Questions and a Request about Emby Live TV

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I apologize in advance if anything I ask here has been discussed or explained and I just missed it. I can't find it anywhere through searching. I have had some of these questions for a while but have been too busy lately to get onto the forums and post anything.

1. My first questions is about the NFO files that are created along with TV recordings. I don't recall those being there until about a month ago. What are they for? I currently have to use MCEBuddy to create a file naming structure into my TV Shows folder from my recording folder (as I will discuss in my feature request) that won't make me have to identify so many TV Recordings and these get left behind after the show is moved. Am I missing something if they aren't in the folder with the recording?

2. Why can't I delete the Emby created recordings folder and have it stay away? From what I understand it's needed by the server for some reason but I can't seem to hide it or anything. Is there something I am missing that I could do about this? I otherwise have this empty folder showing up in my Apps.

3. Feature Request - (maybe I should post this in the feature request section but I feel it goes along with what I am posting overall here in this thread) Is there a way to have an option to add the year after the Series name (at the Series Folder level) when recording? If I had this option, I wouldn't care about #2 above because I would just use that folder and take MCEBuddy out of the mix altogether. 

The reason I want this is that currently I often have to go in an manually identify some of my TV Show recordings because Emby doesn't recognize them without the year after the Series name. It is why I use MCEBuddy to rename and move to the TV Shows folder I set up to avoid this scenario. That way I end up with: The Flash (2014)/Season 04/Episode name S02E04. With that naming convention Emby has no trouble at all giving me the correct metadata every time. 

If any of my questions above have been answered somewhere, feel free to post the link. Thanks!

• Like 1

For #1 - Emby saves recordings using the mixed content folder type. The nfo's are needed in order for the library scan to determine the difference between episodes and movies. Also many programs will not have internet metadata so the guide data is the only available source of information.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

For #1 - Emby saves recordings using the mixed content folder type. The nfo's are needed in order for the library scan to determine the difference between episodes and movies. Also many programs will not have internet metadata so the guide data is the only available source of information.

Thanks for your response and explaining this. That makes sense now at least. 

So, if we record an obscure show that may not be listed on TVDB or other internet metadata site the nfo will contain that data Emby can display what the show is? So, I would be missing something by moving the files via MCEBuddy correct? 

Out of curiosity, does Emby only use the title of the series folder and episode name/number to pull the metadata from TVDB or is there some data in the file itself it uses? I was wondering if the NFO file can contain the data such as the year of the series so that when Emby reads it it also pulls the correct metadata for the correct show in instances where there may be more than one TV Show with the same name in a different year? I am not sure what the NFO files can contain though. If it can provide the year for the Series then the Series level folder wouldn't need the year in parenthesis after it right?

If this all were the case I could go back to just using the recordings folder and rename it TV Series or something and cut out having to use MCEBuddy.

jasonmcroy

Then could it be a bug that when Emby scans those folders that it's pulling the wrong metadata for some of those series? 

No. We plug the info into moviedb or tvdb searches and we use what they come back with. Their search engines are designed to always return something even if it is not correct. That is why we save the nfo, because with local metadata, that takes priority and it is not replaced by internet metadata. But you've removed the nfo and now you're having a problem.

jasonmcroy

No. We plug the info into moviedb or tvdb searches and we use what they come back with. Their search engines are designed to always return something even if it is not correct. That is why we save the nfo, because with local metadata, that takes priority and it is not replaced by internet metadata. But you've removed the nfo and now you're having a problem.

No, the problem is there even if the nfo is there. Just to clarify, the problem is that incorrect metadata gets pulled for some shows. 

I tried it this way at first - I used the original recordings folder and just pointed Emby at that one and left everything untouched. Emby will scrape the folder and give me The Flash from 1990 instead of 2014 so I have to go in an manually change it. There are several other shows that this happens with as well. Just to clarify again, this is using the original recordings folder with the nfo files in them.

Since that was happening I then decided to change my method and create a separate folder to move the recordings to with MCEBuddy that includes the year after the series name and then Emby scraps it correctly every time without me having to manually Identify it.

Then what you can do is disable internet metadata for the library that the recordings are being saved in. Unfortunately we don't have the series year, otherwise we could save that into the nfo and that would resolve that conflict.  But without that data your best bet might be to not allow internet metadata.

jasonmcroy

Thanks. That does directly acknowledge what is missing and that it's not in the nfo itself. I guess Schedules Direct doesn't provide that data for inclusion? 

Another thought I had (which is #3 above) is whether it's possible to add in the ability (maybe into the Auto Organize setting) to rename the series level folder to include the year? That would at least keep everything in house without having to use the 3rd party App to do the work. Just a thought. 

Well we have some info on the episode to try and figure out what series it is. So i guess there's room for possible improvement there. We just don't have any info on the series itself. Like for example normally you'd solve this issue on  your own by creating your series folder with the year in it. We don't have that series info so we don't do that.

jasonmcroy

Like for example normally you'd solve this issue on  your own by creating your series folder with the year in it. We don't have that series info so we don't do that.

Right, that solution would be fine except Emby creates the whole file structure when it records so you end up with a new series folder beside an existing series folder (one with the year and one without the year). 

Anyway, thanks for chatting with me about this. I guess for now I will keep my current solution with MCEBuddy renaming and moving the file. It's a shame that MCEBuddy doesn't move all the contents too, like the NFO files. 

• 2 weeks later...