IMDB Ratings

mutu310

mutu310

Hi,

I'm building a server plugin and one of the tasks will need to fetch IMDB ratings. The development policy clearly indicate that scraping imdb.com is not allowed, however is it OK for a developer to use a third-party service such as omdbapi.com for retrieving such data?

• Like 1

mutu310

OK thanks. Actually I (briefly) looked around on the Internet and I didn't find a single service that does the function that my plugin will be doing. I will release the first version soon.

On another subject, what is the best way to store a string/date that is used during processing and will need to persist even after restarts?

@@mutu310 is this global data or attached to each library item. what data are you pulling from omdb? because chances are we are already doing it. thanks !

mutu310

@@Luke, I am 100% sure you are not doing this. I'm not querying OMDB with items in the library, but rather on items that one might want to have in the library ;)

I'm having a minor issue before I can think about releasing the alpha version of the product. I am reading an RSS and I want to only pick up the new items each time. What I did was created an extra configuration variable to hold the DateTime of the most recent entry in the RSS so that when it refreshes it only processes the new items. This is working well, however when I restart Emby for some reason it will read ALL items rather than the new ones the first time. If I re-run the schedule it will process 0 items in subsequent times. Any idea what could be causing the issue please? In the PluginConfiguration constructor I set the default value as LastPublishDate = DateTime.MinValue;

Well you have to make sure to call the save configuration method. 

Now I understand what you're doing. The challenge though is display in Emby apps.

mutu310

@@Luke that sounds great, so I just run a Plugin.Instance.SaveConfiguration(); every time I update the config programmatically, correct?

yup. where is this going to get displayed? i would imagine they might work with regular movie suggestions, but that's probably it.

mutu310

For now I am using Notifications, but maybe I will manage to expand it to look a bit like a library one day, a bit like the TuneIn plugin works. It would be giving movie suggestions.

mutu310

OK, the first alpha version is ready. Tested on Windows 10 and Synology NAS. May I get a developer ID please? :)

Edited by mutu310

Please post a beta version in the forum to pick up support and work out any issues before we put it in the catalog.  Thanks.