Three genre limit?

Jägs

Greetings:

I've decided to dive in head first into using Emby as my media source for my Kodi installs, after testing it successfully on one Kodi instance.  One thing I noticed, though, is that when downloading metadata, Emby seems to limit a movie to three genres.

How I noticed this is that I have a Kids smart playlist in Kodi that lists all movies containing the "Family" genre.  With Kodi, there were many more movies in this list, so, in Emby, I started editing the metadata for those missing from the smart playlist and noticed that, in each case, there were only three genres listed, in alphabetical order, and if the movie was an "Adventure," "Animation," "Comedy," for example, it would never get to "Family."  

Even in cases of decidedly non-family moves--e.g. The Expendables--there are only three genres listed.  In fact, other than those to which I've added "Family," all of the others I've looked at only have three genres.

Any idea how to expand this?  Did I miss a setting, somewhere?  I've been going through and manually adding "Family" to the ones that have it missing, but I'd rather rely upon Emby to do this.

Thanks!

Hi, you can have as many genres per title as you want, it's just that sometimes for display purposes we might limit the number that are displayed just because it can clutter things up a bit when you see 8 genres crammed into a small area. Thanks !

Luke:

Thanks for the reply, but the displaying of genres is not the problem, the actually assigning of genres by the scraper seems to be the problem.  Let me see if I can be a bit more clear:

• Emby scans the movies.
  • Every single movie I've looked at seems to only has three total genres assigned to it, in alphabetical order.  So, even if a film is predominantly, say, a horror film, if it is also "Action," "Adventure," and "Crime," it would never be tagged with the "Horror" genre; ergo, going back to the smart playlist, some movies that should have the genre "Family" assigned to them, do not, and the reason seems to be that they are limited to three genres in alphabetical order.  For example, Toy Story has the following genres assigned to it:  Adventure, Animation, Comedy.

587d33becfcad_ScreenShot20170116at25544P

• It should have many others assigned to it, including "Family," but because it only seems to be allowed to have three, it stops at "Comedy."
  • My first thought was that it was simply assigning a different genre to "Family" that I used in Kodi to build the smart playlist; however, other movies do have this set.  For example, here's Flight of the Navigator:

587d346259493_ScreenShot20170116at25950P

• It would seem that since because it is not an "Action" or "Animation," or gets to "Family" alphabetically and assigns it to the list.
  • I also thought that maybe it was only displaying three, and that other genres were associated with the movie, but they were not showing up.  That does not seem to be the case, as I have no problem adding additional genres to display more than three.  Here's an example of what I did for Finding Dory:

587d34e705225_ScreenShot20170116at30158P

All of this leads me to believe that, for some reason, when Emby scrapes, it assigns the first three genres to the movie, alphabetically, and stops.  Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change to allow for more, as it is kind of a pain to do so manually, and I'd need to remember to do so every time I add a kids movie.

Please let me know if I missed something, or if I can supply any additional information.

Thanks!

I can't find anything in our code limiting the number of genres, so those are probably just all the genres that are on the internet metadata site.

Happy2Play

If you look at TMDB do you see a difference in the genre listed in metadata vs genre they provided?

Additionally if Omdb is prioritized first, which is the default, and your metadata language preference is English, then the genres will be coming from there.

Happy2Play

You can added as many genre as you like.

tested on Pete's Dragon

587d39138ee99_added.jpg

587d3934b452f_item.jpg

Happy2Play

I can't find anything in our code limiting the number of genres, so those are probably just all the genres that are on the internet metadata site.

Good point

Results (cropped) from OMDB for Finding Dory

{"Title":"Finding Dory","Year":"2016","Rated":"PG","Released":"17 Jun 2016","Runtime":"97 min","Genre":"Animation, Adventure, Comedy",
Edited by Happy2Play

Ah, thanks for putting me on the right track!  It seems that OMDB only returns three genres, no matter what film, and often doesn't use "Family."  I use the Universal Scrapper for Kodi, which uses IMDB, so it's not a surprise that it is a bit more robust with genres.

I took a look a tMDB, and it looks like it makes more frequent use of the "Family" genre, so I switch the priority to that and see if that helps.  If anything, it'll certainly cut down on the number of manual editing I would need to do.

So, once I do that, do I just need to rescan, or is there something else I need to change to have it refresh the genres for all of the previously scanned movies?

Thanks!

Once you change the setting, any new titles will download metadata with those settings. Existing titles will need to be refreshed manually if that's what you want to do.

funwithmedia

I've been following this thread: I'm curious as to any perceived pros/cons of OMDB vs TMDB? Like the OP I lean towards preferring more Genres being listed, but I'm sure there's a reason as to why the OMDB is set as the default first provider in Emby, so I'm curious to hear more about the differences between the two.

Also, is there any way to on a mass level just refresh one piece of metadata across all selected items? For example, if I wanted to only refresh Genres (but not other metadata) for a whole bunch of items at once? I have some custom metadata (eg, custom Overview) in my recently added items which I wouldn't want to get overwritten. But it's not very feasible to manually go through and "lock" Overview for each of those items (and sadly, Emby ignored my "lockedfields" tag [or whatever it's called] in my exported NFO files when it imported them, which I was trying to use to Lock fields like Overview and Tags where I'm adding data from my old system).

Happy2Play

I've been following this thread: I'm curious as to any perceived pros/cons of OMDB vs TMDB? Like the OP I lean towards preferring more Genres being listed, but I'm sure there's a reason as to why the OMDB is set as the default first provider in Emby, so I'm curious to hear more about the differences between the two.

Users seem to prefer the IMDB ratings/vote provided by OMDB rather then TMDB's rating/vote system.

Also, is there any way to on a mass level just refresh one piece of metadata across all selected items? For example, if I wanted to only refresh Genres (but not other metadata) for a whole bunch of items at once? I have some custom metadata (eg, custom Overview) in my recently added items which I wouldn't want to get overwritten. But it's not very feasible to manually go through and "lock" Overview for each of those items (and sadly, Emby ignored my "lockedfields" tag [or whatever it's called] in my exported NFO files when it imported them, which I was trying to use to Lock fields like Overview and Tags where I'm adding data from my old system).

There are requests for a bulk metadata edit option, but nothing is currently available

• Like 1

funwithmedia

Cool -- thanks for that info! Now, to make up my mind as to which is more important to me (the Ratings/votes, or having a fuller list of Genres)...

Which led me to create the following feature request:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43864-emby-server-be-able-to-specify-metadata-provider-on-a-per-metadata-basis-eg-genres-from-different-provider-than-default-provider/

:)

To me, genres are more important, as they drive a number of my smart playlists, so I went the nuclear option route (it was the only way to be sure):  I deleted my Movies library from Emby, set TMDB as the primary source, and added Movies back to the library.  The rescan added many more genres, and my playlists are now happy again.

• Like 1

funwithmedia

I get that reference. ;)  And I might end up doing the same thing.

As I think about it, the Ratings probably don't matter that much to me in general, especially since I give more weight to Rotten Tomatoes, and it's really just with things like the trailers plugin for things I've not seen (and don't yet own) that ratings are useful to me.

Anyone know of any other downsides to using TMDB over OMDB as default?

Happy2Play

I get that reference. ;)  And I might end up doing the same thing.

As I think about it, the Ratings probably don't matter that much to me in general, especially since I give more weight to Rotten Tomatoes, and it's really just with things like the trailers plugin for things I've not seen (and don't yet own) that ratings are useful to me.

Anyone know of any other downsides to using TMDB over OMDB as default?

The biggest difference is TMDB provides different languages. but in the end Emby still uses both as OMDB doesn't have taglines.

So it is a personal preference on Genre's and votes.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

funwithmedia

Awesome -- many thanks! :)

In just looking at my server settings I see there are settings for other types of items than just Movies. Any opinions (from anyone) regarding TMDB vs OMDB vs TheTVDB for "Series"? 

The default order looks to be OMDB > TheTVDB > TMDB. If I want the benefit of more Genres it seems like I don't want OMDB first, but seeing TMDB last in this case makes me wonder why and whether I should go with TheTVDB > TMDB > OMDB (if I'm valuing Genres over Ratings). Though I just noticed that it looks like TheTVDB may only do 3 Genre items, so I may have to think about that (and whether Genres matter the same for me in TV vs Movies, depending on other pros/cons with these providers).

Also, I notice that for Seasons TMDB is listed, but defaults to not being enabled -- any thoughts on that? I've not yet delved into adding my TV shows to Emby. Similarly, for Episodes why are TMDB and OMDB listed (after TheTVDB), but default to unchecked? That's just curious to me.

Happy2Play

I don't believe OMDB has as many restriction when it comes to requests, where TMDB and TVDB need to be throttled.  There is also a plugin to add TVMaze as a provider also, it pretty much mirrors TVDB.  As for Seasons, TMDB is the only site that metadata is available

Just a quick look a using "The Ranch" as an example OMDB lists 3 genres where TVDB and TMDB show one genre and TVMaze show 2 genre.  So it is it still comes back to a personal preference.  May people limit genres that is why the Genre Cleaner plugin was made.

• Like 1

funwithmedia

Thanks, that's helpful -- I guess it just depends then.... It's not a clear-cut thing of one having more Genres than another.

Thanks much for all of your thoughts!