Direct Streaming vs Direct Playing

legallink

Guest asrequested
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:2 -> #0:1 (ac3 (native) -> ac3 (native))

Well @ your example the audio is getting converted from 640000 to 384000.

Ah! Ok, thanks Happy. I didn't catch that. That would be it. Not a transcode in the true sense of changing codec, but an adjustment of sorts. Demuxing, re-encoding the audio and then remuxing (otherwise referred to as Direct Streaming). I guess the app doesn't support that bitrate.

Edited by Doofus

The video codec was copied, the audio codec was converted to the codec it already is, with a bitrate drop. Technically both streams inside the container are direct streaming since a bitrate drop on audio that way is ridiculously fast and cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

The video codec was copied, the audio codec was converted to the codec it already is, with a bitrate drop. Technically both streams inside the container are direct streaming since a bitrate drop on audio that way is ridiculously fast and cheap.

Yeah, it makes total sense, now. That was bugging me, I needed to understand lol. 

Thanks for the clarification, guys :)

CBers

In our case nowadays Direct Stream means a container swap is happening.

If it is, then you are misleading people.

You should have in the Dashboard exactly what is happening, not pandering to Plex users.

If they want them to be educated, then put up a sticky post in the General section about why Emby's terminology is different to Plex.

We are Emby users after all, not Plex users :)

• Like 1

Happy2Play

But the key is as @@CBers said if everything is spelled out as Plex has then it is easy to point users to the information when they ask.

• Like 3

FrostByte

Direct access of file.

What clients are you using that have "Direct Access" to your media?  My media is mostly on a NAS and none of my clients have network access/rights all the way back to my NAS.  My server has access, but not my clients.  The server just gives my clients a list of everything it has to offer and then streams it to the client.

clarkss12

This is a very interesting conversation, got me to looking.  Found that running the Live TV on my inexpensive Android cell phone (Qualcomm MSM8975AC Snapdragon 801) uses the "Direct Playing" and it is working perfectly.  However, playing the same live TV on my Mi Box, it uses "Direct Streaming", and it buffers all the time.

I am using my $40 Linux box for my Emby server, and everything is connected via gigabit Ethernet and Ethernet switches, except my cell phone that is connect to the 2.4GHZ network.

I would think the opposite would apply, but guess not.

Switched over to running the same live TV channel (720P) running the Emby app on my 2016  Samsung TV.  It is playing using "Direct Playing", but is playing very well with no buffering.

Ran another test, this time using my cell phone connected via 4g cell data.  Had to use my Emby server running on my $100 Tronsmart Windows 10 microPC, because I have not set up my Linux box to use the 4g yet. 

Anyway, using the Emby app on my cell phone connected to my cellular 4g connection, my live stream (720P) again plays very well, and it is using (Direct Playing).  One more piece of info concerning streaming over my cellular 4g connection, my internet connection is 75G up and 15G down.

post-38990-0-38151600-1484316048_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-74909800-1484316048_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-93178300-1484316048_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-13661100-1484316064_thumb.jpg

Happy2Play

Only your log will show why the MIBox is Direct Streaming.

my internet connection is 75G up and 15G down

We all wish. :)

Guest asrequested

What clients are you using that have "Direct Access" to your media? My media is mostly on a NAS and none of my clients have network access/rights all the way back to my NAS. My server has access, but not my clients. The server just gives my clients a list of everything it has to offer and then streams it to the client.

My server has all my data, and I have an HTPC. Both are connected to a switch. Using theater desktop, everything direct plays, using the UWP app, we can now see that the only things that direct stream are files that require a slight audio adjustment. With audio it doesn't support, like Atmos, it just doesn't play audio, and direct plays the video only.

MSattler

If you mean the server dashboard, and it says direct, you are getting the unmodified file. Thats all thats really important, the fact is has "direct" shown, the rest is irrelevant.

When using pure "direct play" emby server is not involved. The client gets direct access to the files network path on its own, think kodi. You lose your emby stuff, the resume ability, watched status, other emby things. So in an effort to make it easier for users to understand, "direct play" is used on the dashboard when emby is playing the unmodified file. This makes it on-par with what plex does. Plex has to wrap all requests through an http request same way emby does.

What we call "remux" though, plex is calling direct streaming. Emby doesnt follow plex in this case. Plex calls this "direct stream" while emby honestly still calls this "transcoding". If ffmpeg is invoked its still a transcode, even if just the container has changed. This is the major difference in terminology. Emby is telling it like it is. Plex is telling a white lie.

Actually Direct Play simply means the file is being played back with no container swap.   If my shield plays back a movie and the emby server is local it will direct play.   If I play something back on a device that does not support the audio and a container swap is done, then it is direct stream.

Most Emby clients cannot direct play from the file share, except for Kodi, and Android if you use a third party player.   FRom the Dashboard there is no way to tell if it is direct play from the storage server, or direct play from the Emby server.   Meaning, many of us have our storage server separate from Emby.  So from the Dashboard there is no way to tell in that scenario if the media comes from storage server through emby server to client, or storage server straight to client.

While going through the Emby server may not be a huge issue, when dealing with multiple storage servers you could run into a bandwidth issue on the Emby server before ever seeing an issue on the storage servers.  The reason being:

Direct Play from a storage server that does not have Emby running means a 35Mbps movie, will use 35Mbps.

Direct Play that goes through an Emby server means the Emby interface sees 35Mbps coming in, and 35Mbps going out.  In effect that Emby server is now seeing 70Mbps throughput.   Not a huge deal per say, but 4k bit rates and local playback could become more of an issue as more people move to 4k content.   A 4k UHD movie can be up to 75Mbps for a stream.  In this through Emby Server scenario, that would mean 150Mbps for one movie.   If multiple people start watching it could become an issue.  In those cases, get multiple NIC's and bond them.

For most people Direct Play from the storage server vs Direct Play through an Emby server will have no visible difference.  It's just power users with many active users that need to be aware.

zigzagtshirt

So here's an example. Direct access of file. Doesn't support the audio, log is called remuxing, audio is transcoded, dashboard says direct stream, video unchanged.

Am I right in saying that the container is changed, but direct streamed because the video has not been transcoded?

587847ed4af3d_Snapshot_434.jpg

Oops! My bad. The audio wasn't being transcoded. But why direct stream not direct play?

Might be a silly question...

What's the red progress bar that appears under the Direct Streaming info?  I don't think it shows for direct play.  Is it progress of the stream data sent to the client that's playing the file?

mastrmind11

What's the red progress bar that appears under the Direct Streaming info?  I don't think it shows for direct play.  Is it progress of the stream data sent to the client that's playing the file?

It's the transcode's progress.

MSattler

That is for the transcoding, although in this case it was just a container swap so it's a progress bar for the container swap/remux.

CBers

What's the red progress bar that appears under the Direct Streaming info? I don't think it shows for direct play. Is it progress of the stream data sent to the client that's playing the file?

That description with image is wrong.

It is either transcoding or remuxing, and the red line is the current progress.

The green line is the actual playback progress.

You would always want the red line further advanced than the green line ;)

Guest asrequested

What's the red progress bar that appears under the Direct Streaming info? I don't think it shows for direct play. Is it progress of the stream data sent to the client that's playing the file?

The red bar indicates the progress of the remux or transcoding. In my example, it shows that the entire file has been completed.

clarkss12

Only your log will show why the MIBox is Direct Streaming.

my internet connection is 75G up and 15G down

We all wish. :)

Grrrrrrr, guess I was still half asleep, my speed DOWN is 75 and UP is 15................  Sorry for the miss statement, big difference.

Guest asrequested

Grrrrrrr, guess I was still half asleep, my speed DOWN is 75 and UP is 15................ Sorry for the miss statement, big difference.

And not 'G' right? Megabits?

clarkss12

And not 'G' right? Megabits?

Dang, I must be more than half asleep, must be a major hangover......... Yes, megabits...............

my fist modem was a 300 baud, back in the early 80's, I believe.

Edited by clarkss12
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I believe Emby is using close to the same definition Plex is, except when partially transcoding like with audio Emby is still calling it DS.  I would prefer to be told the audio is transcoding, but not a big deal I suppose.  Video being transcoded is my main concern.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250387-Streaming-Media-Direct-Play-and-Direct-Stream

You should have in the Dashboard exactly what is happening, not pandering to Plex users.

We are not pandering to Plex users.  We are competing in an open marketplace.

If you walk into a store and see two products that do the same basic thing and one of them says "this one is better" even though both of them do the exact same thing the exact same way, most people will pick the one that claims to be "better".

And, in the world of the internet, they will then go out to every forum of which they are a member and post with authority the fact that the one they picked is better.