Shield 2 muting receiver (CEC) when playing movies

dougw03

dougw03

I'm having a strange issue whenever I try to play movies (seems to be affecting most movies, but can't seem to find a pattern) on my new shield TV 2. The Shield TV is sending a HDMI CEC command to mute my receiver whenever I play a movie. Seems to affect media both with Dolby Digital and DTS tracks and unfortunately don't have any other files with stereo to test. This is only happening on Emby and none of ym other apps. I am running the latest update from today (5.0.1)

P.S. Is there a way to disable subtitles by default? Emby on Android TV always defaults to turning them on.

Hi, if you go into the Emby app, then click your user icon in the top right -> playback settings, set your subtitle  mode to no subtitles. see if this has an effect on your audio issue. thanks.

On the subtitles, one thing to realize is that the server remembers your selection from the last time the item was played.  So, if you turned them on at some point, they will default to on the next time.

Other than that, this app follows the same logic as all the others as for when to show or not show them.

For the mute issue, the only thing I can think of would be the refresh rate switching.  Is that enabled?

• 2 months later...

Use Emby for Kodi but check Emby beta once a week or so. FYI this is still happening.

Did you test it without refresh rate switching?

optimalt

Yes, and it's definitely related to refresh rate switching.

Edited by optimalt

Yes, and it's definitely related to refresh rate switching.

Okay, then that is something related to your device or individual setup.  There may be some configuration you can do to deal with it.  I don't think there is anything the app can do (other than you not use the auto switching).

The latest beta of the app will allow you to switch refresh rates during playback.  So, you could turn off the auto switching and then use the in-playback menu to see if you can find a mode that works best.

optimalt

Ok. I need the correct refresh rate (can't stand stuttering video) and changing it manually everytime is more work than to just unmute.

Strange that Kodi and SPMC can auto change refresh rate without muting though...

Ok. I need the correct refresh rate (can't stand stuttering video) and changing it manually everytime is more work than to just unmute.

Strange that Kodi and SPMC can auto change refresh rate without muting though...

They might be choosing a different mode.  That's why I suggested trying it manually to see if you could identify modes that had the problem and those that didn't.

Also, there is an option for whether or not to try and match the rate exactly.  Have you tried with this on and off?

optimalt

I'll try different modes manually and report back.

I have not tried match the rate exactly on/off. I have it on. Will try that too.

Edited by optimalt

optimalt

I was wrong, the muting is not related to refresh rate change - sorry about that.. The muting happens even If automatic refresh rate is off. It happens everytime I watch video/tv in Emby and press the back button so the video/tv stops. And If I try too manually change refresh rate Emby crashes (Grey screen)

Edited by optimalt

Vidman

I can confirm also for me muting audio when starting video... No refresh rate switching

Only seems to happen in this Android tv app

Edited by Vidman

And If I try too manually change refresh rate Emby crashes (Grey screen)

Exactly what were you doing when it crashed?

Do you know what time it was when this happened?

I can confirm also for me muting audio when starting video... 

So you've been watching video with no audio?

Can you please explain a bit more about the setup and what happens?

Thanks.

optimalt

I manually changed refresh rate in The Emby app while playing a video. It was maybe 15:00 local time (Sweden).

I manually changed refresh rate in The Emby app while playing a video. It was maybe 15:00 local time (Sweden).

I need you to tell me exactly when it crashed.  There are several operations to change refresh rates as in:

I clicked on the icon and the menu came up

I arrowed down to the refresh rate option

I clicked to bring up the sub menu

I arrowed to the option I wanted

I clicked to change refresh rates

Exactly where in that process did it crash?

The video starts muted requiring a press of the the mute button to restore audio

Okay, so your receiver muting is actually engaged or there is muting at some other level?

Wow. Thats detailed indeed... I think I'll make you a video when i get the time.

Just pay attention to exactly when it crashes because I did reproduce an issue that is actually in the OS itself but it isn't consistent.  I'm afraid that is what you have encountered.

Vidman

Yes so only happens with shield sound/volume control set to CEC . I start a video and sometimes my Yamaha AVR will be set to mute

Yes so only happens with shield sound/volume control set to CEC . I start a video and sometimes my Yamaha AVR will be set to mute

Okay, if it only happens with that setting enabled then I have to believe something in that communication is getting messed up somehow.  The only muting control we have in the app is responding to remote control commands and that would affect the app no matter whether CEC was in use or not.