nginx proxy - possible to authenticate emby with nginx?

samsung_user

samsung_user

Have read multiple topics here about different setups that have nginx reverse proxy before emby server.

It's never been mentioned explicitly, but have gathered from the context that it might be possible for nginx authentication to pass auth data to emby to log certain user automatically in, so user shouldn't enter login details in two different places.

So what I want to accomplish, is for the nginx to provide the authentication, and pass that data to emby, so user could skip logging in via emby interface.

Have I understood this correctly? Is this possible?

pir8radio

I don't "think" that is true... emby uses a hash (or maybe CriptoJS) via json to authenticate.  Nginx can not produce those hashed passwords to be able to pass them to the emby server.  There may be some other API way to authenticate with HTTP but I doubt it... Someone else might be able to speak to that.   You might be able to setup all of your emby users without passwords, and just pass the username to emby.. I have not tried that... Then let nginx do the authentication... but there is nothing to stop a user from getting to another users account.  So, I'm sticking with no.

Edited by pir8radio