Playback problems on QNAP TS-251+

syplex

I am having playback problems with videos on Emby and my QNAP TS-251+.  Specifically playing videos I am recording with my DVR (Channels App DVR).  But Blu Ray MKV movies (created with MakeMKV) have problems too.

When I try to watch in the browser, the video skips and cuts out frequently.  When watching using the Apple TV app, the videos take a really long time to start (60+ seconds) and then cut out after awhile (maybe 1-3 minutes?).  I've tried many combinations of versions and libraries on the QNAP and just tried upgrading the QTS firmware to 4.3.2 beta.  But I have had the same problem every time.  I've also tried changing the the settings in the Transcoding options section: Hardware Acceleration, Transcoding Thread Count, Enable Throttling, etc. without success.

Log files attached.

Emby Version: 3.1.2.0 x64

QTS Version: Tried 4.2.2 and 4.3.2

QMono Version: 4.6.2.7 x64

ffmpeg Version: 3.2.2 x64

ffmpeg-transcode-f0e267d2-b5d2-49a0-baa1-103ef0835bdb.txt.txt

server-63620022299.txt.txt

Edited by syplex

Hi @@syplex, in this particular log you are just not getting fast enough transcoding. Browsers do not support mpeg2 therefore the server has to convert it, and this can be a very costly process. Here's a few suggestions I can offer:

- Try using a different Emby app that can direct play those files, like the Emby Android apps for example can handle mpeg2 natively.

- Use the Emby DVR which can convert your mpeg2 to h264 on the fly

- Check out the Emby folder sync plugin which can pre-convert your files for easy watching later

Let us know if this helps. thanks !

Thanks for your quick reply! I tried safari iOS browser, chrome browser, Apple TV emby app, and the iOS emby app. But everything has the same problem. Is this a problem with the QNAP model I have and if so is there a model fast enough to work properly with emby and my device types? I just bought it and could try another model or a synology if that's better.

I looked at folder sync but I really don't want to make copies of everything for all of the different devices that will be connecting. If the qnap isn't fast enough for emby wouldn't Emby DVR have the same problem?

Yes, certainly.

Interesting, the CPU has the same number of cores but is actually slower frequency than the J1900 in the TS-251+. Can it take advantage of hardware acceleration? Also, I noticed I am able to play back the same DVR mpeg2 files via their web server in the browser on my iPad and via their Apple TV app. I wonder if there is a way to play natively without transcoding that their software is taking advantage of? The dvr software is Channels DVR. I have it running on the TS-251+.

Edited by syplex

In a web browser no, but they may have gpu accelerated transcoding enabled by default whereas for us it's off by default. In the server transcoding menu you can try the VA API option and see if that performs better than transcoding with cpu.

@@syplex, if you didn't see a difference then perhaps it wasn't being used? please provide an ffmpeg log so that we can review, thanks !

• 4 weeks later...
raven-au

Will emby be able to transcode on the QNAP TS-x53A?

Unlikely.

Yes, certainly.

I don't think that you are right about that Luke.

Interesting, the CPU has the same number of cores but is actually slower frequency than the J1900 in the TS-251+. Can it take advantage of hardware acceleration? Also, I noticed I am able to play back the same DVR mpeg2 files via their web server in the browser on my iPad and via their Apple TV app. I wonder if there is a way to play natively without transcoding that their software is taking advantage of? The dvr software is Channels DVR. I have it running on the TS-251+.

I happened to try and use the Web app. recently.

A TS-253 Pro (Intel® Celeron® 2.0GHz quad-core processor, with 8GB RAM) can't transcode mpeg2 to a Firefox browser instance so the TS-253A probably isn't going to go very well either.

At first I thought the problem was the CPU as I have often had problems when things need to transcode and the NAS CPU power is not quite sufficient but there is more going on than just that.

For example I encoded some 480p shows just recently and tried to play one (from the TS-543 Pro) in the web app. using Firefox.

That showed the same problem described here with the transcode using only about 50% of the available CPU and little else going on on the NAS so I think there's more going on with the transocode execution than just CPU limitations.

Even stranger the AppleTV app transcodes quite a bit too (apparently due to limited video support in the iOS player) but it has somewhat less problems.

I'm fairly sure that, overall, Emby transodes have worked better than they do now in the past but don't have specific evidence other than what I've described above.

Ian

mpeg2 is not really a good measuring stick. h264 is much more widely used and the qnap should have no problems with some light h264 transcoding.

• 9 months later...
mmartinez

Hi

I am having similar issues, I have a QNAP TS-251 running Emby 3.2.36.0, it will play 3 home movies and it stops playing. I have Amazon Prime and I am able to see their movies without any issues.

Could someone please give me some pointers that could alleviate this issue.

Thank You

Mario

Hi

I am having similar issues, I have a QNAP TS-251 running Emby 3.2.36.0, it will play 3 home movies and it stops playing. I have Amazon Prime and I am able to see their movies without any issues.

Could someone please give me some pointers that could alleviate this issue.

Thank You

Mario

hi there @@mmartinez, please discuss an example, and attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !