Switching from Plex to Emby.

Rsslone

TL;DR - Are there any plexpy forks to emby yet or something similar? I switch TODAY if this can be a thing.

So I've been a Plex Pass Subscriber for almost three years now and I've been happy with it myself. Recently me and different members of my family took the plunge and switched to plex and sling as our primary media source for content and cut our cable bills. It wasn't until then certain problems presented itself with plex. I decided to give Emby a go for the first time as a test and was blown away with basic features that are not a part of plex like having RT and suggestions right there in the app along with live TV support with a guide. I really really want to switch to emby but the lack of support of features like PlexPy is a deal breaker for me. I've read a thread that someone else had a similar desire but it didnt result in anything but that was in 2015, has anything changed or is emby working on anything?

- A lover of self hosted media

post-179278-0-38137900-1484063671_thumb.png

• Like 1

legallink

There isn't a PlexPy avaiable that I'm aware of for emby.  But I could be wrong.  There is a stats plugin that a member or two have been developing, but that isn't quite the same thing.

Yeah this doesn't look like it does a tiny fraction of PlexPy. Its almost physically painful how bad I need Emby to get more third party support from great software like Ombi and PlexPy.

Ombi has reached out to us so there may be work going on there. The best thing to do is go to those developers and tell them you want their apps to support Emby.

Yeah I am a tester for Ombi and there have been people asking for it but the dev is a busy guy so one can hope for that one. I suppose I should go contact the devs for PlexPy to see if its possible. I also made a post on the Plex forums and people say the transcoding is better on plex. Is this true at all and what's the near future of Emby looking like?

That might have been true in the past but I don't believe so anymore. If people are giving those opinions after trying us a year ago, or even six months ago, a lot has changed.

Thanks for the information! I think I will dual host with Plex and Emby for a while and see how Plex DVR turns out. Hopefully I can get PlexPy to support Emby or I'll cry it out for a bit and get over it. May the best software win xD.

The answer for PlexPy is a big "Nah". Very unlikely to happen unless someone makes a new program from scratch or Emby builds it into the platform *nudge nudge, wink wink*

• 1 month later...
CBers

The answer for PlexPy is a big "Nah".

I got the same response when it was mentioned to the dev (jonnywong16) just this last week.

We need @@chef or @@spootdev to fork it and code for Emby :)

I think it's written in Python.

Jdiesel

To see what users are watching, what quality they are watching, from what devices, if they are direct playing or transcoding, what times and dates are the busiest, all of which can be used by the server admin to deliver a better experience.

I use PlexPy to track when TV series have been watched by all users and delete the episode after, make sure that heavily accessed media can be direct played by the users, plan server maintenance around quiet periods, and use it as a guide to see what people are enjoying and get more media like it.

Edited by Jdiesel

To see what users are watching, what quality they are watching, if they are direct playing or transcoding, what times and dates are the busiest, all of which can be used by the server admin to deliver a better experience.

You can do this in the Emby Server dashboard without any external software.

Why not check out Reggi's statistics plugin?

+1

It good plugin, well done to him.

I test it many time and it good.

Jdiesel

+1

It good plugin, well done to him.

I test it many time and it good.

Agreed, really looking forward to this.

• Like 1

Rumbaar

I use PlexPy to track when TV series have been watched by all users and delete the episode after, make sure that heavily accessed media can be direct played by the users, plan server maintenance around quiet periods, and use it as a guide to see what people are enjoying and get more media like it.

Wow, you do a lot of micromanagement of your media library.  So glad I can just set and forget mine.  Storage is cheap, I just save everything.   But sounds like you have a huge userbase.

Jdiesel

Wow, you do a lot of micromanagement of your media library. So glad I can just set and forget mine. Storage is cheap, I just save everything. But sounds like you have a huge userbase.

Not a huge userbase, 5 users, but I rent a dedicated server where storage isn't cheap so I am stuck with 16TB.

Not a huge userbase, 5 users, but I rent a dedicated server where storage isn't cheap so I am stuck with 16TB.

Can I ask where you rent from?

Why not check out Reggi's statistics plugin?

I've seen this plugin buts its still really young in development and not yet close to being on par with plexpy.

I've seen this plugin buts its still really young in development and not yet close to being on par with plexpy.

But I also have yet to see you participating in the discussion for that plugin, so why not get involved and give Reggi some feedback in order to help it improve.

But I also have yet to see you participating in the discussion for that plugin, so why not get involved and give Reggi some feedback in order to help it improve.

I might. I've been pretty busy lately and have not really even been able to keep up with my server, thankfully its mostly automated.

CBers

If you can install it and then ask @@reggi what else you require, then perhaps we can get close to PlexPY :)

Jdiesel

I rent from Hetzner. They have an auction site where they sell off older, consumer grade, hardware at decent prices. If you accept the limitations of the service it really is a good deal.

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market