Playback issue on my laptop with Intel HD graphics

LASooner

LASooner

I have a Dell laptop with Intel HD graphics, when the video starts playing and the MB overlay is present all is well. After a second the MB overlay disappears, and then the screen blacks out for second while the video continues to play (audio is present) and everytime I touch the screen or the track pad it blacks out again before the UI comes on. I'm assuming this is the video switching to some exclusive fullscreen mode, because if I snap another app to the side it doesn't do it. It also occasionally happens without touching the screen or the trackpad, but I don't know what causes it. I've tried all kinds of settings on the video card, and nothing keeps this from happening. The Intel graphics in my Surface don't have this problem, so I don't know what it could be. Some Dell crapware maybe? Anyone have an idea what might be causing it? Had a similar problem? Wouldn't be an issue, but I like to watch movies before bed on my laptop while my wife watches some crappy reality show.

LASooner

I do not. Just FFDShow and the LAV stuff installed by MediaBrowser theater which doesn't suffer from this problem, but lacks the touch control I like about the Windows 8.1 app

LASooner

Just for giggles I tried playing a video in the Windows 8 Video app and the same black out thing happens after a few seconds. So it's something about playing fullscreen video in a metro app. Not specific to the MB app, just fullscreen video in general on this chipset. I've found a few similar threads online, nobody seems to have a solution though. It feels like if I could just deactivate hardware acceleration that would fix the problem, but in 8 I have no idea where that would be.

Does your laptop also have a Nvidia graphics card and it's the switch via Optimus that happens?

Skickat från min HTC One X via Tapatalk

bloodtaker

Try adjusting your power settings in the laptop.

Sounds like it is going into energy saver mode on fullscreen video playback

Also what is your screen resolution and what exact dell laptop are you running.

Edited by bloodtaker

LASooner

It's a Dell Inspiron 3537, 1366x768, Power settings are set to 'performance' , full cpu, full graphics speed, on plugged in, which is how I'm using it.

If you know the answer to fix this, I'll plant a tree in your name, unless you're named Chauncy, because that's a terrible name for a tree.

LASooner

The driver was older than the one I had installed, but I tried installing it anyway, it still blanks out for a second on play.

LASooner

it comes back on, but any time I touch the mouse pad or the touchscreen it blacks out for a second and some times it blacks out without either. As I said if I run it split screen with another app it does not exhibit this behavior, which led me to believe it had something to do with going in and out of some fullscreen exclusive mode.