ATV app need to force restart before app will load

Macburp

Macburp

I'm running the Android TV app on a Nexus Player and a Sony Bravia Android TV.

Since the latest update, I'm finding that the first time I load Emby each day, loading freezes. It logs in, showing the log-in ident in the top-right corner, but then stops. No menu items appear on the left or right side.

The only way to get things working is to do a force restart of the app. Sometimes I have to retart the device to get a response from Emby.

I know my NP is short of RAM, but I have has the same problem on the Sony TV (which isn't used much for Emby), which has 2GB of RAM.

Please advise what logs you would like, if any. Thanks in advance for your help.

Is the clock and user the only thing visible on the screen at the time?  Everything else is black?  Screenshot?

Are you auto-logging in?  If so, does changing that make a difference?

I also have the same issue. I'm on the beta track. Sometimes when I try to use the app on an Nvidia Shield I get a black screen and the only way to get back to the app is to go to settings and then force close the app. after that, the app loads instantly. It is not like when the server is "asleep" and I get the timeout errors or even the circle. No clock or anything, just a black screen.

• Like 1

I've had this problem for forever. Sometimes it works directly but very often on my AFT stick I have to open a different, close that and then open Emby. Sometimes I have to do that two or three times before Emby finally starts.

When it doesn't work most if the time it shows an all grey screen, sometimes black.

Macburp

Is the clock and user the only thing visible on the screen at the time?  Everything else is black?  Screenshot?

Are you auto-logging in?  If so, does changing that make a difference?

A picture of the screen is at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22367822/20170117_223125.jpg

As you can see there are no menus on the left or right side of the screen, although the screen shows that I have logged in (name and logo at top right).

At the time of photo this screen had been there for more than five minutes, I usually give up sooner than that. A force stop of the app cures this, and log-in is quick once the app has been stopped.

Auto log-in is enabled, and the auto sign-off time is six hours. I'll try with manual log-in and let you know.

And you can't back out of the app from there? 

I can recall seeing that once on my system but I was able to back out and restart and it came up normally.  Was never able to reproduce it but I suspected it had something to do with the server having just restarted.

Macburp

And you can't back out of the app from there? 

I can recall seeing that once on my system but I was able to back out and restart and it came up normally.  Was never able to reproduce it but I suspected it had something to do with the server having just restarted.

Will give it a try and let you know. Thanks

Macburp

Will give it a try and let you know. Thanks

So I had a few seconds this morning, opened up Emby on my NP and got the usual blank screen (see screenshot). Hit back on the remote and got to the main NP screen. Tried to open Enby again and everything loaded quickly (quicker than usual). Very odd.

My server definitely had not been reloaded or sleeping. The PC I use as server is slow (Pentium GS20 with Windows 7, I need an upgrade).

Will try disabling auto-login when I get another moment.

grayline23

I have had this same issue on all 3 of my AFT devices. Seems that this shouldn't be something that is just now being handled. I have had this issue for a better part of a year now. Would be nice if our money paid would actually go towards fixing our purchased product. Getting tired of being nickled and dimed for a product that ALWAYS has a problem...

I've been having this same issue with the Fire TV box.

I have had this same issue on all 3 of my AFT devices. Seems that this shouldn't be something that is just now being handled. I have had this issue for a better part of a year now. Would be nice if our money paid would actually go towards fixing our purchased product. Getting tired of being nickled and dimed for a product that ALWAYS has a problem...

Are you guys having the exact same thing as the OP (the same screen shows) and not a grey screen?

So I had a few seconds this morning, opened up Emby on my NP and got the usual blank screen (see screenshot). Hit back on the remote and got to the main NP screen. Tried to open Enby again and everything loaded quickly (quicker than usual). Very odd.

My server definitely had not been reloaded or sleeping. The PC I use as server is slow (Pentium GS20 with Windows 7, I need an upgrade).

Will try disabling auto-login when I get another moment.

Okay, the next time you can reproduce that, please immediately send a log from the app after the second, successful, login.  Thanks.

When it doesn't work most if the time it shows an all grey screen, sometimes black.

This is a different issue and seems to plague mostly the Fire TV.  Something about how it goes to sleep but I cannot reproduce it no matter what I've tried.

dbowles1975

Are you guys having the exact same thing as the OP (the same screen shows) and not a grey screen?

I usually get one of three different issues:

1. The grey screen linked above.

2. A black screen that says "loading" followed by a timeout error. 

3. Only the libraries load. 

My server is an i7-4790 w/ 16GB of RAM and it runs 24/7. I have two Fire TV boxes at the house that we use for Emby. They both have wired Ethernet. This just started happening for me in the last few weeks. 

For what it's worth the Emby app on my S6 Edge loads instantly even over 4G LTE. 

1. The grey screen linked above.

2. A black screen that says "loading" followed by a timeout error. 

3. Only the libraries load. 

Okay, the grey screen and the other two are two different issues.  The next time you get only the libraries loading, please send a log from the app.  You will need to turn on the debug options now so that the option will be there when it happens.  Thanks.

xXSagaiaXx

I've had this problem for forever. Sometimes it works directly but very often on my AFT stick I have to open a different, close that and then open Emby. Sometimes I have to do that two or three times before Emby finally starts.

I have to do this every once and a while. I used to have to force close the emby app in order to get it to show anything.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Can't get app to work after I pin connect loading comes up for few seconds then black screen press some buttons and kicked out to home screen tried rebooting fire tv friend uninstalling emby and reinstalling still getting the same

Can't get app to work after I pin connect loading comes up for few seconds then black screen press some buttons and kicked out to home screen tried rebooting fire tv friend uninstalling emby and reinstalling still getting the same

Hi.  Sorry to hear about this.  Please create a new topic with as much information as possible.  Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

Fratopolis

just sent log from aftv.

an easy way to reproduce i find is to open app quickly move around app in and out of shows or movies, push home button, open app again and repeat. it will happen eventually. The app freezes, closes, or goes to grey only screen.

I can do this multiple times and keep resending logs if that helps. for me im patient enough where this doesnt really bother me but i see what people are saying. When i used a Nexus Player it was easy to fix by force closing the app but on aftv you have to go all through the settings to do this which is a pain to force stop. dang aftv with no quick force quit option lol

just sent log from aftv.

an easy way to reproduce i find is to open app quickly move around app in and out of shows or movies, push home button, open app again and repeat. it will happen eventually. The app freezes, closes, or goes to grey only screen.

I can do this multiple times and keep resending logs if that helps. for me im patient enough where this doesnt really bother me but i see what people are saying. When i used a Nexus Player it was easy to fix by force closing the app but on aftv you have to go all through the settings to do this which is a pain to force stop. dang aftv with no quick force quit option lol

Pretty sure this is creating a different issue altogether.  There are some bugs in the underlying framework elements we are using that can cause crashes like that with very fast navigation.

ahh. i moved slower and it would not recreate. dangit lol hope this didnt cause more confusion

No worries.  That's another problem I'd love to solve but it appears to be buried deep in places other than our app.  Well, I could solve it I think by eliminating backdrops but I don't really want to do that...

• 4 weeks later...
Macburp

Okay, the next time you can reproduce that, please immediately send a log from the app after the second, successful, login. Thanks.

Ok, so finally the problem reoccurred exactly as described as earlier in the thread. Left if for five minutes just to be sure, then backed out and reloaded emby - everything loaded instantly.

@@ebr, I've sent you a log.