OLD PC question...

Jasoon

Can someone tell me, i have a i3 based pc that im replacing would it be worth putting FreeBSD or NAS onto it and using the old machine purely as an emby server?

woodsb02

Can someone tell me, i have a i3 based pc that im replacing would it be worth putting FreeBSD or NAS onto it and using the old machine purely as an emby server?

It probably also depends on your level of comfort on the command line. FreeBSD can be nicely tailored to be lean, but FreeNAS has an easier web interface.

woodsb02

would an old i3 pc run FreeBSD or FreeNAS ok?

it currently runs windows 7 and emby server with no real issues...

Yes, it should work fine.

whould have no problem running FreeBSD but that is a really long way from windows. There is no default GUI on FreeBSD! 
FreeNAS would be a much better choice if you just want a easy setup for a NAS, but it doesn't give anything away for free.  
And it would be worth mentioning that both FreeNAS and FreeBSD is ram hungry if you use ZFS

To use ZFS, at least 1 GB of memory is recommended (for all architectures) but more is helpful as ZFS needs *lots* of memory. Depending on your workload, it may be possible to use ZFS on systems with less memory, but it requires careful tuning to avoid panics from memory exhaustion in the kernel. 

But if you want too have fun and learning the ropes of the BSD world, just don't think that it is going too be easy. IT WON'T BE and it was not designed too be easy. BSD was more designed to be a lovely lady that is hard to get, but once you have her you will love her. 

• 3 weeks later...
zmoneyradio

I'm running a nas4free 10.3.0.3 (FreeBSD), which is the continuation of the original FreeNAS project before the creator sold the name and company to some corporation. It's less memory hungry and runs more efficiently with older hardware than FreeNAS currently does as far as I can tell. I'm running a jail with the Emby-Server running inside it. You can use the web GUI in nas4free to install "OneButtonInstaller" then use that to install "The Brig" which will create and control jails for the nas4free system. The Emby-Server installation process was done by command prompt - which I knew nothing about before I got into setting up this NAS box a few years ago. If you are already familiar with FreeBSD, or are down with diving in,  Muad is right, it's so satisfying to get the hang of it and get it all working well.

FWIW - I'm running a 10+ year old Intel Xeon Dell Precision 490 desktop (made for Windows XP!) with 10GB RAM to support ZFS on 3.5 TB RAIDZ. Also added dual gigabit NICs. The system works smoothly with 4 locally networked devices (running Kodi), and 2 remote devices (1 Kodi plugin roughly 1,000 miles east of me over the internet, and 1 android app pushing to Chromecast in the same city as me also over the internet). All clients are set to force HTTP over SMB and use the 1000 Mbps video quality option. Server overall CPU usage typically runs at around 25% with 2 active users and around 50% with all active users (6 total for me).

So, I'm confident your system will run well with the right setup. FreeBSD is a rabbit hole I went down a few years ago and have been addicted to ever since.

• Like 1