Android Emby App vs Web Browser

mgreig

What are the benefits of using the Android App vs simply connecting to my Emby server via a web browser?  I seem to have access to everything I want/need just from within Chrome and all things considered - I'd rather install fewer apps on my phone/laptop vs. more.

Thanks much

Vidman

It's personal preference. They are functionally identical.

Not really, the android app is actually less functional in some regards, some server settings are not accessible and it requires premiere or a one off in app payment for full payback

mastrmind11

Not really, the android app is actually less functional in some regards, some server settings are not accessible and it requires premiere or a one off in app payment for full payback

I assumed he was basically eluding to "why pay for an app when the browser is free?".  But you are correct.

I assumed he was basically eluding to "why pay for an app when the browser is free?".  But you are correct.

Yeah - that was really the gist of the question ... when I loaded the app all I got was "purchase this for $xxx when it certainly seemed to me that all of those same features were available via the browser at no cost.  I thought maybe I was missing something but it doesn't sound like I am...

For instance - I wasn't sure if a combination of the local Emby server (on my non-routable 192.168.x.x address) with the Premiere service would say allow for remote (WAN) connectivity without forcing me to open and forward port 8096 to my private server.  That would be a significant benefit of using the app ... but it sounds like app is really just a packaged, easy-to-use/deploy version of the webpage.  That accurate?

On a security front, I'm not thrilled with opening that port up and forwarding it to my Emby server.  There's no easy way to lock that down and I'd rather not expose the service to the Internet.  I'm leaning more toward using my VPN access to connect when I'm remote and then connecting to my Emby server via it's local, non-routable 192.168.x.x address.  My only concern with VPN access is the additional overhead of running the media stream inside a secure VPN tunnel.  

I'll have to do some testing but any feedback from the Emby community would be greatly appreciated.

With the native app you get the sync feature, camera upload of images to the server, automatic server discovery on the lan. You also get direct play of just about any audio and video format whereas the web app will require more transcoding. You also get lock screen media control.

• Like 4

With the native app you get the sync feature, camera upload of images to the server, automatic server discovery on the lan. You also get direct play of just about any audio and video format whereas the web app will require more transcoding. You also get lock screen media control.

Thanks for the additional detail Luke - a few follow-ups/clarifications:

1.  "whereas the web app will require more transcoding" - that transcoding occurs server-side (on my Emby server) and the stream sent is what I've selected in the web app ... correct?  Not that I want to unduly tax my media server but I'm much less concerned about load on the server/home side than the mobile/remote side.

1.a.  When playing a 1080p movie - I have a multitude of options in settings (i.e. 1080p -60Mbps; 1080p - 50Mbps; ... 720p - 4Mbps; ...)  This is the transcoding feature and the "- xxMbps" is the speed requirement for these various settings - correct?  Assuming that the higher the transmission speed requirement the higher the quality of the video (less transcoding compression and higher resolution)?

1.b.  Is there adaptive buffering occuring in the web app or how is it that I can watch a video @ 1080p -60Mbps on a mobile phone over 4G data with 10'ishMbps download max and a home Internet connection where my Emby server is located with a 5'ishMbps upload?

2.  Sync - what does the feature do?  Is this a streaming/buffering/pre-fetch feature to ensure smooth playback on my device or is it just a "download to local device" or ..?

3.  "Play all from here" - on a movie, it just plays ... is this intended to play multiple chapters or episodes in a TV show or what is the purpose of the option?

Thanks much

mastrmind11

Thanks for the additional detail Luke - a few follow-ups/clarifications:

1.  "whereas the web app will require more transcoding" - that transcoding occurs server-side (on my Emby server) and the stream sent is what I've selected in the web app ... correct?  Not that I want to unduly tax my media server but I'm much less concerned about load on the server/home side than the mobile/remote side.

1.a.  When playing a 1080p movie - I have a multitude of options in settings (i.e. 1080p -60Mbps; 1080p - 50Mbps; ... 720p - 4Mbps; ...)  This is the transcoding feature and the "- xxMbps" is the speed requirement for these various settings - correct?  Assuming that the higher the transmission speed requirement the higher the quality of the video (less transcoding compression and higher resolution)?

1.b.  Is there adaptive buffering occuring in the web app or how is it that I can watch a video @ 1080p -60Mbps on a mobile phone over 4G data with 10'ishMbps download max and a home Internet connection where my Emby server is located with a 5'ishMbps upload?

2.  Sync - what does the feature do?  Is this a streaming/buffering/pre-fetch feature to ensure smooth playback on my device or is it just a "download to local device" or ..?

3.  "Play all from here" - on a movie, it just plays ... is this intended to play multiple chapters or episodes in a TV show or what is the purpose of the option?

Thanks much

1) server side

1a) yes.  yes.

1b) kinda.  The server auto detects bandwidth and transcodes accordingly.

2)  Sync converts the file(s) to a more stream friendly format, and keeps the original.  The server will automatically choose the best version of the file to stream based on device/bandwidth, etc

3)  I haven't seen/used that so I can't answer.

Edited by mastrmind11

Vidman

2 . Sync let's you choose to download a direct copy or pretranscoded version to the local device. Note this feature is not complete as although you can download it to the local device you must either still have a connection to your server or use an external app to watch it

Edited by Vidman

maegibbons

Hi

I can only compare it to the differences in other apps like facebook, amazon, ebay and the like.  The functionality in these apps is equivalent"ish" to web browser but the integration makes it a lot easier to use on a palm size touch screen device.

My two cents.

Krs

Mark

SikSlayer

The simple fact is if you don't want to pay a dime (and no, I'm not saying that as a dig, just fact of the matter) then you can just pin the website, and you'll be just fine. That's the great thing about the site, it works well in just about every regard, if you're using it on a phone, tablet, console, or whatever. The core functions work and work pretty damn well. It's clear a lot of time and effort was put into making the site be very app-like from the start.

The Android Emby app is pretty much exactly the same, but with its native player, sync, and other minor fit and finish elements, it's worth the low cost of entry.

Sync let's you choose to download a direct copy or pretranscoded version to the local device. Note this feature is not complete as although you can download it to the local device you must either still have a connection to your server or use an external app to watch it

This, however, does need to be addressed.

Rumbaar

I cam in to make a related thread, but I'll use this one as it's was a question I was going to ask.

I have a under powered tablet running Android 6 and I've installed the EMBY app on it and find that the video, direct play, and audio is jolty and stuttering.  But on the same device I use the chrome browser interface and it's a much better experience and the video/audio is in sync.

I would have though it would be a better experience in the app?  How do I get a better inline experience, or am I limited with the under powered device?

The browser has limited playback capabilities therefore will rely more on the server to make things easier for the device via transcoding. The native app can do more things therefore will try to do most of the work directly on the device.

Rumbaar

The browser has limited playback capabilities therefore will rely more on the server to make things easier for the device via transcoding. The native app can do more things therefore will try to do most of the work directly on the device.

If a device is listed as "Direct Playing" does that mean it can be transcoding as well?  Is there a way to determine if a device is transcoding?

shorty1483

If a device is listed as "Direct Playing" does that mean it can be transcoding as well?  Is there a way to determine if a device is transcoding?

What are the settings in the Android app and the Tablet Browser for max Playback bitrate under user Preferences? Is it both set to Auto?