Auto-convert: How to set bitrate?

obrienmd

Guest asrequested

Correct. But MadVR clearly is working as shown by the difference in viewing broadcast TV at 1080i, the jaggies are horrible without it.

Curious. It should be there by default. Take a look in your directshowplayer.xml. It may be disabled, some how.

obrienmd

Thanks for the feedback, just now getting back to this. Didn't mean to sound so flippant in previous response, I think you meant playback options. The Fire TV that's playing it does well with pretty much any h264 source (including Emby's live-transcodes when the TV source is saved as mpeg2 and it's transcoded for playback)... Will dig in further!

Guest asrequested

Thanks for the feedback, just now getting back to this. Didn't mean to sound so flippant in previous response, I think you meant playback options. The Fire TV that's playing it does well with pretty much any h264 source (including Emby's live-transcodes when the TV source is saved as mpeg2 and it's transcoded for playback)... Will dig in further!

When you play a transcoded recorded show through the fire tv, is it direct playing?

obrienmd

If I understand you correctly, you're asking if when I play live tv which is transcoded "live" (rather than saving the MPEG2 stream for future streaming), does Emby transcode it again? I suppose I haven't checked specifically, but I think I only see a single ffmpeg process in that scenario, which suggests the only transcode happening is the "live" one from the incoming MPEG2 stream to the h.264 recording file.

Also, I would generally suspect that it doesn't transcode it again, as the whole point of that feature is to allow direct play (I think) on common devices, an the Fire TV has some pretty serious decode capability.

I'll look into it, seems like a good lead.

Guest asrequested

No. Playback of a show that you had transcoded when it was recorded. So a show that the server has converted to the container you chose. When you play it, is it direct playing? I'm just wondering if it's getting transcoded again, when you watch it.

Edited by Doofus

• 2 weeks later...