on mine and see if I can reproduce it.

As far as I know it's the only option that allows volume control with the shield remote with audio passthrough enabled

Okay, I can reproduce it but I'm afraid I have no idea what is causing it.  Only seems to happen with some bitstreamed content.

• Like 1

Vidman

Okay, I can reproduce it but I'm afraid I have no idea what is causing it. Only seems to happen with some bitstreamed content.

I am sure a person of your talents will figure it out in no time[emoji1]

Ok. I made it crash the same way again. 1554. Exactly. Went from 60 to 59

Can you please try this again with either .33 or .34?  I want to see if I was at least able to trap this crash.  Thanks.

optimalt

Can you please try this again with either .33 or .34?  I want to see if I was at least able to trap this crash.  Thanks.

Sorry for the delay.

I have tried the latest beta verison but I can't test changing resolution manually. The resason is that now alll videos I try to play simply stops after aprox. 10 seconds. When the videos stops, the reciever mutes.

Hi,

I'm having a very similar issue, albeit on the original shield, and the receiver thinks it's mute, but still plays the audio!

Play video.

Pause (via remote double-tap)

Press Back, Back and Back again to go to main menu.

AVR Mute icon then appears (ie the receiver displays the mute icon on the TV)

If I play a video, the mute icon will stay displayed, but usually I still have audio.

Mute icon stays until sound is turned up or down.

CEC is on. Problem does not occur if CEC is off. Audio passing through via hdmi. Have tried changing refresh rate settings but no impact. It's more annoying than anything else, but it is very annoying!

Using .36 beta version, and also happens with current stable release. Yamaha RX-V375 receiver, Shield 2015 (8Gb version), Nvidia Remote.

• 1 month later...
Pelon

Any updates on this issue?

It is very annoying, if you are binge-watching something, you have to have the receiver remote control. Also features like Cinema Mode are broken. It will stream a trailer from the internet, then mute as it ends and then plays the movie muted. 

This is in a 2015 Shield Pro

Sorry, nothing beyond this.

Okay, I can reproduce it but I'm afraid I have no idea what is causing it.  Only seems to happen with some bitstreamed content.

While I still have no idea why this happens, I did have a brainstorm on how to potentially work around it so you guys can test it out with the next beta.  Thx.

There is a workaround for this problem in the current beta which will be released to the public very soon.  In my experience, even my workaround is not 100% but it does help some of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, sometimes my hack works and sometimes it doesn't so I'm just going to remove the hack.

bungee91

@@ebr Anything we can do/provide to help in solving this issue?

I assume this is not the case for all users with the Shield + CEC (and the various names the manufacturers call their implementation)?

In comparison for apps on the Shield (not saying this to be a dick), I do not notice this issue (mute/unmute) with Kodi.

If I disable CEC and use fixed audio control, I get the popup each time that surround sound is active and volume is controlled through the audio system.

Ok, annoying message, but..... this setup results in horrible A/V sync that changes as I skip around (any way to "lock" audio/video? I am not using refresh rate switching), it starts off fine, and leads into being off.

Currently my only way to use Emby through my Tv/receiver is to set CEC volume to off, and have Emby downmix to stereo.

This is working as expected in my limited testing, but I can't control the volume from the Shield remote at all, and content that should be 5.1 is stereo.

In other words, it's disappointing at best.

mastrmind11

Definitely not the case for all.  I have not had this happen and CEC works perfectly.  Shield v1 + Marantz AV7701 pre amp.

Vidman

Definitely not the case for all. I have not had this happen and CEC works perfectly. Shield v1 + Marantz AV7701 pre amp.

And you are using audio passthrough?

This is happening to me now too, with some strange details. I had run Emby a couple months ago to test out it's DVR abilities. I was having an issue with audio out of sync, but only on recordings so I stopped using Emby for awhile. Reinstalled Emby server on the same PC, but with Windows 10 instead of 7. Same hardware otherwise (2015 Shield TV, soundbar, and TV). Now whenever I try to play live TV it mutes my soundbar.

Using CEC volume control, and passthrough is enabled.

Edited by 3rob3