PC not reverting back to 60hz after closing Emby Theater

maintainin

maintainin

Hi all,

I have an annoying issue. When I watch a movie that's 24p it's switching correctly to 24p but upon finishing the movie and exiting Emby theater my gpu is staying at 24hz. I have to go into nvidia control panel every time and change back to 60hz. Any idea how to fix this so it automatically switches back to 60hz? Thanks

maintainin

Sorry for the long delayed response but I figured out how to fix this. I had to set "change monitor refresh rate to match video" to NO in Emby theater settings. The desktop now reverts back to 60p when exiting Emby theater and it still properly switches to 24p when I start a movie. I'm assuming because I have the refresh rates for my display set in madvr?

Guest asrequested

Sorry for the long delayed response but I figured out how to fix this. I had to set "change monitor refresh rate to match video" to NO in Emby theater settings. The desktop now reverts back to 60p when exiting Emby theater and it still properly switches to 24p when I start a movie. I'm assuming because I have the refresh rates for my display set in madvr?

Yes. If you use madVR to match the refresh rate, then it should only work while the app is still open.

5882d3bda7b87_Snapshot_459.jpg

Edited by Doofus

• 1 month later...
pclausen

I'm having this same issue.  After playing a BRD title, my desktop refresh rate has been changed from 60hz to 23hz.  If I then attempt to play a 60hz TV episode, ET will hang and I have to do a ctrl-alt-delete, kill ET, then go to NVIDIA control panel and change the refresh rate back to 60hz.  Then start ET again to watch my TV episode.

I have a GTX 1070 and have the madVR settings pretty much maxed out.  I'm rendering to a 4k display.  I have ET set to NOT change monitor refresh rate to match video.  I do this within the madVR settings, which I understand to be best practice.

There are also times when madVR leaves the desktop refresh rate at 59Hz.  This typically required a reboot of the whole HTPC to recover.

If I disable madVR altogether, these issues all go away, but I much prefer the picture quality with it enabled.

Here are my display mode settings:

madvrdisplaymodes.PNG

Any ideas?

Guest asrequested

It's actually better to set your GPU refresh rate to 59Hz. 60Hz is fine, but 59Hz is closer to the natural rate of a computer display. This may also have something to do with your TV. If madVR is reverting back to 59Hz, try setting your GPU to that, maybe there's a conflict? 

Also, is there a particular rate that causes this?

Edited by Doofus

pclausen

My TV displays a rock solid 3840 x 2160 desktop at 23, 24, 59 or 60Hz.  I'll try setting it to 59 Hz, but I suspect that will make playback of 60Hz material fail.

Most of the time madVR is reverting back to 23Hz on my desktop (from the 60Hz default), upon exiting playback of 23.976Hz material.  It should be reverting back to the original refresh rate of 60Hz I would think.

Playback of any of my BRD titles, which are all 23.976Hz causes my desktop refresh rate to be reset to 23Hz.  As long as I keep playing back movies within ET there are no issues.  It is when I decide to watch a TV show after watching a movie this issue occurs and I have to exit ET, change the refresh back to 60Hz in the Nvidia control panel, then fire ET back up.

pclausen

Yes.  I rip my BRDs to .mkv using MakeMKV, preserving the original untouched video and untouched best audio stream.  For example:

lucy.JPG

lucy2.JPG

Guest asrequested

A folder rip is a direct copy of the disc folder structure. Yours is a container change, so that should be fine. Do you get the same problem with files you didn't rip with makemkv?

Edited by Doofus

pclausen

I used to rip using eac3to back in the day before MakeMKV was around.  Back then I had to rip the audio to FLAC since HDMI on PCs did not yet support bit streaming of the HD audio formats.   Let me see if I can dig up a title ripped with eac3to to see if those exhibit the issue.

Also, it looks like the issue with the desktop being reset to 59Hz might be caused by watching live TV (which in my case is from a HDHomerun tuner).

• 2 months later...

@@maintainin

@@pclausen

@@One2Go

@@heula

@@Teddy

The next release of Emby Theater will feature improved performance, hardware acceleration, and better multi-monitor support. If you'd like to try it out ahead of time you can do so here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Enjoy.