Navigation bar doesn't disappear.

Rumbaar

Rumbaar

Running EMBY theater 2.5.36 and I'm getting an issue where the navigation bar at the bottom doesn't disappear.

So I interact and the top portion appears, then it goes away but the navigation part stays.  Requires me to close the app, and restart to fix.

It's happened twice 'tonight', but doesn't happen all the time.  I've watched a few TV episodes, and started a movie.

Jack Burton

I've had a similar issue since 2.5.36. Navigation bar is persistent, as well as a darker semi transparent black bar across the top. Not sure if related, but I've also noticed theme videos don't play, though audio works fine. Rolled back to 2.5.35 for now and all is well

Jack Burton

don't know how to do that.  I'm just a dumb end user with minimal computer skills...

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-windows/releases

Download the 2.5.35 zip file and extract (I use winrar, it's free). I usually just drag and replace. If you haven't changed any folders, go to C;/users/(your account)/appdata/roaming/embytheater and open the system folder. The zip contents will match the folder contents if you're in the right place. Copy everything in the zip from the "cec" folder down over to the system folder and overwrite. If you're prompted to "copy and replace", do that option

diaz1510

LOL, there was no way for you to know by the way I entered my message, but I was being facetious.  I'm familiar with how to rollback, but I appreciate your help. I apologize.  I guess I'm just a little frustrated with how much I have to babysit Emby (either the server or theater).  Luke and the team are offering a really good product that was basically free so it's difficult to complain but I just can't see my wife being able to handle all the little nuances of Emby and how to get it work properly again after some update that happens.  I'm doubly concerned at this point because I'm in the military and getting ready to leave in 2 weeks for close to 6 months and I already know that during that 6 months Emby will have some update that will cause either the server or theater to fail somehow (I can't recall a time of that length where I had no issues with Emby).  My wife is the typical soccer mom, awesome but not the greatest when it comes to computers or electronics.  She knows how to get Emby Theater to play media..and that's it.  Anything outside of playing a video file or browsing the media collection (IE, maintaining the server when issues creep up) and it'll be a no go.  I'm just dreading that phone call saying that Emby stopped working and it's an issue that would require a rollback...she'll be dead in the water.

I guess what I'm saying is, as much as I love Emby (it's the best software out there, lol) I wish, instead of adding all these cool bells and whistles all the time, they would focus on making it robust first.

Apologies..I was just venting...I been with Emby for along time and I'm not giving up on it...just wanted to get it off my chest haha

• Like 1

Jack Burton

Haha, no worries. I get where you're coming from. I agree Emby is the best, and I'm not planning on moving on either, but it can be frustrating. When we get something new, something else tends to break. Wife issues sound pretty much identical too haha. Maybe stopping auto server updates while you're away would help? Not sure if theatre has an option to prevent updates though.

Jack Burton

Yeah, I don't see an option for it. Maybe someone can add the option to keep or rollback after an update. Like a top bar after an update that says "is this version working properly?" and a yes/no box. Yes makes the option go away, no rolls back to the most recent stable.

Alternatively, could she use the web player while you're gone? it's pretty intuitive as well

diaz1510

Yeah, I've been toying with idea of going back to the web client.  I like the UI better there, but not a big fan of having to transcode.  Playing direct with ET appealed to me.  The web client coupled with no server updates may solve my issues til I get back, but I guess it really doesn't solve the overall issue of making the program robust in the first place.  There is not one single piece of software I've owned or used that I can remember requiring me to babysit as much as Emby.  It has been frustrating at times but nothing that couldn't be fixed with some help from the boards or Luke and the team themselves...but I am wondering..who is the market the Emby team is targeting with this software?  The masses?  Or those who are inclined to be able to maintain a server with troubleshooting skills?  If we are being candid, the gap there is wide.  Problem is, those of us who are more geared toward what it takes to maintain emby have family that isn't, either a spouse or children...and the real purpose of Emby is to be a one stop shop for media...once the household becomes accustomed to using it and it breaks...it can throw the family into turmoil.  Imagine this happens while I'm gone and my 5 year old wants to watch Shrek but now can't...those of you who know...know...have you seen a 5 year old throw a tantrum haha...

Like I said, I'm not going anywhere and I may gripe form time to time, but it's still a great service. Just wish there was a larger focus on robustness over the bells and whistles...

Edited by diaz1510

diaz1510

I ended up rolling back to a version that I had no issues with....2.5.30.  I wish I could keep it there for awhile.  I'm going to put in a feature request to disable auto-update for ET and see where it goes.

Rumbaar

Hi, Emby Theater does not have a bottom navigation bar.  What do you mean exactly?

It does when you're interacting with it.  See below, the overlay at the bottom.  I'm also having playback issue with the video not working now too.

587d4677255e4_201701171.jpg

Rumbaar

Try grabbing 2.5.37 from the website, thanks.

I will thanks, though related.  How often does it check for an update and self update?  As my main media PC was at .36, but my computer was at .35.

Edited by Rumbaar

Rumbaar

@@Luke I had this happen again last night, on EMBY Theater 2.5.37.   The bottom navigation area wouldn't disappear until a restart of ET

Most likely some input was active thus causing it to appear. 2.5.36 had the issue due to a defect in the electron library that we use. After rolling back to the previous electron, it is no longer possible to produce the exact same issue.

Rumbaar

Most likely some input was active thus causing it to appear. 2.5.36 had the issue due to a defect in the electron library that we use. After rolling back to the previous electron, it is no longer possible to produce the exact same issue.

The top navigation appears, and disappears.  But the bottom navigation remained.   They're linked?  So should only appear when something is interacting with the interface?

Where a quit from media and back, it remained.  Exit of ET, and to the same media and it would auto remove when the top display moved away.

Rumbaar

Ok, I have not seen that but will keep an eye out for it. thanks.

If it happens again, is there an information I can gather at the time to assist?