Accessing live TV outside network, what's the quality like?

gene0915

gene0915

I have a HDHR Connect and Plex. There are some user created channels for Plex that will interface with the HDHR and allow you to stream live TV outside your network (when on the road) but wow, interlaced crap video quality.

It appears Emby's ability to stream live TV, when you're away from home, is locked behind a paywall. Before I buy the lifetime, premiere Emby package.... how is the quality for streaming live TV?

(Playback device will either be a PC (running Emby Theater) or a Roku. Would prefer to use the Apple TV 4 but I guess that's still a ways off.)

Hi @@gene0915, it really depends on your bandwidth. The server will deinterlace so there should be no concerns there. After that it's just a matter of the bitrate that your connection can handle. Out of the box we'll try to determine the best value for you, or you can set your own.

maegibbons

Take a montly premiere sub first and test it out to your satisfaction before jumping in to lifetime.

Its fine for me on my phone. YMMV which would be down to your own expectations.

Emby is very good for LiveTV!!

Krs

Mark

clarkss12

Ran a test using cellular connection while streaming a 1080i HD channel.  My upstream is supposed to be 15 mpbs, but today only around 6.  There is some buffering because of the slow up stream.  When my provider is giving me the real 15 mbps or close to it, I get flawless play back.

My Emby server is running on a very low powered $100 Windows 10 Intel atom CPU ( Tronsmart X5).  My cellular phone is an older LG G3 phone with a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 Quad-Core Processor up to 2.5 GHz.

post-38990-0-76929400-1484582839_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-03176800-1484582840_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-29567400-1484582840_thumb.jpg