Network Config

rsaxman

I realize this isn't directly MB3 related but I still hope someone can offer some suggestions. I am trying to figure out the best way to set up my home network. I currently have a Netgear wireless adapter (wnc2001) running into a switch, which in turn has my TV, Bluray, and HTPC connected to it. I feel that this probably isn't the best set up, but don't know enough about networking to know what would be better. I do not have wired internet in the living room, and running a line isn't really an option at the present time. Also, the TV isn't WiFi ready so it has to be hard lined. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Koleckai Silvestri

I have a Cable Modem. This is attached to a four port wireless router (Netgear WNDR3300). Using gigabit ethernet, the router ports are attached to my computer, wife's desktop, and a 5 port switch (Netgear GS605) which is the media center. The fourth port is an open patch cable for my laptop. The media center switch is then connected to the DirecTV box, Bluray player, Roku, XBOX360. The television itself doesn't have a connection. All other devices including a Wii, printers, phones, tablets and 4 computers upstairs connect via Wireless protocols. Mostly 802.11g and 802.11n at this time. 

I need to boost the wireless upstairs so am planning on adding a wireless bridge using a Netgear WNDR3700 router I have. That would give 4 semi-wired ports upstairs. If that doesn't work, I'll need to run ethernet upstairs. Just don't want to drill any holes right now. Probably upgrade to 802.11ac sometime later this year as well.

Not a lot of configuration needed for home networks these days. Just go with the highest speeds you can.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Guest virtualtinker

I was once using a similar configuration where my downstairs TV and gaming systems were hard wired into a switch that was connected via a wireless bridge to my upstairs router and couldn't run a hard wire due to problems with my living room's layout.  While not the most ideal solution, what I ended up doing was use a Powerline adapter to use my electric lines to essentially be my hardwire.  It will cost you about $50 and you essentially plug run an ethernet cable from your switch to a device that plugs in one outlet, then you do the same on the other end.  I will admit it's somewhat ghetto running a low voltage signal on a high voltage wire, but it's been running like a champ since I installed it 6 months ago.  Realistically, you won't be able to push more than 100 megabits across the wire, but considering you're not dealing with dropped packets and re-transmits, your living room setup will more than likely become considerably more stable.  In my case, my little girl is subjecting me to watching Cars multiple times a day direct playing a 1080p MKV on our Roku with no problems.

bennymac

I realize this isn't directly MB3 related but I still hope someone can offer some suggestions. I am trying to figure out the best way to set up my home network. I currently have a Netgear wireless adapter (wnc2001) running into a switch, which in turn has my TV, Bluray, and HTPC connected to it. I feel that this probably isn't the best set up, but don't know enough about networking to know what would be better. I do not have wired internet in the living room, and running a line isn't really an option at the present time. Also, the TV isn't WiFi ready so it has to be hard lined. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well you can tweak stuff depending on the layout of your place but do you actually have any problems with your currently setup? ie. is streaming content slow etc?

If your TV and HTPC are close to each other connecting the HTPC to the TV via a HDMI cable is ideal especially if your HTPC is dedicated to just serving your media. Just depends what you have at your disposal!

In terms of wireless i wouldn't introduce another access point as a bridge. Bridges are slow and wireless isn't full duplex. But again depends on your setup and if you do much file copying between pc's.

Also why do you have your TV and Bluray player connected to your switch :rolleyes:

Edited by bennymac

TV and Bluray have things like Pandora and Netflix. Contributes to the WAF (she claims it's easier). I could at least do away with the BD though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One issue that I am having is that I can't see the items in he living rom through the wnc2001 in my network table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My "bedroom" is in a converted garage, seperate from the house. There is a cable for TV running in there, but no Ethernet.

What I did was buy a device called a MOCA adaptor . It allows you to run your network signal through the cable. It has both a cable output and an Ethernet connection, so you can connect your TV and any network device (inc. a network switch). The one I got has a limit of just under 300Mbps, but I believe you can get faster ones for more money.

Sent from my Nexus 7