Emby Server - Unraid

rpowers

rpowers

Hi,

I have a question regarding transcoding. Sorry if this has already been answered, I did a search but was not able to find an answer.  I don't know if it's a server setting or app setting so I thought I would start in the linux forum.

I noticed when I try to play a movie through the Emby app on an ipad from my unraid server it will max out a single core of my cpu while the other 3 cores remain around 2-3% load. The movie will sometimes pause to buffer as a result.  Is this normal behaviour when playing through the emby app?  Is there any way to allow it to use more cores?  Is there another transcode setting I should be looking at?

I have a core i5-6500 and 16GB of RAM.

I should also mention that if I open the same file with VLC on the ipad I get flawless playback an it barely registers on my cpu load.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan.

thatoneguy99

What do you show in your transcoding section of the server? This is what mine is set to and I have no problems playing on any device.

a8167552b01b81aa7bb4d87cc84c7bfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rpowers

Yeah, those look like the default changes which I have not changed.  I installed emby on an android tablet and it seemed to balance the load over all of the cores.  It looks like it has something to do with the ipad.  I will post this over there.

Thanks.