What box do you run Emby Theater on

Marc_G

Hi folks,

I almost put this into the Hardware forum, but it is really very focused around Emby Theater, so I decided to stick it here.

As the title says, I'm curious to know details of what computer you use connected to the TV (or through AVR of course) that you run Emby Theater on, and does it do well with HD audio, subtitles, and handling SD content?

The reason for my post is that I had a fairly disastrous experience over the holiday with a small Windows 10 TV box (Tronsmart Ara X5 Plus) which "ran" ET but did a very poor job. Video was jerky, it did NOT support HD audio (TrueHD/DTS-HD) despite claims that it did, and content with subtitles or that required any upscaling or other processing would give inconsistent results. Problems like audio lag, or severely jerky video abounded. ET user interface lagged and was unstable with the circle of death all the time.

So, I sent it back for a refund. I've left my new Emby server machine as the direct ET playing box for the moment, and it is perfectly fluid and supports all the HD audio stuff. No problems with subtitles or upscaling on ET. It's based on an i5-6600 3.5Ghz (Intel HD 530 graphics) in an Asus B150M board, using the integrated graphics

Now, I want to eventually move the server box out of there, but not lose the nice, robust, fluid interface and playback I've got.

So the question is, in terms of recent / available hardware, what's a good platform that doesn't give up fluidity or HD audio, while still being small, quiet (silent preferred), and relatively cheap?

Only interested in running ET, not Kodi or any other player.

Thanks

Marc

Maybe wait a little for Intel NUC with Apollo Lake - those will get native CEC support :)

I'm curious if this will be new "perfect box" for Home Theatre :)

Edited by barat
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see the price point in the new NUC boxes. Currently they are pretty pricey.

I'm in no big rush as my current solution works. Eventually though I want to move my server box out of the media room.

Native CEC support eh? I never turn off my HTPC but might consider doing so if the CEC makes it seamless. However, Windows 10 likes tondobtoo much housekeeping when it wakes up so I would probably just leave the thing on.

Running the ET desktop app? In Windows?

No - running Pi Emby Theater ;)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/169-raspberry-pi/

But it's still work in progress, and Pi won't be good choice for HEVC if Your server can't handle transcoding.

Native CEC support eh? I never turn off my HTPC but might consider doing so if the CEC makes it seamless. However, Windows 10 likes tondobtoo much housekeeping when it wakes up so I would probably just leave the thing on.

Umm ... CEC have more usages like using TV remote to control application (no need for another remote) Edited by barat
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I run Emby Theater on my laptop. I don't have any PCs permanently connected to televisions in the house. All about small streaming clients.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I ran it on a NUC and it did everything I wanted perfectly including a pretty solid mad VR setup.  It was just an unnecessary PITA to have a PC hooked up to my TV so I retired it when the xbox one version of ET was released.

I also run it on my surface pro 3 where it runs quite well.

• Like 1

Vidman

Running the ET desktop app? In Windows?

Yes it now runs emby theater desktop in linux, you did not mention Windows as a requirement

Guest asrequested

I think the key thing would be to use a 6th gen Intel i3 or above. The rest won't really matter. I have an HTPC (which is on the rack) with an i5 6500. I use it for far more than Emby, and no issues.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

JeremyFr79

If you guys are not playing with Emby Theater on Raspberry PI, you should try it out. You can get everything you need here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IYC0LT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For those who like assembling an htpc, you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Will it run on a Pi2? I was recently given a Pi2 but have no idea what to really do with it lol

It will but for Pi2 and below we have most animations disabled. Considering the Pi3 costs a mere $40, that's where we're going to focus our efforts.

• Like 1

No - running Pi Emby Theater ;)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/169-raspberry-pi/

But it's still work in progress, and Pi won't be good choice for HEVC if Your server can't handle transcoding.

Umm ... CEC have more usages like using TV remote to control application (no need for another remote)

Hah! I'm very old school. I forgot that CEC is more than just on-off. In fact one of the reasons I prefer ET over Kodi is that most current Kodi skins have dropped mouse / cursor support and rely on remote or at least arrow keys. I'm a keyboard with trackball guy. I use this to control my HTPC:

587839f5b5524_2316609401.jpg

In my defense, we use the computer for more than just media playing. We often look stuff up on it and do other things, so a full keyboard comes in handy.

I think the key thing would be to use a 6th gen Intel i3 or above. The rest won't really matter. I have an HTPC (which is on the rack) with an i5 6500. I use it for far more than Emby, and no issues.

What is magic about the sixth gen of i3? Is that where they added HD audio or some such? I've had trouble finding audio specs for these various generation i3 / i5 etc processors. The comparison charts give graphics details but don't say much --or anything-- about audio. Sigh. I must be looking at the wrong place. For example:

https://ark.intel.com/compare/96484,89063,90733

Edited by Marc_G

Guest asrequested

What is magic about the sixth gen of i3? Is that where they added HD audio or some such? I've had trouble finding audio specs for these various generation i3 / i5 etc processors. The comparison charts give graphics details but don't say much --or anything-- about audio. Sigh. I must be looking at the wrong place. For example:

https://ark.intel.com/compare/96484,89063,90733

There's just more support for for the new decoding standards. Updating the drivers and such. Plus they are more energy efficient. Personally, I'll never use a small windows box. 

pir8radio

I bought the low end Alienware Alpha for my Emby Theater install...  Works great, supports HD Audio. Its an i3-4170T which is a 4th gen i3 and I have no issues.. Not-a-one bad thing to say about it.  Plays everything I throw at it.  The biggest video I have tried was a 4k 3840x2160 @ 30FPS 50024kbps   I probably need to find some 4k content and do some tests..  

Edited by pir8radio

Guest asrequested

I bought the low end Alienware Alpha for my Emby Theater install...  Works great, supports HD Audio. Its an i3-4170T which is a 4th gen i3 and I have no issues.. Not-a-one bad thing to say about it.  Plays everything I throw at it.  The biggest video I have tried was a 4k 3840x2160 @ 30FPS 50024kbps   I probably need to find some 4k content and do some tests..  

I still think that's a sexy unit. And with the Nvidia GPU, it should play everything.

• Like 1